View topic - Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

In character Pony Stuff. You can use this forum for any public, free for all roleplay.

Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

Postby IHaveNoNick » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:27 pm

In response to Diamond Charm's forum revitalization act, I, citizen NoNick, hereby repsond to the call. This thread is public and meant to be semi-serious. I had a lot of trouble trying to think of who I wanted to play - initially I was going to do something for my OC Rhythm and take up DiamondCharm's suggestion of a pre-cutie mark storyline, but I don't give enough attention to Spanner so, here's an entire thread for his shenanigans! A brief history for those who have not met him in the chat roleplay; Spanner was a Manehatten resident and, like others who came from the city to Ponyville, he didn't quite fit in. He's adept at mechanical problems and sometimes views pony's issues in life similarly to a puzzle, something that can be "fixed". He is neither loud nor soft spoken. His main character flaw is a simultaneous desire to fit into the "high life" of dinner parties and culture that he never could swing at home, and a competing desire to forget about the whole thing. Spanner wanted to move from the city to go on a real "adventure", having read about plenty, although he doubts his own intentions sometimes and wonders if he's just running away from social problems back home.

Since the forums can be flexible on time, this will be "in the past", back in Manehatten. Spanner has a small workshop in the city; he's known for being dependable on any project and prices things fairly. You could be a customer, a fellow "uncultured" pony, or perhaps a snooty pony who has nothing but disdain for a mere working class colt! I opted to go this route to let players experiment; my pre-cutie mark Rhythm storyline would be a bit more structured. I'm not a forum roleplayer, I have never roleplayed in a forum setting so, here goes!
----

Early evening Manehatten was an exciting place. Ponies were off from work and starting to cross the sweeping boulevards, en route to all manners of social gatherings, shows, and parties. Vendors excitedly marketed their wares, and elaborately decorated carriages taxied the well to do from one corner of the city to the other. Understandably, there could be some awful traffic during that hour, and sometimes it was better to walk. Besides, an evening stroll was decidedly more pleasant in the late spring than the summer due to the generally pleasant ocean breezes that wafted over the brightly lit streets. Manehatten was certainly the place to be for a burgeoning socialite; dances and drama, food of all sorts, and meeting new and influential residents was all part of the shoulder rubbing that went on behind the closed doors of apartments and highrises across the city. As the sun began to set, the streets were alight with a pleasantly warm glow, and lights began to wink on in window panes all over the city. Of course, not everything was picturesque - the sound of hundreds of clopping hooves and wagon wheels rolling against cobblestone was a rather irksome noise, only supplemented by more-than-occassional taunting, arguing, and cursing between random city residents.

Spanner's shop was a small but sturdily built structure on the corner of Mane Street and Galloping Ave. The light was almost always on, and a small sign marked the business - at the moment, it doubled as his small apartment as well. It was well situated, juxtaposed between where the "imagined" city of fine dining and dancing and the "real" city of late evenings and desperate dreams began. Spanner was always willing to take on new work and was a young, rising star in the area; helping repair the main water wheel on a large luxury fairy was his most recent accomplishment, and one that brought him a bit closer to financial stability. At this rate, he could perhaps afford to do some more schooling or even buy himself a nice suit! The opportunities seems limitless...but only after hard work, and how much hard work would be needed to meet those ends was not a well defined goal.

At the moment, Spanner was sitting down on a second hand wooden stool, leaned over on his work table. His small light was usually good enough, although he had been using candles as of late and the smoky wax and inconsistent light could be a pain. A half concentrated and half frustrated expression was sealed on his face as he tried to fit a cylindrical gear into some sort of device while holding a magnifying glass in the other hoof. Whenever he felt he got close to mating the pieces, something would slip, or the light would wane, or the metal would start to bind. But this latest attempt was deliberate, his angle of approach perfect. He definitely would get it this time, so long as there weren't any concentrating destroying interruptions...
IHaveNoNick

Re: Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

Postby Whiteeyes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:15 pm

"Hello? Is anypony here?" a moss green pegasus asked as she walked in. Her head was bandaged and one of her wings was in a sling. "Um, I heard you fix stuff and I have something that needs fixed."
This signature needs to be about 20% more Mr. Bunny.

Countdown to the Zombie Appocalypse: 87 DAYS
The first time you see this, copy it in your signature and subtract one.
Whiteeyes

Postby IHaveNoNick » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Spanner looked up from his work and waved to the newcomer - he couldn't immediately see who it was, since a pile of random metal items was in the way, although the top of his head was visible as he hopped off his seat and approached the door. "One second..." there was the sound of clattering metal, and an "ouch!" It wasn't a matter of Spanner being disorganized, rather, the workshop was to small for all the projects he took on. Finally he came into view, waving again with a front hoof. He wore a brimmed baseball cap and a pair of gloves, as much as a pony could have gloves. "Good evening! Yes, I do fix plenty of things. Kindly tell me about your problem and I'd be happy to try to come up with a solution!" he offered an enthusiastic smile, waiting patiently for the answer.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Whiteeyes » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:08 pm

"Um, well, you see, um, I kinda crashed and broke this necklace do you think you could fix it maybe?" she said, starting off normal and fading out as it went.

Whiteeyes

Postby IHaveNoNick » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:21 pm

The colt cocked his head slightly, angling it towards her. "I uh...beg your pardon, Miss, I don't believe I heard you that first time around..."
IHaveNoNick

Postby Whiteeyes » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 pm

"Um...." she just sort of looks like she wants to talk, but is too shy to. She then fishes out a series of small gears and a broken locket. Judging from the pieces, it was apparently a miniature music box that would play when opened.

Whiteeyes

Postby Sleepy Mix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:20 am

"Hi there, is your shop still open?" Ruby walks into the store. He had a small brown pouch stuck under his wing. "Oh I see you have another customer... I'll wait my turn." Ruby stood in line behind the other pegasus and looked around the store.
Sleepy Mix

Postby Diamond Charm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:05 am

Cherry Jubilee, a white coated mare with a pinkish red mane stumbled down the street, balancing her Bucktrola brand phonograph on her back. She was terribly distraught by the loss of her prized antique, and the moment it began to malfunction she began eagerly searching for a suitable technician to assist her with her beloved work of art.

Standing before Spanner's workshop, she took a deep breath. She entered the business, head held high - Manehattan's greatest dessert baker's daughter must NOT be seen as being weak or distraught. She opened her mouth to make a demand, but glanced around at the queue and shut it as quickly as it had begun to gape, "I am willing to wait," She offers helpfully.
These ponies don't wanna party! They want to paaaaar-tay!
-Great Philosopher and Wisemare Pinkie Pie
Diamond Charm

Postby Sleepy Mix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:33 pm

[ Make a wish, quickly! ] "What?" Ruby whispered to himself. [ I heard a rumor that if you stand between two mares you can make a wish. ] Ruby looked at the mare before him and then at the mare behind him before quickly looking at the ceiling blushing. [ Oooh, I like that wish! ] Ruby was confused for a moment. [ I can hear your thoughts you know. ] Ruby blushed a bit more.
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Spanner waved a hoof invitingly. "Come on in, plenty of room for everypony!" The literal breath of fresh air was a pleasant break from his work. Still, the comment was a bit of a stretch; aside from the worn out welcome mat, there was hardly separating anything from the entrance and the main portion of the workshop. While he was still busy with his initial customer, there was plenty to occupy the interest of his new guests. Gears, tools, and devices of all sorts hung from the wooden rafters like mechanical stalagtites. An impressive and home-made tool box sat in the corner, with all variety of weather-worn and trusty devices standing by to serve their purpose. Nearby, a large metallic gear was carefully balanced on a wooden table. A small, hoof-scrawled note sat on top. Drive wheel for town hall backup generator. Fitted piece with original, sanded off oxidation. Iron workers reformed teeth, I reshapened with file accordingly. Do not return until payment is furnished! His small work space candle flickered, either from the slight breeze that coursed through the stuffy room or from the new excitement that managed to brighten an otherwise dull day.

His attention was still on Whiteyes, and he carefully offered to examine the box. Thankfully, his magnifying glass was already set up, and he swung it over with the slight sound of metal against metal. No doubt the joints could use a little oil for all the movement they encountered. "Like I said, I'm not...a jeweler..." he paused, narrowing an eye to examine something a bit better under the flickering light. "But! This has gears, and gears are one of my things, if you haven't noticed!" he smiled reassuringly, hoping to put her a bit more at ease. He opened up a small, nearby drawer and retrieved a set of precision ground, hobby tools - those ponies that tried to use cheap stuff were just asking for ruined threads and botched projects. He gently clicked the locket open and closed a few times, noticing it was dragging a bit. Obviously, the music wasn't playing. He set the gears down aside carefully in a small, glass tray. "Hmm. I can manage this. Do you have some time?" He wanted to see what the other ponies needed, since a rushed job was never a good job. Still, he wanted to save Whiteeyes a trip; while he didn't always enjoy working on things right in front of customers, he suspected he may have hurt Whiteyes' feelings if he sent her away. "Let me just see what these other ponies need, and we can get to it!" he offered with another smile, trying to ensure she wouldn't be uncomfortable.

He pointed then to Ruby with a free hoof. "OK, sorry about that, what do we got going on today?" For now, Cherry Jublee would have to wait, although perhaps to her relief, Spanner didn't seem to recognize her.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Whiteeyes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:11 pm

((It's not Whiteeyes; Whiteeyes is an earth pony, she's a pegasus.))

"Um, well, I guess I could wait if that works."
she said, smiling slightly as she backed up a bit to give the others room, accidentally jarring the table and knocking the carefully balanced generator gear that started to roll along the floor. The gear then bumped into a grandfather clock that toppled onto a shelf scattering books all over the place, including one that landed on the pegasus's already injured head with a loud thud. She stood there dazed for a second before muttering "Ow." and laying down.

Whiteeyes

Postby Sleepy Mix » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:11 am

Ruby looked behind him without making eye contact with Cherry Jubilee. "Um, d-do you want t-to go before me?" He asked nervously. Ruby instantly got distracted by the rain of books. Ruby was only hit by a small book. [ Miss Mossgreen there wasn't so lucky. ] Ruby quickly made his way to her. "Um... are you alright?"

(( I didn't expect chat would have this effect... I wrote /me instead of Ruby. And in my former posts aswell. Thank you 'preview' button. ))
Sleepy Mix

Postby Diamond Charm » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Cherry Jubilee scoffs at Ruby, "There was no sense in that! I really was willing to wait."

She approaches Spanner with a less than confident smile, "Hello, there. I came in because I'm told you're the best, and the best is precisely what I need for the job at hoof," She turns to the side so Spanner can take the phonograph from her back and gives him a deadly serious look, "This is an antique now - do be careful with it. Any new scratches that appear will be coming straight out of the final commission price."
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:45 pm

His initial concern was for the already injured pegasus, who he quickly offered a hoof towards. Thankfully, nothing appeared to be damage, but it did sort of remind him of the fact that other ponies may not be aware about how cramped the quarters were sometimes. Ruby would find an interesting mix of literature around him, although some of the pages were folded now. Titles included "Gurus of the Gears", "When its Borked, you Need more Torque", and "101 Ways to Use Teflon Tape". He cleared his throat slightly. "Don't worry about the mess, I'll attend to it in a moment, so long as everypony's allright."

Satisfied that there were no terrible injuries, he listened to Cherry's offer. There were some conflicting messages - she had seemed a bit reluctant to approach at first, but the demand was enough to catch some negative attention. Still, it wasn't anything Spanner wasn't used to hearing in Manehatten. Threats and ultimatums seemed to go hoof and hoof with everyday negotiation. His immediate interest of course, was not in the mare presenting the device but in the phonograph itself. He cradled it as one carefully grabs a baby, gently setting it down on the nearby worktable. An excited tone was only released in a hushed voice, as if he didn't wish to wake the injured machine from its slumber. "Ah, a talking machine! I'm not much of a music pony but, I do think I have a record on hand somewhere." Perhaps it was convenient that the pile of media had fallen everywhere, since the black disc in question was not too far away. He carefully retrieved it, hoof sliding it out of the protective sleeve to expose a yellowed label. After setting it gently into the device and giving a slight nod towards his customer, he cranked the mechanical phonograph and lowered the needle accordingly. After a few moments of white noise, there was dialogue; incidentally, it was his own. Still, the voice was distorted, varying in pitch. Still, the recording played for a few moments. "Step three. Maintain grip with one hoof on the large nut while pulling the bolt head counter clockwise. COUNTER. Clockwise. The other way will---" the needle suddenly skipped over a few grooves before landing a few seconds later, ending in another moment of white noise. Spanner quickly pulled the needle off. "Hmm. Well, this is managable. These things can get out of time. If the speed is not completely consistent, music will not play well. Plus, something in the needle's crane is loose, the friction is making it jump, obviously." Up to then, he may as well have been talking to himself before he turned to face the customer in question. "Thanks for sharing this piece with me! I'm a bit surprised that I have any...reputation." he smirked a bit, although the source of the humor was cynicism rather than pride. He nodded to both the locket and the phonograph on the work bench, his tone having changed slightly "These things are so nice, like memories, clear and musical...but, like the same, they can lose their sweetness over time." He made sue the phonograph was on a stable enough part of the table that any other involuntary accidents wouldn't damage it. "But, the good news is, mechanical things are usually fixable! This one may potentially take a bit longer though. Are you looking to get it restored as well?" He pointed towards one of the bottom corners of the device, where the wood was losing its varnish and had a noticable chip. "If you want to keep the original wood on, I could sand that imperfection off for you and match the finish. You wouldn't even notice anything had changed." he offered confidentally.

Finally, he waved slightly to the patient gentlecolt. "And you, sir, what could I help you with tonight?"
IHaveNoNick

Postby Whiteeyes » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 pm

"I'm OK, stuff like that happens to me three or four times a day." she noted, rubbing her head. "I just thought I'd used up my daily dose of bad luck on the crash."

Whiteeyes

Postby Sleepy Mix » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:43 pm

"Well ok, if you say so." Ruby turned to Spanner, grabbed the brown pouch from under his wing and drops its contents on the counter. The pouch had a broken camera that was now in three large broken pieces and a few smaller ones. "Can you repair it?" Ruby asked Spanner.
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Spanner winced whent he camera came out. Moving parts he could deal with, but cameras were definitely tricky and he knew very little about glass curviture. If the lense was damaged, it would most likely need to see a different specialist. "How...did this even happen?" The breaks didn't really look clean, either. There was a chance that this one was too far gone to salvage - it sort of depended how important the camera was to the customer and, to a degree, how much he was willing to pay for its reassembly.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Sleepy Mix » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:44 pm

"Bullies." Ruby answered. "I'll be back later with my bits." Ruby ran out of the store before anypony could say something.

(( I'm gone for ten days and so will Ruby. ))
Sleepy Mix

Postby Diamond Charm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Cherry's eyes sparkled with excitement as she stood there, considering his offer for a few moments, "You can do that? Oh, I dropped it some time back, and I... I thought it would never be brought to it's original beauty. Oh, thank you! I would LOVE for you to restore it..." Despite her excitement, there's a feeling of hesitation and restraint about her demeanor, "You seem to understand what you have in your hooves there. Thank you in advance for taking such good care of my darling antique."

With that, she proceeds to stand in the corner, watching Spanner curiously.
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:58 pm

He certainly wasn't expecting an audience. Besides, the phonograph was probably going to take awhile to get going. Still, the green pegasus' project was capable of being done right then and there and for the time being, he assumed both parties wanted to stick around an watch. "Sure uh...please, make yourselves at home. I'm awfully sorry there isn't more room. I have a hot plate in back, if you'd like some tea." He started setting up the work station, giving his customers some more time to survey the room. There were enough small items like the aforementioned hot plate to indicate that Spanner did indeed spend most of his time in the workshop. There was a plate with an unconsumed piece of bread sitting next to a metal crank protruding from a wooden box; apparently, the project had taken precedence. A small, sepia toned photo of himself as a young colt hung in the corner. A few paper certificates sat in various locations, nestled between technical manuals and diagrams.

Spanner finally was happy with the tools he selected, adressing his small audience as if it was a seminar of sorts...although it was not entirely unbelievable that he did the same thing in an empty room. "A lot of ponies don't want to deal with small items because they're challenging. But it's just a matter of going slow, and smooth, and being patient. So first we need to isolate the problem." He neatly unclipped the locket from the necklace, setting it aside in another glass tray, the metal making a delicate 'tinkling' noise against the smooth surface. "Both of these items, the phonograph and the musical locket...they rely on kinetic energy to produce their sound. It would be hard if we did this by our own hooves, so gears help store and release energy. They're held into place by bolts or screws or fasteners." He paused to look under the magnifying glass and at the right angle his hoof could be seen with a small probe of some sort. "Looks like one of the gears just got stripped a bit. The tolerances on some of these are very tight. But I might have a generic that could fit. Hmm...gears...small, tiny gears..." And, as if recalling an invisible map, he was off the stool and going through a drawer in the back before finally producing a mayonaise jar full of the aforementioned parts. "It doesn't have to be the exact same size, as long as the teeth line up and the thickness is right since the locket needs to close. And the old one looks like it was brass...so we'll need another brass gear, we don't want a hard metal rubbing up on a soft one. That'll make em both wear."

He paused for a moment, as if finally aware of the fact that he had company that was staying longer than thirty seconds, and who were surprisingly not arguing about prices or other nonsense. "Where are my manners? I do certainly apologize again for the cramped space. I'd certainly like to have a proper reception area one day, and perhaps some provisions for refreshment. It must be awful stuffy right now." On the contrary, with the windows open and the breeze coming up from the water, it happened to be pleasant. Such weather wasn't always enjoyed however. Spanner guided a small tool into the locket and popped out the old gear. It took a bit more fiddling to replace the other one. "So, might I have the pleasure of knowing where in this grand city you ladies are from?" It was a bit funny to hear his phrasing. His voice still had the same mellow and sincere quality as before, but ever since he had brought up the topic of manners, it seemed like the rest of his vocabulary was consciously being routed to accomodate his guests. Spanner secretly hoped he was polite enough for their tastes.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Whiteeyes » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:44 pm

"Um, thank you I'm fine sitting here, not bre...touching anything." she responded to his inquiry. "Um, also, it's not brass it's bronze. At least my mom said it was. I might be wrong though..." she noted, seeming almost embarrassed to have suggested that he could possibly have made a mistake.

Whiteeyes

Postby Diamond Charm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 am

Cherry smiled and nodded at Spanner patiently, "I would love some tea. Do you have any English Breakfast Tea? Oh, and if you could infuse it with vanilla, I should be ever so grateful. I got off to a rather late start this morning."

She sat and listened to his lecture for a while, half interested not because of any legitimate curiosity as to the workings of the phonograph, but rather because she did so love listening to confident ponies who knew what they were talking about. As he apologized once more for the accommodations, she waved a hoof dismissively, "Oh, please - I've suffered more cramped conditions than this and I've certainly been forced to keep... less sophisticated company." His shift in attitude having seemed to work, she now spoke with him almost as if he were an equal.

She glanced over at the photo of young Spanner before looking to his many certificates, "You certainly seem... accomplished. Did you have to complete some sort of coursework for each of these licenses?" She trotted over to look one over - whether it was to see if it was authentic or out of curiosity, she didn't let on.
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:09 pm

(( Whiteeyes, does your character for the thread have a name yet? Just was curious, to help diversify my posts a bit without using your screenname. Thanks! ))

The mechanic pony wasn't too offended by the first customer's addendum to his thought process. He didn't shut her down completely and offered a polite smile. "There is a good chance that parts of the locket itself are bronze, but gears themselves in a piece like this tend to be brass. Either way, brass and bronze are somewhat similar, they are maleable alloys that involve copper as a primary component." he drummed a hoof on the tabletop for a moment, before moving it slowly; it was not unlike a chess player ready to make a move. "So, I'll use a tiny bit of sealant here in the center, just enough for a little bit of friction against the latch when its closed. That should keep it from slipping. The teeth should be mated fine now. We'll give it a few minutes to dry and see how it works! And in the meantime, I'd be glad to provide some refershments." he said with a hint of worry. He didn't have too much to offer but excused himself anyway. "Feel free to...look around, but please do watch your heads and be careful! There's all sorts of hard and sharp objects." his voice was muffled as he made his way farther into the workshop. For a small room, it seemed to be deceptively deep, and Spanner nearly vanished for awhile.

Upon his return, he had managed to furnish his best serving tray - outdated, but impeccably polished and clean. A nervous smile and the flickering candlelight bounced off as shiny reflections. There was a bit of bread, nothing artisan or fancy, and it was sliced so that the crusts were gone. A few edible flowers were arranged in an attractive fashion, and while they weren't terribly fresh, they weren't wilted either. Bits of cheese and a few slices of apple graced the side. He also carefully balanced two cups of the appropriate tea, the only blend he had. Of course, he didn't have any fresh vanilla but out of sheer chance, he did have some generic and artificial flavoring in powder form; it was literally the bottom of the small, paper packet and so perhaps he'd get away with the whole "hint of flavor" illusion. The appetizer spread may have seemed meager, but any pony with a shred of common sense would have been able to put two and two together to figure out that such was the contents of his icebox; in fact, it was breakfast and lunch for the next work day. It wans't that Spanner was destitute by any stretch of the imagination, although he did shop frugally.

"Here we go, ladies. Do be careful with the tea, it's hot." he wandered back to check on the locket; the sealant had not set yet. "Oh, those things? Yes, there are a few standards you need. Some are optional, others are mandatory liscenses. Anything that requires work on machinery that could impact a lot of other ponies, like the job I did recently for the city, that requires both a liscense and a good reputation." Granted, he was awfully young to hold such accolades, but there were clear downfalls to his lifestyle. "But enough about me..." he said, starting to get the phonograph prepped for work. "I'd would certainly love to learn a bit more about my guests!"
IHaveNoNick

Postby Whiteeyes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:10 pm

((Lucky Jinx. She's had a thread since July. http://fillydelphia.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=205))

"Oh I see, sorry I brought it up, I thought it might have been important. I guess not." she noted, looking away nervously. At the mention of sharp objects, she flinched a bit and did a quick look to make sure she wasn't near any. As Spanner brought out his tray, she smiled warmly. It was obvious he hadn't planned on anything like that, even when he'd offered it. Still, he'd done an excellent job. She was about to polity decline, she didn't want him to go to so much trouble on her behalf, when her stomach reminded her that she hadn't eaten in hours and he'd already made it so it'd probably be more work to put it away.

Having been convinced by her stomach, she proceeded to get up and carefully walk over, looking a bit less nervous as time went on. Especially when she noted that a couple flowers where lily of the vine, one of her personal favorites. It was a bit of good luck that showed she was on an upswing right now...hopefully. She also, in addition to the blossoms, took a piece of cheese and a piece of bread and made a sort of sandwich, just without the top bun. She took a bite out of it. The bread wasn't moldy, the cheese was nice and sharp, and the blossoms were delicate yet flavorful. Yep, it seemed the bad luck was over for now.

She blinked a couple times at Spanner's sudden question. "Um, my name is, um, Lucky. I'm really not that interesting." she noted, her volume reaching normal levels as she adopted a nervous tone.

Whiteeyes

Postby Diamond Charm » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 am

Jubilee had no need to wander, so even while Spanner was away putting the tray together, she continued looking at his many certifications. She had even gone so far as to flip open one of his manuals to stave off boredom when he returned. As he presented the silvery tray, she eyed the it with disdain. If there was one thing the premier pastry baker's daughter was snooty about, it was food. Cheddar - and it didn't look like it came from a proper deli? Flowers that DON'T threaten to blind the recipient with color? She sighs and ponders bringing up the possibility of arranging a dessert tray deal for this apparently down and out technician. After all, a business should be presentable, and even though this meager offering was an excellent start, it didn't WOW the customer - a tray from her father's bakery could CHANGE all that.

Smiling sweetly at Lucky, she stayed out of the way, careful not to obstruct the path between the shy mare and the appetizers. So, while she waited for Lucky finish at the tray, she turned her attention to the cup she had been presented with. She smelled her tea and nodded in approval, able to smell the vanilla and finding the selection of tea to be suitable. She blew on it a couple of times before carefully taking a sip and licked her lips. She did love subtle flavors in her food, and the hint of vanilla was certainly subtle. If anything was to become clear from this interaction, it's that it was a thing of wonder, what a good cup of tea might do for a pony's attitude. She looked back to the tray and, this time instead of seeing the shortcomings, she saw the things he did RIGHT. A clean tray, beautiful if a touch old. The combination was not altogether bad - cheeses, flowers, bread, and apples WERE fairly standard fare for these sorts of things. The presentation wasn't BAD, even if it wasn't professional in appearance the way she would have done it.

Fishing around the tray for a piece of cheese she felt looked fresher than the others, the earth pony finally spoke up after she felt she had found a way to articulate her feelings toward his selection in what was probably a far kinder way than she was used to presenting it, "You KNOW... You can tell a lot about a pony from the manner in which they host guests. At first glance, one might feel as though you don't CARE about your guests, looking at this." She tilted the tray slightly by pressing down on one of the sides, watching the reflective surface carefully with a serious and critical expression, "A second glance quickly reveals that you DO care, but you simply don't have the supplies necessary to provide them with the spread you no doubt feel they deserve... And who can blame you? Food ISN'T what you do for a living." She turned back to Spanner with a sweet smile, "It is what I do, though, and I'd be willing to help you prepare adequate provisions for your guests from now on. I'm Cherry Jubilee, and believe me when I say I'm pleased to make your acquaintance."
Diamond Charm

Next

Return to Public Roleplay