View topic - Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

In character Pony Stuff. You can use this forum for any public, free for all roleplay.

Re: Spanner's Workshop (Manehatten)

Postby Whiteeyes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 am

"I don't know and I don't want to know. Or stand near it." Lcuky noted, as rain started to fall outside. "Oh no, it's not Wednesday is it?"
This signature needs to be about 20% more Mr. Bunny.

Countdown to the Zombie Appocalypse: 87 DAYS
The first time you see this, copy it in your signature and subtract one.
Whiteeyes

Postby Diamond Charm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Cherry laughed, "Oh, I don't know about being a mechanic, but I am good with my hooves..." She blushed slightly at his compliment before and gasping, "Oh, uh, that is... There's nothing WRONG with mechanics! It's very interesting work!"

She listened to the record play and perked her ears slightly until he turned it off, "Oh, one should always hold an enthusiasm for the work they do. It's truly what makes a career worthwhile!" As he began explaining her options, she nods, "I would like to take it home immediately, yes, but I'll be bringing it back to have the base applied. I think you're probably better suited to such things, anyway."

She idly waited for a few moments for Spanner to take the measurements before swiveling her ears toward the other two ponies as they began to speak, and subsequently the front of the shop. She glanced over as she hears the gentle pattering of rain against the store front and gasped, rushing to look outside, "Oh, dear! I believe the fates have spoken, Mr. Spanner - I feel it would be for the best if I held off on bringing my Bucktrola home. Oh, it's no imposition, is it?"
These ponies don't wanna party! They want to paaaaar-tay!
-Great Philosopher and Wisemare Pinkie Pie
Diamond Charm

Postby Sleepy Mix » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Ruby shrugged. "I don't know... I guess it could be wednesday. Why do you ask?" Ruby on the other hoof did want to know more about Spanners secret project. [ Hey! You awake yet? ] Ruby
thought but didn't get a response though.
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Spanner looked outside in time to see the first significant drops of rain patter onto the window. "Oh my, unexpected rain. I suspect this will make the roads a real mess. I should really finish perfecting that new carriage wheel! But, first, we have that camera to look at. Thanks for being so patient, sir." he nodded slightly, although he was still a bit suspicious about the other male pony's strange re-entry. He frowned when he reexamined the camera. Consistent with his initial appraisal, it was going to be very difficult to piece it together. "I uh..." he hesitated, thinking of how to word the situation. "I'm afraid this is going to need some...extensive work, and there is a possibility that only a few components can be salvaged. Unfortunately, cameras are still rather delicate machines at this stage of development. In general, I'm a mechanic, and something like this isn't my specialty. I'd have to special order some of these parts." Spanner was more than willing to work on the piece for Ruby, but didn't want the pony to expect a short term or perfect fix when it may not have even been plausible.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Sleepy Mix » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Ruby smiled warmly at Spanner. "Oh don't worry! I just want it fixed, doesn't matter how or how long it takes." He looked outside at the rain. [ This would actually be a good moment to leave
but I can't leave a chance like this. ]
He turned back to Spanner with a smile. "You don't mind me staying while it rains, do you?"
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm

"By all means, you're all welcome to stay. I shall certainly not rush the work on this camera though, since it's going to be a longer project." The pony scribbled a few notes on a work tag before sliding all of the broken contents of the camera into a small box, placing it on a nearby shelf of 'pending' projects. What was good entertainment for his guests? He already felt like he had insufficient refreshments, and wanted to make sure everypony remained entertained and in good spirits. Spanner hadn't had guests of any sort in the workshop for an eternity and felt self conscious that the place wasn't neater, although in the end it was about as organized as a small place could be. "Perhaps it's only a passing drizzle." Within an instant, there was the sound of a deluge against the roof of the building, large drops splashing violently against his small front window. He didn't bother stating the obvious; no one was going out any time soon.

"Well, allow me to go in the back for a bit. I suppose I could share some interesting finds I've managed to find, some of them from here in this very city. One would be quite surprised to see how much entertainment a piece of technology can afford us." Such a search would take a little bit of time as he needed to dig through an expansive amount of backwork and spare parts, tools and components. This left the front of the workshop free to explore. Hints of this "secret project" abounded in unguarded locations.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:40 am

Cherry Jubilee sighed and continued to stare out the window at the deluge, silently willing it to pass quickly. This, of course, yielded no real results. This did not stop her from staring wistfully out the window, impatiently waiting for her opportunity to go about performing other no doubt pressing duties she had.
Diamond Charm

Postby Whiteeyes » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Sleepy Mix wrote:Ruby shrugged. "I don't know... I guess it could be wednesday. Why do you ask?"

[color=#008000]"Oh well it's just that I seem to be struck by lightning most often on Wednesdays. Not that it matters too much, but in the long run it's usually Wednsdays." Lucky stated, just as a bolt curved through the still open door and blasted her across the room to crash into a pile of various papers. "....nope, that felt like Tuesday lightning. Wednesday usually knocks me vertically."

Whiteeyes

Postby Sleepy Mix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Ruby looked around the shop as Spanner left. He really wanted to search for anything about this secret project but decided against it as it would make him suspicious in front of these two mares. He was about to try out some small talk when Lucky crashed into a pile of various papers. He walked over offering a helping hoof. "Are you alright? You should be more carefull." Ruby gave each paper a short glance to see anything about this project.
Sleepy Mix

Postby Whiteeyes » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:55 pm

"Oh I'm fine, it's just lightning damage. Nothing pegasai can't handle. We get shocked all the time living in clouds after all...still hurts though." Lucky explained, standing up slowly. She did seem a bit out of it though, having forgotten for the moment that Ruby was a pegasus as well.

Whiteeyes

Postby Sleepy Mix » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Ruby rolled his eyes. "I know... I'm a pegasus aswell. And I never saw lightning hit a pony through an open door. You must be extremely unlucky." He began collecting all the loose papers glancing at the text while he did.
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 pm

The mechanic pony was obviously startled and rather distraught that such an occurrence had managed to transpire in his shop. Not being a weather expert, he hadn't known much about pegasi and whether or not they actually were shocked in routine affairs. Initially, he was rather fearful for Lucky's safety. "Oh dear, oh dear, Miss Lucky! Are you allright?" It seemed that everything was well, and Spanner quickly moved to shut the door; it was a useless gesture since the lightning had originally gone through. He couldn't help but stare at the hole in the door. "I should say I've NEVER had something like this happen before here. But, if I may kindly request that you all move towards the corner, for safety's sake! I have an old lightning rod I used for some electricity tests that I can deploy, but it's on the roof. Generally, lightning tends to strike the large high-rise apartments and office buildings." he observed with a worried tone before retreating towards the back of the room, climbing up into the rafters on a small ladder.

The papers were all strewn about the floor. It was impossible to pick them up and NOT see at least a glimpse of the contents. Some were adorned with crude hoof-completed drawings and others were rather intricate looking diagrams. Some pages were typed, and others were in script. None were in any sort of sensible order.

March 12th

Mr. Spanner -

You seem terribly convinced that the concept of a perfect gear is enough to warrant our attention. We are humored by your assertions that reworking a centuries old concept is something that could revolutionize technology, especially when you have no particular inventions currently pending yourselves.

The Manehatten Inventors Guild.
---

February 4th

My fellow mechanical enthusiast -

I am certainly honored that you find my confidence worthwhile. From what I know, there has been no successful application of magic in mechanical devices. The influence of magic on existing machines would be not be limited by the power of the magic, for it seems that unicorns have limitless potential; rather, it is the technology itself that could falter. You mention your curiosity regarding magic powering some sort of locomotive process. The demands of magic would greatly exceed the capabilities of modern day pulleys and gears especially. Obviously, stripped gears and broken belts will result in a magically non-functional machine. At present, this will all remain humorous intellectual fumblings and nothing worth either of our attentions. I would advise you to invest your time in a more plausible effort.

On another note, I was very impressed by your report on locomotive efficiency as observed in nature and its impact on future invention. There will be a formal dinner at the Manehatten Society of Inventors club in a few months, and perhaps I can procure an invitation for you.

Regards,
Professor G

-----
The next page was a diagram of a gear sitting in some sort of strange mechanism. It looked to be a large vehicle, almost like a tank. There was some sort of sloppily written equation underneath; one could see the frustration leaking through the text. A particular equation ended with a question mark and was surrounded by a drawn box and was underlined a few times.
---
The final piece of paper was smaller than the others. It was a high quality paper with fine, hoof written and inked script. The words were simultaneously bold and delicate, full of power and finesse alike.

Mister Spanner -

You are cordially invited to speak of your opinions on locomotive mechanical potential and the historical use of gears at the 17th annual dinner formal, hosted by the Manehatten Society of Inventors. The event will be attended by important politicians, industry leaders, and scholars from all across Manehatten. H'ordeuvres and refreshments to precede the discussions. Please arrive early and have your notes prepared.
Of course, that invitation was now several months old.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Whiteeyes » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:38 am

"I'm not unlucky. My name is Lucky so I can't be unlucky!" Lucky states with a nervous chuckle.

Whiteeyes

Postby IHaveNoNick » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Spanner was a bit skeptical - names weren't always the most accurate of things. Then again, it seemed to be strange coincidence that so many ponies in Equestria just happened to have names related to their main interests! For the moment, he was still trying to keep his balance in the back of the room so he could extend his lightning rod to prevent any further mishaps.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Cherry looked back into the shop and frowned, feeling like she was terribly out of place. She seated herself and took a pen into her mouth as she set a notebook to the ground. She began rearranging her schedule to account for the storm - this was valuable time to ensure that her day just didn't go to ruin!
Diamond Charm

Postby Sleepy Mix » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:01 am

"Your name doesn't determine your luck, silly filly." He chuckled to her. "It's not like my name has anything to do with me." He made a mental note of what he read on Spanners papers as he stacked them on eachother again. He was going to ask Spanner about that later. [... oh wow, I leave for a few minutes? Or has it been longer... nevermind. You already made a mess of this place! ] Ruby said inside his head. "Shush, I was enjoying the silence." Ruby said out loud as if he were talking to nopony at all.
Sleepy Mix

Postby Whiteeyes » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Lucky quickly slapped both of her hooves over her mouth and took on an embarrassed look.

Whiteeyes

Postby Sleepy Mix » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Ruby looked at her with a confused look. [ You thought out loud again... ] Ruby said to him. Ruby quickly shook his head and smiled at Lucky. "No not you! I like your voice, you should keep on talking!" He was afraid he had insulted her by saying she should be quiet and this was his attempt to apologize... sorta.
Sleepy Mix

Postby Diamond Charm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Cherry looked up toward Ruby Ruby, agitated, "What... was your name? Nevermind, it's unimportant. If you do not like the sound of my writing, then do something about this weather, pegasus. If it weren't so dangerous outside, I would have left already." She hesitated, having lost her train of thought, and shifted the pencil about in her lips for a moment while she looked her schedule over. She flipped it and began to erase several bullet points of text, having decided that, while it would have been nice to have her clothes back, she could bear to postpone her trip to the dry cleaners until a more pleasant day.
Diamond Charm

Postby Sleepy Mix » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Ruby turned to Cherry bearing an apologizing look. "Look, I really didn't mean any of you. Besides who would be bothered by a scribbeling pencil anyway?" He rolls his eyes at that. "My name is Ruby by the way."
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:52 pm

"Almost there!" his voice rang out in a muffled tone from somewhere up above. "I'm afraid I haven't used this in awhile and..." there was a dull thud, followed by a few louder metallic clangs. Bang! Bang! And then the sound of something bursting through. Apparently, the old lightning rod had needed a bit of elbow grease to get properly erected. He closed the hatch somewhere in the attic with another thud before going to make his way back to his company. It didn't look like the rain was letting up at all; terribly curious weather for prime time hour in Manehatten to be sure. Perhaps those pegasi were on strike again? Perhaps so much effort to erect an old lightning rod was in vain. About two minutes passed as he put his ladder away in the corner before there was a bright flash, quickly followed by a terribly loud boom of thunder. In fact, the sound was enough to rattle the small window. Nearly simultaneously, there was a slew of curious activity in the workshop. The lightning burst was redirected from the lightning rod on the top of the building into some unknown contraption. Most of the energy was stored in a battery, but whatever generally wasted excess would be channeled through a series of rather entertaining devices in the room. A small series of green lights flashed in sequence lining parts of the trim near where the walls met the ceiling. A small glass ball nearby illuminated as well, not unlike a plasma globe although whatever lie at the center was more of a polished rock of sorts. Finally, a music box in the corner with a dusty wooden cover opened itself before playing a clip of what sounded like an old song. Half of the first word was distorted but every other part of the lyrics was clear as day. It was a female voice singing with an energetic band in the background. Electricity, give me some-that energy, only feel it when you're with me, wooo yeah!

By that time, Spanner had managed to rejoin the group, clearing his throat slightly. He smiled sheepishly at his small diversionary set up. "Oh geez, I totally forgot about all that. I haven't used it in awhile, ever since I came up with better ways to charge the battery." Of course, there would have been enough time for Ruby and Cherry to finish their conversation. At least Lucky would have been safe from any other phantom lightning bolts for the remainder of her time in the workshop.
IHaveNoNick

Postby Diamond Charm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Cherry shook her head, "Then I must confess I'm rather curious as to who you WERE speaking with, but I digress. I'm Cherry Jubilee - I'm sure you've heard of me?" She hesitated as banging started erupting from above, "Do you think he's alright up there?"

Regardless of anypony's answer, when the lightning hits the workshop, she lets out a shout and looks around at the new activities in the room anxiously, not responding as Spanner returns.
Last edited by Diamond Charm on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Syntax Fix
Diamond Charm

Postby Whiteeyes » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:04 pm

Lucky instinctively flinches at the bolt of lightning...and seems genuinely surprised that she's not roasted. Again.

Whiteeyes

Postby Sleepy Mix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm

"Actually, I haven't heard of you before. Nice to meet you though." He raised his hoof for a friendly hoofshake and was about to answer her question when the lightning struck and the big lightshow and music started. Ruby looked around rather amused by what he was seeing and hearing. "Wow, now this is nice." He looked around at every light in the shop while listening to the music. Hopefully she was distracted enough so that she wouldn't ask who he was talking to before.
Sleepy Mix

Postby IHaveNoNick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 pm

(( I've been pretty busy so I might not be able to update this for a bit. Feel free to continue playing and apologies in advance! Still an open thread, if anypony else wants to join. ))
IHaveNoNick

Previous

Return to Public Roleplay