View topic - A day in the Ponyville Library

A day in the Ponyville Library

In character Pony Stuff. You can use this forum for any public, free for all roleplay.

A day in the Ponyville Library

Postby Moonshade » Fri May 06, 2011 12:23 pm

The Library is a peculiar looking place. Actually it's a tree, a giant tree which seems to still be alive despite the fact the inside is hollow.

The librarian in charge seems to be a Purple Unicorn, with a magic spark as a cutiemark. She is often accompanied by a green dragon, people call him "Spike".

It is a quiet place, with everypony being concentrated on their studies about various subjects. It is the perfect place for a Bookworm. It also seems to be sometimes a place where people gather to party. But mostly those are surprise parties and not on the regular order.
Last edited by Moonshade on Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonshade

Re: Ponyville Library

Postby Moonshade » Fri May 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Moonshade entered once again this wonderful place. He just loved it, the dusty old books. The charming handwriting on parchment. And the smell... He could never get tired of it.

So he sat down at a table, picked at random, and took a book out of his bag. It was rather big and the cover seems to have already endured quite a bit. However the inside was perfectly fine. It was a book about Advanced Magic, something he just started to learn recently. But he made progress, slowly at first, but now he learns new things almost every day. The feeling of accomplishment when the spell you have worked on simply works is out of this world. It was for that feeling he came back here, every single day. Just sitting at a table and reading books. It was everything he needed to be happy, to feel happy.

His next trick is particularly tricky, it is a spell that turns water into ice. Now that may sound simple at first, but it is a rather complex mechanism. Sadly it isn't just a reverse spell of melting ice. Because even though you can heat something, you can not so easily freeze it. The spell uses a special kind of magic that takes away the heat by storing it somewhere else. The example in the book is rather simple. The picture shows a bowl of water and next to it a piece of paper. Then when you take away the heat from the bowl the water freezes, but this heat has to be put somewhere, so the author suggested to let it burn a piece of paper. He also said that you have to be really careful, that if you release the heat into the air, the air will suddenly expand causing a small explosion which can be devastating depending on the amount of it. Theoretically one could simply release it by small charges, but the amount of time and energy is not worth it.
Last edited by Moonshade on Sun May 08, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moonshade

Re: A day in the Ponyville Library

Postby Diamond Charm » Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 am

Wearing a nice white shirt collar with violet frills down the middle Diamond Charm enters the library and gives a low bow to the lady librarian. After briefly chatting with her host, the bluish-emerald maned unicorn pony quickly begins scouring the library for books on Equestrian fashion, specifically local attire.

Diamond Charm lets out a sigh. Though she spends a good deal of her time in libraries, she still prefers the open air of a marketplace, or the brightly colored decor of a tailor's shop, but with the residents of Ponyville displaying such exquisitely diverse tastes in fashion, she knew that she simply had to take in everything she could about this quaint but entirely welcoming village. As she begins flipping her way through the first of several selected titles, she uses her pony magic to pull a brush out of her saddlebag and brush her already meticulously groomed mane.

Frustration begins to well, however, as she realizes quickly that the first book contains more information about the fashionistas that developed the local fashion trends than on the clothing itself. The book lands with a loud thud as she grabs the book with her mouth and throws it unceremoniously to the ground beside her table. The second book she had grabbed was a look into the social context of the fashion. She mutters to herself, "Interesting, but NOT what I'm looking for!" Another book loudly plops to the ground. The third, a look into a Mare named Rarity, and her unique approach to implementing magic into dressmaking, a skill that Diamond already uses in her own work, though to an admittedly lesser degree of success. "I already KNOW all this!" This book is thrown across the room as Dee's originally meager selection of resource material dwindles further and further. The last work at her disposal is a recent magazine, with an article from renowned designer, Hoity Toity. Diamond was certain this article would provide some valuable insight.

Diamond immediately regrets flipping the table in her rage. In addition to the loud, attention-drawing noise, a lone pencil soars through the air to strike Moonshade in the back of the head.
These ponies don't wanna party! They want to paaaaar-tay!
-Great Philosopher and Wisemare Pinkie Pie
Diamond Charm

Postby Moonshade » Sun May 08, 2011 10:15 am

A sudden pain in the back of his head made Moonshade snap out of his lecture. He quickly turned around to look at the object he received, only to see a pencil. "Why would somepony throw a Pencil at me?" he thought, until he saw an Unicorn next to a flipped over table. By the looks of it she must be pretty frustrated with whatever research she was doing.

Moonshade approached her, and put the Table back upright using a simple Levitation spell. The table glowed in a dark blue upon being back its feet again. He then asked:"Why so angry? Is there something that upsets you? And more importantly, can I help?". He looked at her waiting for an answer.
Moonshade

Postby Masterweaver » Sun May 08, 2011 12:09 pm

CRSHBLANGPAMWHOOSH tinkle tink "I CAN PAY FOR THE DAMAGES!"

Marbles, still smoking from whatever explosion sent him crashing through the roof, stood up from the now utterly devastated desk and attempted to get his bearings. "Books. So.... bookstore. Or library. Maybe a firewood shop, if I'm outside Equestria... Hmmm."
Masterweaver

Postby Diamond Charm » Sun May 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Looking around for a quick and easy exit from the situation and seeing none, Diamond nervously laughs as Moonshade approaches.

"Oh my goodness no, I can't accept any further kindness from you! Especially not after such an... inelegant display such as that. I simply can't find the books I need here, that's all. Though this library is well stocked, it really doesn't compare to the ones in Manehattan. No, au contraire, mon frère - I really would like to make up for the trouble I've already caused, interrupting your lecture! Perhaps... you need an assistant for the afternoon? somepony to help you locate books, or help out in some other capacity? Oh, I feel like I must do SOMETHING after causing such a commot..."

She is stopped cold by a commotion. She looks on in abject disgust and horror, "My goodness, are you alright?"
Diamond Charm

Postby LennonFan » Mon May 09, 2011 3:00 am

"I'm a Doctor!" shouts a brown haired stallion with a pocketwatch cutie mark, bursting into the library and rushing to the fallen pony.
LennonFan

Postby Masterweaver » Mon May 09, 2011 4:50 am

"I am perfectly fine, thank you. This is hardly the worst that's happened to me."

Marbles pauses. "Actually, I'm not sure what the worst thing that's happened to me is. Maybe it was that time when I slipped down the mountainside while carrying unstable explosives and landed in a thornbush forest before being flung into the air by an explosion and getting hit by lightning...? No, that wasn't it. Still, I learned my lesson: ALWAYS WEAR HIKING BOOTS WHEN IT'S RAINING."
Masterweaver

Postby Moonshade » Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 am

After seeing that the pony which crashed trough the roof is alright he turned back to the other Unicorn and answered: "Nah I'm fine I would much more prefer helpin' you. Either way I'm done with my book. And in all seriousness I already read it twice. So what did you say for a book you were looking for? I own a rather big library myself perhaps it is somewhere in there?"
Moonshade

Postby Diamond Charm » Mon May 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Embarrassed as she looks at the dense reading material Moonshade is accustomed to reading by comparison to the thin and easy-to-read books and magazines cluttering around her table, Diamond laughs nervously, "Well, I may not have scoured this library hard enough. I'm new to town and I have to admit I'm rather taken with this lovely little hamlet. The thing that interests me the most, though, is the local fashion. I was hoping to read up on current trends and the evolution of these trends - you see, in Manehattan, everything fashion related is so cut-and-dry, and nopony thinks for themselves, but here...~! We have a creative atmosphere blossoming with personality! I guess... I got a little overexcited before." Her blush becomes visible, even through her aquamarine colored coat, and she turns her head to the side, "I'm certain there's a book around this dusty old library..." She pauses and looks at the librarian, concerned that she may have overheard the slight, "That will satisfy my needs."
Diamond Charm

Postby Lunar Melody » Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 pm

A young Pegasus with a coat of dark sapphire quietly sauntered through the door of the library, giving a pleasant nod to the librarian before continuing on her way towards the other side of the hollow tree. She glanced up towards the ceiling casually, doing a double take as she was jolted from her calm routine at having noticed the now gaping hole in what should have been roof. She shook her long, well-kept plum colored mane and made a soft sputtering noise as she looked to Marbles, Moonshade, and Diamond Charm, glancing them over before cautiously approaching them.

"Are... are you all alright? What happened here?" she asked softly, watching the other ponies rather warily. It was nothing against them, of course, Lunar Melody was just rather shy. She was more than willing to help others if they needed it, but it didn't mean she wouldn't be afraid of unfamiliar ponies. Though, she was quite certain she had seen Moonshade here rather often while she herself was here researching. She shifted her hind legs a bit, a golden treble clef adorning her flank, as she waited nervously for a response.
Lunar Melody

Postby LennonFan » Tue May 10, 2011 1:02 am

The mysterious pony from earlier looked the new arrival. Pointing at Marbles with a forehoof, he explained. "That pony made a great big hole in the roof, but he's okay. Somehow."
LennonFan

Postby Moonshade » Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Moonshade looks at Diamond Charm. "I think what you are looking for might not be written in books yet. After all Trends, are Trends and change rapidly and not everypony is capable to make a new magazine about it all the time. I think you should write them! After all these books were written because they were lacking.". He gestures at the bookshelves."And Trends are a really interesting subject as they explain the way the current society works. I would think of it as a Snapshot of the current way of thinking. And of course it al-". He stopped there, he was getting too involved and will probably bore that poor filly to sleep. "Oh well I'm sorry! I kind of got carried away." He then noticed the blush and got kind of uneasy, he just couldn't really say anything interesting anymore and just mumbled:"Well... I-I will just go back at my place."
Moonshade

Postby Masterweaver » Tue May 10, 2011 4:42 pm

"...No seriously, where am I?" Marbles looked about the library. "This doesn't look like anywhere in Canterlot or Manehatten..."
Masterweaver

Postby Diamond Charm » Tue May 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Diamond grins at Moonshade, "I do love a pony with culture. I am unfortunately wrapped up in other research that I myself have to conduct, but otherwise I would certainly begin working on this new fantastic project. No, I'd come to this library out of personal curiosity. In bigger cities, trends are well documented for marketing purposes. I should have known that a smaller village wouldn't have the same resources available, but OH would you listen to me ramble!" She laughs coyly.

She watches him carefully for a moment before jumping with a start, "Where ARE my manners? My name is Diamond Charm. I'm a fashion historian from Manehattan, and let me assure you the pleasure is all mine. And you are?"
Diamond Charm

Postby Lunar Melody » Tue May 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Lunar Melody looked to the pony that had addressed her inquiry, the one with a pocket watch on his flank. "Oh, goodness! That does sound awful, but at least he seems okay... afraid we can't say the same for the roof." She turned her plum colored eyes to the hole in the ceiling, giving a gentle batting of her wings to drift up to inspect the damage.

"Shouldn't be too terribly hard to repair, though. Just a bit of patching, really." she said, before descending back to the floor of the library with the others. She heard another pony introducing herself, gasping quietly as she was appalled at her own manners.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry. My name is Lunar Melody. Lovely to meet you all." she said with a slight bow to the others, though mainly addressing the brown pony as he was the one that had spoken to her.
Lunar Melody

Postby LennonFan » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 am

"I'm..." the stallion began, "new in town." It was true enough.
LennonFan

Postby Zephyr Haste » Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 am

A young Pegasus comes in for one more low pass over Ponyville before heading toward the library. He is fairly thin, but fit, with a sleek silver coat, a pitch black mane, and a black and orange tail. His expression is a mixture of impatience, as if he can't stand to be going anything less than top speed.

"Sigh, I hate when the family sends me on these book runs, dusty old libraries are sooo boring," he grumbles to himself as he coasts in for a landing. As he makes his final approach, something catches his eye. Turning to look, he sees a gaping hole in the roof of the building.

"Well, that's not something you see everyday. Maybe this won't be so bad after all."

He lands, and struts up to the entrance. As he shoulders his way inside, he takes in the unusual seen in front of him. An academic looking pony sits in the midst of the wreckage of the ceiling, flanked by a stallion with a pocket watch for a cutie mark. The stallion was currently engaged with a Pegasus with a brilliant sapphire coat. He makes a mental note to talk to her later, than continues to survey the room. Two unicorns are standing off to the side, one mare, one stallion. The mare seemed to be rather taken with the stallion, and had apparently been mildly flirting with him quite recently, based on the bemused expression on the stallion's face.

"Well, at least it's better than book hunting," he chuckles quietly.
Last edited by Zephyr Haste on Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyr Haste

Postby Moonshade » Wed May 11, 2011 5:15 am

Moonshade looked at Diamond Charm and told her his name: "M-my name is Moonshade! Pleased to meet you Diamond Charm!". He gained back some confidence and asked: "So you said you are new here? You also mentioned that you came from Manehattan? How was it there? I actually never got out of here. I read about the big cities in Equestria in some books. But I never got around to actually visit them. And allow me to ask, is there another reason than just fashion for your decision?". He then stopped and realized, "Oh sorry for asking so many questions. I don't want to intrude into your private life.". He chuckled, grinned and waited eagerly for her answer.
Moonshade

Postby Diamond Charm » Wed May 11, 2011 8:18 am

Diamond smiles at his enthusiasm, and shakes her head as he finishes his bombardment of questions, "Okay, I THINK I got all that?

-Yes, I am new here.
-Yes, I am from Manehattan.
-And I don't like to brag, BUT... Life in Manehattan can be pretty nice for a pony. The extravagance is only bested by - and mind you this is marginal, my little pony - the best royal Soirées they throw at Canterlot. Why, a pony with a little ambition and no money to his name could go far there, because the opportunities are simply ENDLESS. But, the day-to-day pace is... much too quick, and the deadlines, the crowdedness, and the dealings one must engage in with the random ponies one meets is so... impersonal. Whereas here, someponies can get to know everypony who trots into town, there it would simply be impossible."

She pauses for a moment, "And for your last question... How did you mean, 'my decision'?"
Diamond Charm

Postby Moonshade » Wed May 11, 2011 8:46 am

Moonshade leaned against the table. "With decision I meant coming here, but I think you kind of explained it already! But the way you describe city life it sounds rather horrible. I think I will rather stay here in Ponyville there are enough nice ponies!". He paused, and continued: "And new ones are arriving quite often!". He chuckled to himself.
Moonshade

Postby Zephyr Haste » Wed May 11, 2011 9:04 am

The Silver Pegasus Chuckles again, "Called it."

He saunters off to the side, keeping his eyes on the commotion, even as he starts to look for the weather reference he had been sent to retrieve. It was quite amusing to see how effectively the unicorn mare had made the stallion so breathless in the short time he had been watching.

Finding a copy of the book he had been sent for, he stashes the book at the checkout desk, then begins to make his way over to the sapphire Pegasus. As he approaches, a flash of gold caught his eye. Glancing at the source, he sees the gold treble clef that is the Pagasus's cutie mark. He is surprised. He hadn't pegged her as such. Intrigued, he quickens his pace, closing the distance between him and the Pegasus.
Zephyr Haste

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 11, 2011 9:11 am

Marbles sighed. "Alright, fine. I'll just get an atlas." He walked out of the pile of rubble, muttering something under his breath about research needing more respect.
Masterweaver

Postby Diamond Charm » Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 am

"Hold that thought, Moonshade," Diamond smiles, turning toward the dejected science pony, "Ponyville, dear! You've landed yourself in Ponyville. It's a town in Equestria that's found itself dangerously close to the Everfree forest! Why, just imagine if you'd flown into that mess of woodland terrors!"

She turns back to Moonshade, "Well ACTUALLY, I am here only on a break. I've come to attend this party, you see," She pulls an invitation to Pinkie Pie's party out of her bag and floats it closer to Moonshade so he can see, "and I'm afraid I won't be staying in town for too long."

She gets an idea, however, as she gently files the invitation back into her bag, "Oh, but I'd love it if you could go with me! To the party, that is. Maybe someday to Manehattan as well, if you'd like to see it - It's not so bad, it IS my home, after all. I'm certain you would be just as pleased with my home as I am with yours, because the grass is always greener in the other pasture - especially when on vacation."
Diamond Charm

Postby LennonFan » Wed May 11, 2011 12:06 pm

"I went to Manehattan once," said the stallion suddenly. "Then I went up to Canterlot."
LennonFan

Next

Return to Public Roleplay