View topic - Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

In character Pony Stuff. You can use this forum for any public, free for all roleplay.

Re: Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

Postby IHaveNoNick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm

"I find everypony to be interesting, Lucky! I guess we're sort of like machines in that regard. Here, take a look at this." he briefly navigated through a shelf's contents before finding the object in question. It was a plain wooden box, the varnish having been unevenly worn and the wood grain itself was slightly damaged on the corners. It was decidedly unremarkable. "I found this in a dumpster, two years ago." What was Spanner doing in a dumpster? Apparently, looking for 'treasures' or other supplies was a legitimate activity over there. "Its sort of like your locket. Watch this!" he smiled excitedly, carefully opening the box. There was no music; instead, bright colors of all sorts emanated from inside. Bright, smooth foil lined the inside of the box, and rainbow colors blended into each other. Staring directly at the display was a bit uncomfortable to the eyes, and so one directed their attention above the source of light where it was more managable and less intense. "Simple refraction, one small light whose power is supplied by a crank, and some very small jewel fragments. Like the box itself, decidedly unremarkable, but very interesting inside!"

At least one of his guests was initially pleased by the display. Spanner was visibly embarassed and exceedingly apologetic to Cherry Jubilee. Initially, he simply bowed a few times. "I do beg your pardon, Miss...." but he let her continue, of course, intiially expecting to be completely reamed out by another typical high-life pony. It wasn't exactly a new occurrence, although he hesitated at the rest of her offer and the potentially ambiguous smile. "I'm afraid food is not my forte at all. I've little time or budget to properly purchase, as of late." His eyes widened very slightly when he recognized the name - her father's business was one of immense repute. "Miss Jubilee, the pleasure is all mine! Your family's business is one of immense repute, and us Manehattenites are very lucky to have such a place of victual delight to savor!" While he was certainly a peer in terms of age to his customer, he continued to assume the subordinate social role, at least for now. And while it may had seemed to be well placed words to butter Cherry Jubilee up a bit, his serious expression showed that he really did consider a very-important-pony in the workshop as a special occassion. Of course, Spanner himself had never sampled any food from said store - it was way out of his price range! But he stole the occassional trip inside to browse at the amazing treats that combined both food and art.

Still, as many do, Spanner felt compelled to "explain" his financial situation; he had not yet come to terms about being comfortable and realistic about his fortune when compared to other ponies, and it would end up being a long-time process to conquer that reaction. "I do humbly apologize again though for such meager provisions. I don't know what I was thinking. I would have a decent amount of bits at present, although I am engaged in an...unsavory dispute with the Manehatten Ferry Company. I repaired some pieces for their essential KPPEG---...erm...that is, Kinetic Pony Powered Energy Generating unit, and I started on things right away so that citizens would not be stranded about without a way across the harbor! Unfortunately, only a third of the payment has been furnished." Two-tiered frustration filtered into his voice; first, over the situation he had just described and secondly, due to the realization that such an excuse was surely insufficient for such a pony of repute. "Of course, that is not a matter of your concern, and I graciously beg your pardon for boring you with such a story." He exhaled slightly, and while his mannerisms of a socialite pony were that of apology and accomodation, his eyes were resolutely fixed on his conversation partner the entire time, unwavering. It was strange to see competing messages stacked upon themselves, and part of the issue was that he was still unsure of Miss Jubilee's intentions.

"Enough of that though. Let's see about this piece." He went back to the phonograph in question, and within a few moments he had assembled all the necessary tools. There would still be plenty of time to talk as he slowly began to get to work on the piece - after all, working on such things was Spanner's best way of clearing his mind, and so it was the best time to enter it if one should desire.
IHaveNoNick

Postby IHaveNoNick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:24 pm

(( Nevermind, didn't realize we're on page 2. Oops. ))
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:43 am

Cherry listened proudly as he began to talk up her family business, but as he proceeded to talk about his problems, and as his gaze hardened slightly despite his demeanor, she backed away slightly. She was actually moderately intimidated by the strong conflicting messages she was receiving, "I... beg your pardon, then. A simple 'I'm not looking to invest any more bits into hospitality at this time' would have sufficed; There's no need to be so... defensive. I... apologize for stepping on any hooves?" She wasn't entirely sure how this conversation had gone south so incredibly quickly, but it had, so she found herself on the defensive much more quickly and suddenly than she could have possibly expected.

She watched him set up for a few moments before finally asking, "So... why ARE they causing so much trouble for you, that department? Surely had the job been done to their expectations you'd simply receive your money and you'd all just move on with it, yes?" She bit her lip, expecting him to get really technical again; She loved listening to ponies who know what they're talking about... but she couldn't stand it if they were angry at her AND being technical about things she knew nothing about. She really hoped he had worked that hard stare out of his system!
These ponies don't wanna party! They want to paaaaar-tay!
-Great Philosopher and Wisemare Pinkie Pie
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Spanner felt genuinely terrible when he realized his customer was not trying to come off as terribly haughty, but returning to the topic and trying to explain his position would probably be more awkward than simply moving on. In that regard, the change of topic was a welcome reprieve, especially when there could be a mutual shift of potential negativity towards an unseen third party. He offered a quick shake of the head. "I uh...nevermind, I'm sorry....ahem....as for your query, our local government can be a pain to deal with. I hate to cry foul regarding our public servants, but some of them are out to extort services and bits from vendors. They agreed on an initial quote and I accepted a hoofshake as proper contract, although I suppose we now live in an era of ink promises since suddenly the position was changed when the job was finished that they did not asess the work estimate properly, and that it was not worth as much as my initial quote. That's like...if I bought a pastry from you, ate it, then came back and told you I wanted most of my money back because I thought there should have been more chocolate in it." While the metaphor was meant to be ridiculous, it wasn't too far fetched that ponies actually did that in the bakery, or anywhere else. After all, this was Manehatten, and anything was possible.

By now, he was carefully extruding the screws and bolts from the phonograph - thankfully, it wasn't a cheap model that tried to use nails to keep the woodwork together. Everything was methodically put into a certain order so that he'd know how to put it back together. Of course, even without such an aid, the task wouldnt have been too difficult for Spanner, although it did lend some insight into his manner of thought. "This part is a bit boring, but won't take too long." he paused. "Could I inquire as to what your favorite parts about the bakery are? I would be honored to hear about it." By asking the music-machine's owner about her own job and passions, he hoped to bandage any social wound he may have inadvertantly caused earlier.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:30 am

Cherry blushed, bringing her creme colored cheeks to nearly the same hue as her mane, "Well, uh... MY favorite part, you ask?" She paused to think about it for a few moments, staring deeply off into a wall as she did so. She finally returned to looking at the technician with a satisfied nod, "While I'd love to be dreadfully generic about the whole matter and say that my favorite part is watching ponies enjoy the fruits of my labor - which is ever so nice, bear in mind - I would have to say MY favorite part of working in the bakery is helping business ponies establish a standing order for their customers. I think it's neat figuring out which ponies actually want to please their customers and which ponies are there only to improve profit margins. The latter often just has me set up whatever I want, which can be fun, and the former... well, they can sometimes even provide me a challenge as we bounce ideas back and forth and ultimately come to the plan to best suit the needs of her or his clientele."
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:36 pm

"I see..." he said, either in response to something he was literally viewing on the piece or to her response. It was ambiguous for a moment before he turned to face her again. "It sounds like you're a consultant then? I imagine it can be challenging working with ponies who have all sorts of different goals. I suppose I've wrestled over a few descisions myself, but this building isn't even mine, it's leased." After all, even small bits of property were decidedly valuable in Manehatten. "I'm sure that must leave you awfully mentally strained. What about stuff you do for fun?" It was good that he was keeping the conversation moving, but the boring part was almost over with. He had the majority of the wooden cover off of the phonograph and was starting to remove some of the metallic sideplates to get at the inside.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am

Cherry glanced over at Lucky to see if the quiet mare was alright before looking back to Spanner, "Well, I... I suppose I never thought of it as consultant work, though that's exactly what it is. I always thought of it more as... well, an art like any other! As for what I do for fun, though..." She thinks for a moment, "I DO like to... well, hang glide." She blushed slightly and quickly adds, "But I also enjoy proper activities, like... Dancing, playing piano, and I can 'throw down' quite a wicked poem, be it a work of prose, a sonnet, a triolet, or perhaps a florette." She smiles and glances over at Lucky again before asking, "So, what about you two? Certainly I'm not the only one with hobbies!"
Diamond Charm

Postby Sleepy Mix » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Ruby arrived in front of the shop and quickly entered. He seemed out of breath and he was cautiously looking out the window. 2 pegasi landed on the street looking around before taking off
again. Ruby gulped and turned around with a sack full of bits. "I got my bits... how much will it cost?" Ruby asked. He also had a big bump on his head.
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Spanner was about to answer the query about hobbies, but his previous customer's re-entry was certainly a bit shaking. "What...are you OK, sir?" he finally managed to inquire, putting down the phonograph for a moment. He wasn't initially aware that the entire sack was full of money, nor could he see enough out of the small window that there were two pegasi in the street. The injury was quite apparent however, and cause for concern. "That looks like a terrible bump, I hope it's nothing too serious! Don't worry about costs right now, friend, have a seat!" he urged, quickly making his way back to the ice box to see if there was anything he could provide to bring down the inevitable swelling.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:35 am

Cherry cleared her throat and edged to the corner of the room. This uncouth camera pony was NOW making her feel uncomfortable. She decides to make herself as unnoticeable as possible by nonchalantly browsing through some of Spanner's manuals while she waits for the technician to become less distracted with odd ponies.
Diamond Charm

Postby Sleepy Mix » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:30 pm

"I'm fine." Ruby did take a seat. "So, anything interesting happen while I was gone?" He looked around to see if Lucky caused some accident again but that didn't seem to be the case.
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:55 pm

"Uh...you don't look fine." he furrowed a brow. Something clearly wasn't right here. He still hadn't noticed anypony outside, but the bag that had come out of no where was something that drew his attention. He didn't really want to leave the situation be, since it was too shocking for even Spanner to ignore.

The baker's daughter would have stumbled upon both dry and interesting material, some contemporary and others dated. Initially, the books and manuals seemed arbitrarily placed, although he had his own unique way or organizing things. There were old photos, drawings of all sorts, diagrams with small measurements crammed into side notes, and at the very end was a cloth bound book with no title at all. It didn't seem terribly remarkable, given some of the other literature and work pieces around the workshop. Perhaps Spanner didn't place much emphasis on that particular piece. But if she elected to open the book to a random page, the following text would have been presented. Or, perhaps, the book was never opened and the plain looking piece would have remained a mystery.

June 3rd - The secret project is coming along nicely, desite my initial doubts. Small moments of realization nearly make the past two years of hardship worth it. Hopefully, they are glimmers of great things to come. The major setbacks lie with the inability of local forgers to make an ultra-refined alloy of my specification. I cannot fault their work ethic, and the problem lies more with technolgoy. If I can get this off the ground, it would be a major improvement for pony-life. Would it be too ill willed and selfish to say I could finally enjoy acknowledgement, professional and otherwise? How nice it would be to have a place of status among proper ponies at a dinner party or such occassion. For now, these are errant dreams.

July 27 - The main thrust of the project has been a refined gear, whose teeth are remarkably strong and cut to a terrifically exact angle. The potential for these gears is multifold. They may last a lifetime and, when properly cut, should never need to be resharpened. They shall not dull or corrode, even in extreme conditions. As a result, there would be no loss of potential energy stored in various mechanisms, and the charging of said mechanisms would be infinitely easier.

(( Addendum: Having the actual journal entries is not meant to be a player action suggestion! Since I'm trying to fill in some character history, they can simply be for players' knowledge and do not have to be stumbled upon in character. I don't condone forcing actions in RP! :3 ))
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:49 am

Cherry did in fact open the clothbound book to a random page, but, upon seeing that it was a journal, quickly snapped the book shut, only seeing enough to notice that Spanner was involved in some secret project. She glanced at the rough-looking camera pony and back to the technician pony - were these two colleagues on some secret project? And if so, what could the purpose of this project possibly be? She didn't want to believe Spanner to be a BAD pony, and she furthermore did not wish to assume any connection between him and this rather frightening pegasus. Perhaps the secret project had been the one he had worked for the city, that they have failed to pay him for? If such a project was indeed secret, it should not be too terribly difficult for them to keep him under their hooves and out of the way - who would believe somepony with so few assets had worked a 'secret' job for the city? She sighed, feeling no closer to the truth than she was before opening the book. She glanced at it once more and thrust it back into place - she simply couldn't intrude on his privacy! It would be improper!

She made her way over to Spanner and placed herself where he would be between her and Ruby Ruby and whispered in his ear, "Should - Should I come back, Spanner? "
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:37 pm

(( Ruby, forgot to welcome you back from your trip! I also cannot put too much more detail about fixing a phonograph because I've never...done that. I only know the basics on how that work. They still amaze me! ))

Spanner didn't want to be left to such an awkward conversation. The suspicious bag and the circumstances of the camera owner's re-entrance had him decidedly concerned. "Please don't feel the need to leave, Miss. I should hardly think there is circumstance to require you the inconvenience of a return, lest that be your desire." Of course, part of that was a verbal hint towards Ruby. That didn't let him off the hook, of course, and he was still expecting some sort of explanation as he got back to work. By now, the wooden furniture of the phonograph was removed and the actual machine was either decidedly strange looking without the elegant simplicity of its cover, or perhaps even more charming.

"We can fix the needle last. That's the easy part. There are all different types of phonographs. Most devices like this rely on friction, something running over grooves of different depths to produce the end result. Some phonographs use wax cylinders, and I am certainly glad this one uses a record instead. I'm not too partial to the wax things, since they're rather sensitive to temperature and the quality diminishes over use." Spanner narrowed his eyes slightly, removing a small piece of bent metal from inside the machine. He already had a replacement piece ready to go and his hooves dissapeared into the mess of parts, most of which was entirely out of Cherry's view. "We need consistent rotation, an even surface, and the needle itself must also be straight. I can check everything's alignment with a balance." There was a moment of silence as he paused to consider something. "Tell me, Miss Jubilee, what do you enjoy listening to on this phonograph? I imagine it must be something special, like a favorite speech or a song, given the abundance of live entertainment us Manehattenites are able to enjoy." The transition from semi-internal technical monologue to personal inquisition was seemingly fluid, and curious.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Sleepy Mix » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:08 am

(( Thanks for the welcoming anyway. Seems like a conspiracy theory here. ))

Ruby dropped the bag on the ground as he made himself comfortable on the chair. He watched Cherry and Spanner with a raised eyebrow. He did not like the way they were acting as if he
were some sort of criminal. He turned to Lucky Jinx. "Do you know what's wrong? They seem a bit... worried?" He asked not really knowing what to think.
Sleepy Mix

Postby Diamond Charm » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 am

Cherry nodded, "You're absolutely correct... My great uncle played with the Equestrian Royal Fillyharmarenic Orchestra, and I listen to their recordings the most. I do listen to the odd vintage royal speech; My father has a great collection, but to be honest, those things do rather bore me. This phonograph... well, my only remaining connection to the stallion that helped me get where I am today."

She watched him work in awe, nearly forgetting her anxiety brought on by the odd behavior Ruby was presenting, and all but forgetting that poor miss Lucky Jinx was in the room as well, occasionally leaning over him to ask about the different parts inside. Though machinery was terribly boring to her, she couldn't help but be amazed at the complexity and... well, elegance isn't the word she would use for it, but it did have a certain... charm the machine presented, though admittedly most of her curiosity was fueled by concern that it wouldn't be the same after having somepony tinkering about inside of it. She truly would have been devastated if it came back and sounded odd after all these years.
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:11 pm

What may have been most concerning to the phonograph's owner was that his hooves were inside the machine, and she wasn't really able to see what he was doing. Spanner didn't have to completely check every moving part, but he figured this would be the only time that the figurative hood would be popped open in awhile. Besides, what happened more often than not when a job wasn't fully reviewed was that the problem a customer detailed was fixed, and then a separate and unrelated issue would inevitably crop up somewhere down the road, spawning all sorts of accusations about poor work. It was better for everypony involved to just do a complete overhaul of things. Thankfully, the quality of the initial worksmanship meant he had very little to do, aside from a little cleaning and tweaking. The mechanic pony occassionally dabbed a small, white cloth with a little rubbing alcohol and wiped away some grease inside before relubricating the same part with the smallest drop of oil from a tiny dropper. He very gingerly worked the gears to make sure the parts were still catching against each other. There was only one moment of potential worry when a small spring shot out at blazing speed but, with equally impressive gusto, Spanner stopped it in midair with a hoof and found it shortly thereafter on the tabletop. "Okay, everything in here is squared away. You want the least amount of resistance. Shouldn't be any drag."

He occasionally shot a glance to Ruby. Perhaps he wasn't aware that the situation DID seem decidedly suspicious to the other two ponies. He had certainly had to deal with unsavory individuals in the past, and so Spanner was always apt to keep an eye out. Either way, he'd have to finish the phonograph before working on the camera...if that was even possible, given its state of damage.

"As for the wood restoration, I can take some measurements and have some new wood stained to match this. I'll give you back the phonograph when I'm done and then I can ship the wood to you, or you can certainly come by and I can fit it for you. We could have it look brand new, like the day it was made, or I could even have the grain filed down so that it looks worn, and time aged...except, without the cracks and imperfections. Humidity and storage tends to damage these things, but its all very fixabe." he nodded slightly, clicking something back into place. "So, next, the needle assembly. If its not straight, the recording will not play properly. But at least now, things should spin evenly. In fact, I'm sure you haven't seen this device in this state before. Do take a look." he said with an inviting smile, gesturing for her to wind up the machine to charge it.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 am

Not being able to see what was happening certainly DID warrant concern for Cherry! Despite this, she remained quiet and watched intently what little she COULD see - which mostly was Spanner. Or, at least the forelegs that had disappeared in her antiquated gadget. She'd been tempted to begin passing the machine oil to Spanner when he reached for it - all in the name of being helpful, of course - but decided that she'd be more in the way if she attempted to get so heavily involved in his procedures. No, better to trust a stranger with her machine than to ensure that something would go wrong. As he began speaking about dragging, she bit her lip and eyed the machine curiously, and just a little bit anxiously - She REALLY hoped that didn't mean he thought the beautiful wooden casing would have been extra drag too!

Finally, he expressed interest in restoring the casing! Miss Jubilee let out a much more emphatic sigh of relief than she intended, and blushed slightly as she nodded, "Oh, I... I hope it will last plenty long enough to age on it's own once again; I do believe I'd like to see it the way it would have looked the day it was made. And, Spanner, I certainly haven't seen it like this... and as interesting as this has been, the less I see my beloved Bucktrola in this condition, the better."

With that, she began winding the phonograph up with her teeth, her eyes plastered on the piece that was expected to start spinning. Gently and slowly, she let go and hoped to Celestia something terribly uninteresting would happen! For example, if it spun in place and didn't do anything out of the ordinary, she would be tremendously pleased. If it began to wobble and sputter and make all sorts of interesting sounds, she would be decidedly less so.
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Upon the cessation of the winding, there was a pause. At first, there was some hesitation on the machine's part, and the first few revolutions did not look entirely stable. Of course, he had to let the oil evenly distribute through all the gears, and after what seemed to be a tense startup, the phonograph was spinning evenly and without any hint of a squeak. He almost seemed to enjoy the initially tense moments, since he was certain the phonograph was going to work properly, but this customer seemed to be the sort of pony to take things very seriously! "Now, we fix the alignment of the crane. I can rehone the tip of the needle too. In fact, I'll do that first." he said, finding a small file. It hardly looked like he was doing anything - it wasn't anything like filing a metal bar. Spanner made the barest of strokes, light and gentle touches that seemed to have no friction against the point, and the gestures were directed at a slight angle. That was it? Sometimes, subtlety was best. With a slight clicking noise, he removed the crane from the assembly and furrowed a brow. It would have been easier to furnish a new one, but that wouldn't have the same appeal as the original piece. The crane was a thin bit of metal, the least ornate part of the piece. He laid the side against a line drawn on the work table and spun it slowly, visually checking to see if it was out of the round. He was about to fix it, but had an idea. "Miss Jubilee, I do believe I could use your assistance. I am going to hold this needle down with a clamp. I'm going to set up this other little device here also..." he said, producing another clamp with a small, paded shelf from a nearby drawer. "And I'm going to attach a tool to the needle crane. I need you to push down to bend it back into alignment. Now, it shouldn't be too hard since the tool will give you leverage, and this other device here will make it impossible to bend too much. And, I promise that you can't break anything, not for this minute of an adjustment." He smiled reassuringly, curious if she was going to be able to participate. Spanner certainly enjoyed sharing the "a-ha" moment of fixing something, and was hoping his customer would be able to proudly say she made the final adjustment on the mechanism.

Ruby's bag was still a bit of a distraction however, and the idea of what may be inside still seemed out of place in his subconscious. Had he been a less experienced individual, he would have been potentially unable to concentrate. He wanted to decipher that mystery as soon as he was done with the phonograph!
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 am

Cherry eyed the mechanism nervously, "If you are entirely certain I cannot damage it, then I should be happy to assist."

With that, she reared up and gentle leaned on the counter with her front legs and nodded as she looked the machine over anxiously, "Can't hurt it. Right." She nodded resolutely before concluding, "Yes, I do believe I'm ready for you to put the tool on."
Diamond Charm

Postby IHaveNoNick » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:19 pm

(( Ruby, feel free to respond with any dialogue if you're around. I don't want you to feel pigeon-holed into not responding. ))

The clamp was not unlike a padded vice, although it was decidedly larger and the frame was made of a dull looking metal. "Yes, quite certain. Here, have my seat." he said, graciously pulling out the work stool for her - it was visually unattractive, decidedly plain and worn, although it was surprisingly comfortable if she cared to indulge in his offer. There was a bit of silence before he gave her the equivalent of a thumbs up with his spare hoof. "All set." he smiled, gesturing to the tool he had affixed. "This clamp exerts a great deal of strength on anything inside, and this is a sturdy table. I'll hold onto it anyway, just to be sure." Of course, that was more for visual purposes, to assuage any lingering doubts she may have had. "This other tool, all you do is gradually push it downards until it stops. Do it in one continuous motion, with an even amount of pressure." In reality, it was something that could not be botched, but he wanted the other pony to have at least some sense that it was something that had to be done correctly. "You can definitely do it!"
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 am

Cherry looked at the seat for a few moments and finally shook her head, "No, thank you. I'm perfectly fine standing."

She wasn't at all versed in maintenance or repairs, and this sort of thing, while interesting, was slightly daunting. Having dealt so much with proper Manehattanite society, she wasn't entirely certain Spanner might not be leaving the most sensitive task to her so that when it broke it would not be his fault, but rather hers, but as she listened to his encouragement and the certainty on his face, she looked back to the assembly uncertainly before placing her hooves on the tool and gently shoving it down. She frowned as she felt it give just the tiniest bit, but continued pushing nonetheless. Finally, she looked up at Spanner with a with a serious and cautious expression, continuing to push even though nothing was happening.
:rainbowhuh: "Was that it? Did that do the job? More to the point, did I do it correctly?"
Diamond Charm

Postby Whiteeyes » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Sleepy Mix wrote:(( Thanks for the welcoming anyway. Seems like a conspiracy theory here. ))

Ruby dropped the bag on the ground as he made himself comfortable on the chair. He watched Cherry and Spanner with a raised eyebrow. He did not like the way they were acting as if he
were some sort of criminal. He turned to Lucky Jinx. "Do you know what's wrong? They seem a bit... worried?" He asked not really knowing what to think.

((Sorry I took so long.))

"I'm not really sure myself. I think he's nervous cause she famous and is afraid that he'll offend her and she's nervous cause he's giving her a chance to help work on her family heirloom and is afraid that she'll mess up."
Lucky noted, having stayed well away and off to the side so as to prevent any more accidents.
This signature needs to be about 20% more Mr. Bunny.

Countdown to the Zombie Appocalypse: 87 DAYS
The first time you see this, copy it in your signature and subtract one.
Whiteeyes

Postby IHaveNoNick » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 pm

(( No sweat, welcome back! ))

Of course it was done properly, since there was hardly a way to do it wrong. Still, Spanner put on a bit of theatrics that was good enough to rival some of the broadway ponies downtown! He curiously and intently studied the angle on the piece, running his hoof along an invisible line in the air around it before giving a slow nod. After all, the reason for such "help" was intended to make his customer feel a sense of pride and involvement, as opposed to trying to make her feel belittled. "Yes, I must say, this is a perfect job! Excellent work, Miss Jubilee. I suspect you would make a heck of a mechanic." he smiled, removing the clamps. He clicked the needle crane gently into place and placed another small drop of oil so the metal would slide easily back and forth, swinging it up and down to make sure all seemed well. So, let's get back to that other record I had. Nothing too terribly exciting, but it should make a suitable test.

Spanner reached over to the table and placed the record on the turntable. He wound up the machine and swung the crane over the swirling black disc, and slowly lowered the needle down onto it. This time, his voice played back very clearly, as if he was speaking it right then. There was no distortion or white noise, and the tempo was even. As before, it seemed to be some sort of audio journal. Judging by the cover for the record and the sound of his voice, it was something that was created at least two years previous. Of course, Spanner had no idea what he had grabbed, since it was simply the closest record on the shelf. The needle had happened to start playing the record mid sentence. "...going on. And altogether, I must maintain my resolve that the research of this technology is far more important than any selfish desires I may have. I implore my future self to remain resolute. This mechanical development must remain a secret for it yields a great power, and only I ha----"

"Er....well, I suppose it works." he said quickly, lifting the needle off the record. "Eh-heh...ramblings of a former and more enthusiastic self. A bit embarassing, I should say." Whether his discomfort was from actual embarassment or to hide the aforementioned secret was unknown. Besides, that only seemed like evidence to support the presence of those written journal entries. "Well, looks like everything is in order, Miss Jubilee. If you have affection for this piece, and I believe you do, I should be inclined to return it immediately. I'll go ahead and take some measurements for the base, and I'll contact a pony I know who is quite capable at wood restoration pieces. But for now, you can be assured that the function is impeccable and it's thanks in part to your steady hoof." Of course, that left the issue of pricing. Generally, a job like that would have been rather expensive, especially since he outright knew that the filly was a member of a wealthy family. A general quote would have been around 100 bits. He paused for a moment before starting to write on a small slip. "I did certainly enjoy your company, Miss Jubilee, and regret having to part ways. Such is the manner of professional dealings, I suppose. I think...60 bits should be sufficient, and the cost of the wood restoration will be actual cost by this other gentlecolt I know. I don't believe in second hand markup. Is that fair to you?"
IHaveNoNick

Postby Sleepy Mix » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:02 am

Ruby nodded and watched Spanner and Jubilee again. He smiled as Spanner let her help him with the repairs. [ I do hope he can repair my camera aswell. ] Ruby just relaxed in the chair,
almost falling asleep untill Spanners record began to play. He opened his eyes and watched the record curiously. [ Now that's interesting. ] Ruby turned to Lucky Jinx again. "You heard that
too, right? What do you think that was about?"
Sleepy Mix

PreviousNext

Return to Public Roleplay