View topic - Characters reviews discussion

Characters reviews discussion

Out of character discussion for roleplay related stuff

Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:12 pm

This thread is created to discuss the current going on after this http://fillydelphia.com/content/charact ... w-progress have been made. You are encouraged to ask here if you are concerned about your character and I will answers here as openly as possible.

Update: Seem like I need pony to be a bit more specific on what they want me to look into. Instead of asking me "Is this character ok?" you might want to ask "Is this specific ability /gadget" ok?

Also, keep in mind, just because it does not fit in MLP:FiM doesn't mean we disallow it. We are going to be pretty loose on this until it become necessary, only the bluntest and most out of line character will need any adjustment.

Update: Puzzles and Ponies should help you find out whether your character fits well or not.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:14 pm

ProfessorWhoof have been request to makes changes and he have decided on what to change.

Ground for changes request: Time travelling and incredible amount of power and capabilities in the TADRIS , along with unparalleled magic capability on the character as well.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby LennonFan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:18 pm

My changes were to remove all Doctor Who references from my character, leaving him as a slightly eccentric unicorn stallion. I'd just like to apologize here and now for any inconvenience I have caused as a result of my actions and non-compliantness. Sorry, everypony.
User avatar
LennonFan
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:55 am
Location: St. Charles, MO

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby AppleTart » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:30 pm

I would like to know if any of my characters need to be changed or my own play style tweaked at all, I'll get on it post haste.
For easy reference, my characters include:
Applejack
Winnona
AppleTart
Cherry Blossom
Charity
User avatar
AppleTart
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 5:47 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:41 pm

AppleTart wrote:I would like to know if any of my characters need to be changed or my own play style tweaked at all, I'll get on it post haste.
For easy reference, my characters include:
Applejack
Winnona
AppleTart
Cherry Blossom
Charity


I am not aware of any problem on any of those character as of yet. Please keep in mine, I'm focusing on material stuff, something that is definable like some pony having a magical power beyond Twilight or some pony who can fly as fast / faster then Rainbow dash. Something specific as clearly not going to exist in the show is our focus.

Just because your play style is goofy or masochist for humiliation (wink wink) doesn't mean you are unfitting here.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Armads » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I do not need to be overly dramatic in my feelings towards this measure, for I know that I have been very clear on them already. While there are a few characters that do need to be cleaned up a bit, the vast majority do not seem to be a problem.

I have seen this kind of measure before, and if it goes how it normally does, I have reason to worry. Mostly because this seems like a witch hunt in my eyes. I believe that the rules need to be amended to show what is and isn't allowed in a little more detail, but I believe that the general idea should be to take what the show has given us, and expand upon it. I do not think we should take the show as the end-all-be-all.

Asking "Would this character fit in an episode?" and throwing out the banhammer if the answer is no is a very good way to ruin things. Even worse is the idea that characters constantly need to be brought into line, which defeats the point of character arcs and developments.

Now I know that this is a little extreme, but that's how this is coming off from my end. There are a few people on this site who have disregarded the rules a few too many times, and those people should have a nice, long, private discussion with the moderators. This should not be a case where everypony needs to feel like the IRS is coming to repossess their intellectual property.

I want this place to succeed more than anything. I don't want to kill the momentum we have on this site. But I do feel that going about this with a sledgehammer is about as productive as whipping your employees to make them work harder. They might work faster in the beginning, but eventually they'll drop from exhaustion. Likewise, if this becomes a reason for moderators to dictate every action that a player takes, they'll be the only ones left. And that's something that no one wants to happen.

Now that that's out of the way.

I only play two characters, one which I will henceforth be retiring because I doubt he'd be accepted around here.

1. Thunderball (My main character)
2. Pyrrhus (My alt, retiring.)
Armads
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Zephyr Haste » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:48 pm

This is more a question than a suggestion. does anypony have any pointers for my main: Zephyr Haste? This is my first RP character ever, and I would like to know if I could be improving him in any way. Thanks!
Zephyr Haste
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Armads wrote:I do not need to be overly dramatic in my feelings towards this measure, for I know that I have been very clear on them already. While there are a few characters that do need to be cleaned up a bit, the vast majority do not seem to be a problem.


Not really. I don't think we have any real clear discussion. this is a good time to, however!


I have seen this kind of measure before, and if it goes how it normally does, I have reason to worry. Mostly because this seems like a witch hunt in my eyes. I believe that the rules need to be amended to show what is and isn't allowed in a little more detail, but I believe that the general idea should be to take what the show has given us, and expand upon it. I do not think we should take the show as the end-all-be-all.


Vast majority of them won't have problem, and some might get some talking, but we will focus on only those that are bluntly out of place. Not just some what unfitting. I have done this kind of measure before in various other sites I rans. My approach is always on smallest adjustment possible. I don't like "nerfing".

Asking "Would this character fit in an episode?" and throwing out the banhammer if the answer is no is a very good way to ruin things. Even worse is the idea that characters constantly need to be brought into line, which defeats the point of character arcs and developments.


Firstly, there won't be any banned, we will try warning first, then compromise. I still maintains that unless I can clearly explains how something specific is wayyyy out of line from MLP:FiM the show, I won't do anything.

Now I know that this is a little extreme, but that's how this is coming off from my end. There are a few people on this site who have disregarded the rules a few too many times, and those people should have a nice, long, private discussion with the moderators. This should not be a case where everypony needs to feel like the IRS is coming to repossess their intellectual property.


It is our fault for not doing it properly. If pony have been breaking rule but left alone, that is still our responsibility, while we plan on doing something about it, we won't be going back in time and pressure or punish past behaver. We just want a place that is fun, and kept our promise. that this place will be as much like MLP as possible.

I want this place to succeed more than anything. I don't want to kill the momentum we have on this site. But I do feel that going about this with a sledgehammer is about as productive as whipping your employees to make them work harder. They might work faster in the beginning, but eventually they'll drop from exhaustion. Likewise, if this becomes a reason for moderators to dictate every action that a player takes, they'll be the only ones left. And that's something that no one wants to happen.


That is why this is going to be an open discussion when somepony are specifically requesting changes.

Now that that's out of the way.

I only play two characters, one which I will henceforth be retiring because I doubt he'd be accepted around here.

1. Thunderball (My main character)
2. Pyrrhus (My alt, retiring.)


I can't tell because I can't figure out what exact ability they have. However, please understand that a Pegasus that can shoot lighting and fly as fast as Rainbow Dash, is kinda... over the top. If he have more then that, he might requires some changes.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Zephyr Haste wrote:This is more a question than a suggestion. does anypony have any pointers for my main: Zephyr Haste? This is my first RP character ever, and I would like to know if I could be improving him in any way. Thanks!


Please keep in mind this is not a character pointer thread. You need to tell em exactly what ability and action you want me to look into. Just give me a character profile is... nice, but I really can't grasp exactly what might be a problem on first glance. It have more to do with just an ability, it also have to do with how you plan on using it, how you justifies having it, etc.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Armads » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Well you've seen my other discussion thread regarding the rule change. I've wracked my brain trying to think of a proper analogy, and finally I've come up with one.

It's like performing a shot-put. In an RP with clearly defined rules, it's like somepony picked up a shot-put, threw it, marked where it landed, and said "These are the boundaries, and you don't go beyond them. That's clearly defined, and everypony knows where they stand.

Now when you assign just a rating, like you have here, it's like dipping the shot-put in paint first. It hits the ground, rolls, and makes a line of paint on the ground. Now no one has any idea where the boundary is. Is is where the ball landed? Is it at the far end of the line? Is it somewhere in the middle? Or are we going to throw another ball from a perpendicular angle so you could draw a circle around it? It's chaos, and that's what we have here.

Now, here is my problem with making the main cast the baseline for what is alright. This is an RP where people are making their own characters. The main cast are not the strongest ponies in Equestria. Using Twilight as the basis for magic is like using a meter-stick and saying no one can be taller than that. She's a student, and while she is the element of magic itself, she's LEARNING. And that implies that there is more powerful magic, and that there are ponies who had to discover that magic to begin with. If everything is by the book, somepony had to come up with it first. That isn't to say that every character who uses magic should be allowed to be that powerful, because it would be kinda pointless at that point, but it's the first example.

Since rainbow dash is really the only other pony who comes into play here, it should be said that she is NOT the fastest pony in equestria. If she was, she wouldn't have to want to be on the wonderbolts. She'd just be with them. Secondly she can't have been the only pony to have ever done a sonic rainboom, because ponies had heard of it before she had even done it. This implies that at least one pony, even if it was an ancestor of hers or something, would have had to have done it.

The other problem is that by saying that no character can ever be stronger than a main cast member, you're basically not giving ponies a reason to develop. This was my issue with the glooze finale, which I have dictated to oni, but will repost here.

My issues with the end of that arc was that it didn't feel like the players did anything. They were simply there, while the main cast saved the day. Personally, the stint in cloudsdale with everypony working seemed like a far better end to it, because ponies that weren't played by the main cast actually did something.

That being said, limiting the strength of ponies based on the main cast, who are still growing in the course of the show, is a really foolish idea. While I understand that ponies created for the singular purpose of god-modding and causing trouble are a problem, saying "this is the limit to how far you will ever go" is foolish. There ARE ponies more powerful than the main cast, there always will be, or there would never be any conflict.

This is a huge problem with creating plotlines. Because the site has decided that they will not be creating storylines all the time, you've left it up to the players. Now you've told the players that they can't make deep, philosophical, emotional, or gripping stories because that wouldn't fit into a show that has a total run time of 22 minutes. As detailed in my other thread, in that short amount of time there is a problem, a setback, and a conclusion. Considering that the average roleplay plotline lasts around a week, that is quite unsatisfactory. Furthermore, without being able to make their own plotlines, you've basically given everypony nothing to do. So now, are we all supposed to sit around on our hands waiting for something to happen? That's not a good way to make characters interact. You can only talk for so long before that gets really boring and you need to find something else to do. People want action and adventure, just as they want drama and suspense, comedy and tragedy. It's takes all kinds to make a roleplay work.

We are not writing episodes for the show. We are taking a universe, making characters, and acting as those characters inside of this universe. There is a big difference here. Yes, we should keep to the spirit of the show. We should not be sitting here trying to make characters for the show so that no one can be creative. That is precisely the opposite of what the show itself espouses.

As for my own character:

He has NEVER been able to fly faster than dash, only keep up. Futhermore that was only once, when he was riding the stream behind her during the glooze invasion. He is considerably slower than dash, and if he ever pulled what he did then again he would probably break his neck trying. The lightning effects have had the appropriate drawbacks. For example he cannot use it for long (think of it like a battery that only has so much juice), he cannot personally stop himself from giving it off (think of it like a statically charged balloon), and he cannot touch water or anything of the kind of it'd be like dropping your toaster in your bathtub. Even if that still seems excessive to you, I implore you to look at my track record thus far with RPing. I do not believe I have ever pushed the boundaries past where they should go outside of that story event, and I believe that on that level things are fine.
Armads
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby DblSpark » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Yeah i've got several characters so i'll get to it.
I've updated all of the profiles as well today

Axl
Noland
PlatinumSpark
Glyde
Django
Sleight
RayJ
Arc
Jentra
Machrome
Redjack/Blackjack -Yeah, his description is going to change, now that he's seen the error of his ways.
Image
User avatar
DblSpark
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:19 am
Location: London

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Armads wrote:Now when you assign just a rating, like you have here


That is not what I did. "Please keep the chat as much like in MLP as possible" is not a rating. It is just a general guideline, and the only reason it is like this is because this is what this site is for: To make a site where people can play in Ponyville in the show.


Now, here is my problem with making the main cast the baseline for what is alright.


That is not true either, we are making baseline base on what the show say is the most extreme situation. We are not basing it on the main cast.

From the show we learn these:
Sonic Rainbow is Legendary, No pony beside Rainbow Dash that are currently alive have ever done anything like it, confirmed by having many pony stating such
Twilight magical capability is the most powerful in all of Equestria, confirmed by many ponies including Celestia

They are not baseline because they are done by mane cast, they are baseline because the show tell us that there are nothing more powerful then those.


My issues with the end of that arc was that it didn't feel like the players did anything.


That was already discussed many times before, the exact same word was bought up the instant the story was over, in fact. It was not overlooked, I assure you.


Now you've told the players that they can't make deep, philosophical, emotional, or gripping stories because that wouldn't fit into a show that has a total run time of 22 minutes. As detailed in my other thread, in that short amount of time there is a problem, a setback, and a conclusion.


I disagree with that, simply because you can't do what is bluntly and outrageously outside of the show does not mean there are not enough to do otherwise. There are still plenty of stuff to do and this request is to ask player to focus on what bought us here.


As for my own character:

He has NEVER been able to fly faster than dash, only keep up. Futhermore that was only once, when he was riding the stream behind her during the glooze invasion. He is considerably slower than dash, and if he ever pulled what he did then again he would probably break his neck trying. The lightning effects have had the appropriate drawbacks. For example he cannot use it for long (think of it like a battery that only has so much juice), he cannot personally stop himself from giving it off (think of it like a statically charged balloon), and he cannot touch water or anything of the kind of it'd be like dropping your toaster in your bathtub. Even if that still seems excessive to you, I implore you to look at my track record thus far with RPing. I do not believe I have ever pushed the boundaries past where they should go outside of that story event, and I believe that on that level things are fine.


What I seem suggest otherwise:

Code: Select all
15:27:15 : Thunderball shakes his head. "I am not as cool as you say. I am many things, and you do not want to be around me. You seem like a good pony, and as such should not be hanging around me. But, I do appreciate the sentiment. Regardless, I must leave. My duties never cease." With a sound like a sonic-boom, he bolted off towards the horizon before vanishing utterly.


seem here

Code: Select all
00:44:11 : Thunderball nods silently before flying off towards the everfree forest, a small sonic boom being heard throughout the area.


seem here

Keep in mind. I'm not saying you have a problem, but please understand, your character's flying capability alone, in the world of MLP, is nothing short of extraordinary, and ontop ofthat extraordinary ability, he have something truly unique and probably just as extraordinary. AND ontop of that, he have even more things...

If you think a character have to be so overwhelmingly powerful and special in order to be developed upon, then I have a feeling we are unlikely to ever agree to anything. ^^;
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:23 pm

D-Rave wrote:Yeah i've got several characters so i'll get to it.
I've updated all of the profiles as well today

Axl
Noland
PlatinumSpark
Glyde
Django
Sleight
RayJ
Arc
Jentra
Machrome
Redjack/Blackjack -Yeah, his description is going to change, now that he's seen the error of his ways.


Please don't just throw a list of character to me. If you have something specific in each of those character you feel that is outrageously out of MLP world, let me know, please, be more specific.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Armads » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Let me first start out by saying that I was referring to my other post about the rule regarding what is and isn't allowed, because all that is says there is a rating. That is what I was referring to there. And again, a general guideline is not a good thing when you are trying to make sure people are staying within rules you are trying to impose.

Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom is indeed legendary. However, my point still stands, because people knew about it. That does not mean any other pony can necessarily do it, and probably shouldn't. More on that point regarding my own character below.

Twilight's case however is different. If she was indeed the most powerful magic user, that would make her more powerful than Celestia herself. However, I would point out that she has the greatest magic capability, not the greatest amount of power as of yet. As the show progresses, this will undoubtedly chance. But again, somepony had to create all those spells for her to look in a book and use. There are magical teachers, which means there are more powerful magic users out in the MLP world. Does that mean that players should be running around with abilities that shift space and time itself? Of course not. But that does not mean that you should be limiting players by that.

It is good to see that that issue was brought up, moving past that point.

I did not imply there that characters should be able to do what is bluntly or outrageously outside of the show. That was NEVER on the table to begin with. Rather, it was about the fact that just about any plotline that could be considered mildly outside normal range of emotions of a young child could be outlawed. I would bring up the romances that have been springing up (which i am ok with as of now), but even ones involving your own character could possibly be considered suspect. There needs to be some form of outline to what is and isn't ok, because right now people are just guessing.

Regarding my own character:

I would point out that both of those occurred a while ago, and have not occurred since then. This is mostly because I personally found the idea disagreeable, and have retracted it. I do realize that at the present time my character has a few perks which come with what I am involved in, and if you wish to speak to me about those things I suggest we talk in private as I cannot discuss those aspects openly as far as I know.

I have never said that a character needs to be extraordinarily powerful or overwhelmingly special to be developed upon. It is my belief that the biggest improvements in a character should be mental and spiritual, not physical. I would point out that not once have I over-stepped the boundaries of what would constitute "super-pony" except in the storyline regarding the glooze. Aside from that, I used it only for dramatic effect, never to show up other ponies in any sort of rp session. I would also like to point out that again since then I have been cutting back on my abilities, because I myself found myself going a bit over the edge at times.

This character has always been about mental changes from the very beginning. I started off with a strong physical build, but a low mental a spiritual build. He is in no way perfect, and that is the point. A character's development is more than just the sum of his traits. A character that is overly-powerful does not make him a bad character to roleplay, because such characters can be very rewarding if handled well. Likewise, an extremely underpowered character can be just as rewarding, as long as it is handled well.

A character is always defined by the player as to whether or not it is good or bad. I have been trying to take a step back in my affairs on this site, and dedicating myself solely to the plot at hand without over-reaching myself.

I am fully aware that his flying ability was FAR too overpowered at that point, and since then and in the future I will be sure to cut back on it as I have. If you wish to discuss the other things, please PM me, for I am not allowed to discuss it here.
Armads
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby DblSpark » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:49 pm

D-Rave wrote:Yeah i've got several characters so i'll get to it.
I've updated all of the profiles as well today

Axl
Noland
PlatinumSpark
Glyde
Django
Sleight
RayJ
Arc
Jentra
Machrome
Redjack/Blackjack -Yeah, his description is going to change, now that he's seen the error of his ways.


Sorry about that
Axl
He has the physics defying scarf that holds lot of things and moves/extends and a rubber band like effect
The twin blades perhaps that repel magic

Noland
Geomancy
Magic trace ( Just being able to detect the presence of magic/ or the user)

Platinum
His the rod/pole . For flight
Gynophobia

Sleight
The magic cards.

Glyde
He can pull off a sonic boom but not one like rainbow dash in terms of speed.

Machrome
He wears greaves

Django
He's kinda strong and he likes fighting

Jentra
Lasers ,
Image
User avatar
DblSpark
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:19 am
Location: London

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Armads wrote:Let me first start out by saying that I was referring to my other post about the rule regarding what is and isn't allowed,


This isn't the other thread. ^^;

Rainbow Dash's sonic rainboom is indeed legendary. However....

Twilight's case however is different....


Going by what you said, means pretty much no limit on anything whatsoever. Unfortunately, that approach does not make the chat feel more MLP, it makes it less like MLP. Please keep in mind, the objective here is to make it feel more like the show. Not less, therefore, we choose to use what information given to us from the show to determines maximum status. If you have a better suggestion to keep the chat more in spirit with the show, please provide an alternative.



I did not imply there that characters should be able to do what is bluntly or outrageously outside of the show.


This is really all we are doing now.

I am fully aware that his flying ability was FAR too overpowered at that point


Great, good that we are in agreement.

If you wish to discuss the other things, please PM me, for I am not allowed to discuss it here.


I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't recall disallowing something to be discussed.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:04 pm

D-Rave wrote:Axl
He has the physics defying scarf that holds lot of things and moves/extends and a rubber band like effect
The twin blades perhaps that repel magic


Please keep in mind there are no magical item of any type in the show so far beside the necklaces and tiara the mane six worn at the time they defeat Nightmare moon. If you have a magical item, you already are getting quite a bit outside of the show.


Noland
Geomancy
Magic trace ( Just being able to detect the presence of magic/ or the user)


Understanding he is a earth pony, he really should not be able to use any magic.

Or detect magic. As far as the show goes, there are no evident that magic can be detected. However that is rather minor in my opinion. Just make sure to ask other player before you detect them will be good enough.

Platinum
His the rod/pole . For flight
Gynophobia


Please keep in mind there are no magical item of any type in the show so far beside the necklaces and tiara the mane six worn at the time they defeat Nightmare moon. If you have a magical item, you already are getting quite a bit outside of the show.
Gynophobia is not an really a ability


Sleight
The magic cards.


Again, magical item.


Glyde
He can pull off a sonic boom but not one like rainbow dash in terms of speed.


I have no idea what you mean by "but not one like rainbow dash in terms of speed".

As far as we know, breaking sonic barrier is "Legendary" act according to the show that only one pony are confirmed to be able to do.

Machrome
He wears greaves


I have no idea what those are.

Django
He's kinda strong and he likes fighting


I would focus more on this
"His arte manifests his will power to make it visible. He can sometimes use it to unleash a close range blast of energy "

Not really a big deal. The show doesn't say those are not possible, but certainly something very special.


Jentra
Lasers ,


... "metal wrist band can morph into a cannon (mega buster). What it fires depends on what setting its on... (Laser/Beam)"

Seriously?

My opinion is that all your character need a huge nerfing to be similar to what show up on the show.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Armads » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:24 pm

It is not the other thread, that is correct. But I was very well aware that you were aware of it, so I saw no reason to repost everything there here again. I would be more than happy to do so if you'd like, but I found that to be counter-intuitive because you've already read it all.

My point is this. You've said that you're not basing the limits of a character on the strengths of the main cast. Then you say that they are the best at what they do, so anything beyond that is impossible. To which i reply that you've just said that they are the limit of pony accomplishment.

A character should not be created that surpasses the main characters immediately out of the gate. However I do believe that through RPing, characters should get more powerful if they decide to go that route. Characters are not static, they change overtime. Even in the show change in power levels did occur over time. It took a lot of time, but so should this.

If you have a problem with the things I have been doing as of late, then you need to speak with the moderator who allowed me to do what I am doing now for the plotline that is moving forward. I had discussed it for weeks with them, and they gave me the go-ahead. Regarding those abilities, speak with the mod behind Nightmare Moon's character.
Armads
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Armads wrote:My point is this. You've said that you're not basing the limits of a character on the strengths of the main cast. Then you say that they are the best at what they do, so anything beyond that is impossible. To which i reply that you've just said that they are the limit of pony accomplishment.


No... I didn't say that. I said two specific capability are the best show in the show. Correlation does not equal relation. It is very easy to imagine somepony who can find gem better then Rarity, or are better at handling animal then Fluttershy, because the show never said those ability of theirs are legendary or unparalleled. I'm really not quite sure how to make this more clear. This isn't about "You can't do what the Mane cast can't do". This is about "You can't do what the show tell us is legendary, and pretend it is not particularly special".


If you have a problem with the things I have been doing as of late, then you need to speak with the moderator who allowed me to do what I am doing now for the plotline that is moving forward. I had discussed it for weeks with them, and they gave me the go-ahead. Regarding those abilities, speak with the mod behind Nightmare Moon's character.


I didn't say anything regarding to those plotline. I was not actual told of the details of those plot line or the specific ability came from those plotline.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby DblSpark » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Sorry i'm not good with gathering quotes separately.

So in terms of magic items not being in the show i can understand Axl and his scarf. I could always say its elastic and can be tied around things but i can remove the extending.

But Platinum's rod isn't magic its just a gadget with its own power source (himself) similar to Django. He can't do that much aside from fly and hit things. Its kind of a stave

As long as the items aren't obscenely powerful i guess there ok. (As long as they can't destroy things with ease or rend the infinite darkness).
I can also change so that they only come out for self defence(usually in a event) or for just humor.

Sleight's magic cards- he is a unicorn and that's the only kind of magic he can do which is his talent. In most cases he applies the magic to the cards. Aside from minor tasks.

Does that mean that sonic booms are rainbow dash only?

Greaves are leg guards.

Jentra is a (megaman based) parody character which i use for jokes. He more or less just brings about a new gadget to try out depending on my mood :P. He's for comedy...

But i do understand that my characters seem out of place in some cases.
Image
User avatar
DblSpark
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:19 am
Location: London

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Armads » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:07 pm

That is basically the same thing in all honesty, because when you go to make a character that is slightly above average, the question comes us as "Is this close enough to what the main cast can do to be considered legendary?" That in itself is a comparison. It seems clear from where I am that if somepony invented a character whose sole superior trait was that they were better at finding gems or handling animals, that it would be considered overpowered. If the show says this is legendary that's fine. But taking everything literally is not the best way to go. It is clear for example, that Twilight may have the greatest overall capability when it comes to magic. That is fact. However, that is quite similar to looking at a young athlete and saying that they have the greatest potential to grow. You do not look at them and say that they are pinnacle of what is possible, nor should it be said that Twilight is currently the greatest magic user in Equestria. As such it is very possible that there are ponies that could be superior to her for the time being, but are not as capable overall.

As a side note on magical items. If they were created, there is a precedent for them. While not every pony should have them, it is not rational to say that no other pony could create them. The ones in the show were designed to be legendary, but that doesn't mean that some pony somewhere couldn't create some item with magical properties that was significantly weaker than that. It stands to reason that some pony somewhere would have the idea and follow through with it, just as various people around the world, who had never met one another, all had the urge to make things like pottery.

Lastly, you said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't recall disallowing something to be discussed.


This was in reference to this line that I said as far as I can tell:

I do realize that at the present time my character has a few perks which come with what I am involved in, and if you wish to speak to me about those things I suggest we talk in private as I cannot discuss those aspects openly as far as I know.


Currently I am involved in a plotline with NMM, as are a few others, and said plotline has given me bonuses so that we can push it forward. If you take issue with this, I only ask that you speak with her, because she is the one who allowed them in the first place. So if there is an issue, please speak with her.

I have also considered suspending my RP activity for some time so that all this can be addressed. At this present time, I do not wish to accidentally do something that is against the rules, seeing as they seem to be rather up in the air. Then again, that is why we are having this discussion.
Armads
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:08 pm

D-Rave wrote:But Platinum's rod isn't magic its just a gadget with its own power source (himself) similar to Django. He can't do that much aside from fly and hit things. Its kind of a stave


How exactly does a "rod" make somepony able to fly?

for just humor.


That is typically a good way to go.

Does that mean that sonic booms are rainbow dash only?


Well, the show say it is.

Jentra is a (megaman based) parody character which i use for jokes. He more or less just brings about a new gadget to try out depending on my mood :P. He's for comedy...


Parody is usually fine. Keep the laser thing in touch by doing things that the show shows that can be done would be good enough.

But i do understand that my characters seem out of place in some cases.


Most people do understand that their character are out of place. In fact, most are made out of place intentionally. People like to be special in a fantasy. Such thing are understandable. Just keep in mind if everypony can do things as well as the mane six can do, there isn't going to be much MLP feeling to it.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Masterweaver » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:17 pm

WHOA BACK UP! There ARE magic items on the show. The Gala tickets "marked" themselves for the ponies in question, thereby floating in front of the non-unicorns!

Okay, yes, that's just a theory. BUT! Just because we don't see something on the show doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Granted, magic items would probably not be at Element power level; in fact, they might be a lot lower. Still, in almost every setting which has magic, there will inevitably be some sort of magic item. ((In fact, Twilight's computer thing in Pinkie Keen could easily be magical, thus explaining how such an out-of-place technology exists in the otherwise nonelectric Equestria.)) Flat out denying something that is almost a genre constant is probably not a wise move.

And, if that doesn't convince you.... Trixie has a wand as her cutie mark. Wands are inherently magical. Unless they're fake, but she couldn't get a cutie mark of something that didn't theoretically exist, could she?
Masterweaver
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Over and Beyond

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby DblSpark » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:24 pm

moved to page 3
Last edited by DblSpark on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
DblSpark
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:19 am
Location: London

Re: Characters reviews discussion

Postby Mayday » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Armads wrote: You do not look at them and say that they are pinnacle of what is possible


I didn't, and I don't plan to. I said those will be used as a guideline as whether your character is extraordinary or not. If you have character who have a bunch of extraordinary capability and evolves everything about those capability, you might want to reconsiders the focus. Most MLP story isn't around an ability or gadget.


As a side note on magical items. If they were created, there is a precedent for them. While not every pony should have them, it is not rational to say that no other pony could create them. The ones in the show were designed to be legendary, but that doesn't mean that some pony somewhere couldn't create some item with magical properties that was significantly weaker than that. It stands to reason that some pony somewhere would have the idea and follow through with it, just as various people around the world, who had never met one another, all had the urge to make things like pottery.


Of course.


I have also considered suspending my RP activity for some time so that all this can be addressed. At this present time, I do not wish to accidentally do something that is against the rules, seeing as they seem to be rather up in the air. Then again, that is why we are having this discussion.


I'm sad to hear that you some how think the rules are up in the air, but they are anything but. Let me stress this once and for all. The rule is NOT up in the air. The focus will always be to keep the place as MLP like as possible. And the measure will be to talk to character who have problem understanding or creating character that are suitable for MLP roleplay. If we have a problem with you, we would discuss with you before anything are done. I'm rather dishearted that you still think this is some kinda crack down. So let me put this in bold:
No one have been punished, will be, or plan to be punished in any way, shape, or form, simply because their character is off. All that will happen is that they will be discussed with, talk to, and we will find a compromise that we can both agree. Nothing more.
User avatar
Mayday
Administrator
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:12 am

Next

Return to Out of character

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron