View topic - Puzzles and Ponies: Official Chat RPG system

Puzzles and Ponies: Official Chat RPG system

Out of character discussion for roleplay related stuff

Puzzles and Ponies: Official Chat RPG system

Postby Mayday » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:16 am

We are announcing that we finally found an Official Chat RPG system. We will be using.... Puzzles and Ponies!

We think that integrating it directly into our chat will be a great way to help keep ourselves balanced, as well as to encourage and harbour further creativity when developing your characters. Making a character sheet is going to be mandatory. Using dice in roleplay will be optional. The main reason for this, is to help balance things out a bit more, and to help us play together more fairly Also, character points may be awarded for participation in future events! Familiarize yourself with the rules (They are extremely simple and easy to use!) make a sheet for your character, and have some more fun!

The idea was obtained from here and we will now begins to use it, and soon, incorporates all the number into the chat profile system. We will encourage everypony to use it.

To give everypony some very quick basic, there are six stats, These stats are Gumption, Quickness. Excitement. Smartness. Caring. and Friendship. Each of them measures something different about what your pony can do. You start at 1 point on each stats, and add 8 points wherever you wants to a total of 14 points. In addition, you have one special ability connected with your cutie mark.

This system is design around Ponyville roleplay, not for fighting and killing. Also, it is designed to make you understand about your character, whether your character is over powered or fitting in the MLP universe as well. See this for an example.

Summery:

1. Yes, this is mandatory. Every character on this site will need to have a character sheet.
2. Using it, however, is completely optional.
3. It is Very simple. Seven lines of text, that is it.
Mayday
Administrator

Re: Puzzles and Ponies: Official Chat RPG system

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:52 am

Sounds like fun to me! I'll get right to work on Skyblaze, Thistledown, and Bright Eyes.

Since Big MacIntosh is already done, I'll just use those stats for him.

Edit: Awesome. Nice, quick, and easy, as a chat-based RPG should be.

Edit again: Somepony used fancy mathematics to muddy the issue! I've re-done my characters with 14 points instead of 16. Where I got 16 from I'll never know... :shock:

Skyblaze
Gumption:
1 - Skyblaze is not strong, and is somewhat timid.
Quickness: 3 - Speed is not Skyblaze's forte. She is of about average speed.
Excitement: 4 - She has bouts of self-doubt from time to time and can be socially awkward, but Skyblaze has an almost infectious cheerfulness and rarely lets anything get her down.
Smartness: 2 - Skyblaze graduated in the middle of her class at Weather School in Cloudsdale.
Caring: 3 - It is easy for Skyblaze to empathize with others, and truly cares for the well-being of those around her.
Friendship: 1
Cutie Mark: Partly Cloudy. Skyblaze can cancel one failed roll regarding attempts to control the weather.

Thistledown
Gumption:
3 - Thistledown can be stubborn and, being a farm pony, is fairly sturdy.
Quickness: 1 - One doesn't need speed to tend the fields.
Excitement: 3 - Thistledown is fun-loving and gregarious, and this shows in her willingness to interact with even complete strangers.
Smartness: 2 - Although she has a lot of common sense, Thistledown isn't highly educated. She's of about average intelligence.
Caring: 4 - Thistledown is a very caring pony, and is always ready, willing, and able to lend a hoof to a pony in need, even if she doesn't know them.
Cutie Mark: Thistle Flower. Thistledown’s Cutie Mark is indicative of her noble spirit. (I'm still working on the details of what he special skill should be. Check back later! :D )

Bright Eyes
Gumption:
2 - Bright Eyes is not particularly strong or stubborn.
Quickness: 4 - As a deer, Bright Eyes is one of the fastest creatures in the Whitetail Wood.
Excitement: 2 - Bright Eyes is still skittish around ponies, and is in the process of learning their customs.
Smartness: 2 - Bright Eyes spent most of her life secluded with her herd in the deep woods. She still has a lot to learn.
Caring: 3 - The strength of a herd, any herd, relies on how well the members care for one another. That is true for deer as well as for ponies, and Bright Eyes is no exception.
Cutie Mark: None. Bright Eyes is a deer and does not have a Cutie Mark. However, because of her leaping ability, Bright Eyes gets a +1 bonus on Gumption rolls if she is trying to jump for distance and/or height.

For Big Mac, I'll just use the stats given here:
http://fillydelphia.com/content/puzzles ... -ponyville
Last edited by Skyblaze on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
Skyblaze

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:16 pm

What would be a fair extra bonus for Bright Eyes? Since she's a deer, she doesn't get a Cutie Mark.

How about "Bounding?"

Because of her leaping ability, Bright Eyes gets a +1 bonus on Gumption rolls if she is trying to jump for distance and/or height?
Skyblaze

Postby Mayday » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Skyblaze wrote:What would be a fair extra bonus for Bright Eyes? Since she's a deer, she doesn't get a Cutie Mark.

How about "Bounding?"

Because of her leaping ability, Bright Eyes gets a +1 bonus on Gumption rolls if she is trying to jump for distance and/or height?

Anything reasonable sound fine. Something like this seem reasonable.
Mayday
Administrator

Postby Mayday » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Mayday Sunnyside
An aggressive looking fiery Pegasus, while she is surprisingly outgoing and alert, she actually is fairly soft spoken and even a bit shy on occasion, fitting to her below average size. She tries to hide her shyness with a witty and sarcastic attitude, and most of the time, it works without hassle.

Gumption: 2 - Mayday is actually quite strong thanks to her previous fire and rescue occupation, her small size would prevent her from carrying anypony that are bulky, though.
Quickness: 3 - She is also very fast for a pegasus
Excitement: 2 - She is some what motivated in life in general, but not very interested in stepping out of her comfort zone.
Smartness: 4 - She might not look like a smart girl, but she is well above average analytic skill and reasoning skill.
Caring: 2 - She really care about finding objective and goal for ponies, but she might be a bit permissive when it come to issue that she doesn't find important to her, even if it is important to other ponies.
Friendship:1 - She's a new pony to this town, her socializing skill have much to improve

Cutie mark: Mayday's mark is a Fiery Exclamation Mark (!) surrounded by a white oval backdrop. She have not explained the detail of her cutie mark to any but one pony. However no special ability have been observed from her beside having a fairly high sense of awareness and information gathering.
Mayday
Administrator

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Mayday wrote:Anything reasonable sound fine. Something like this seem reasonable.

Ok, thanks!

I'm still working on Thistledown's cutie mark ability. I'm trying to come up with something that would work in roleplay, but wouldn't require other players to have their characters act a certain way.
Skyblaze

Postby Greenling » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Greenling
A standoffish and aggressive Unicorn. She is intelligent, but has no self esteem due to her small, chunky build and life of emotional torment. She's fairly deadpan, and easy o anger, but she really does just want to be loved.

Gumption: 5 - She keeps an entire menagerie of potentially dangerous plants under control, by herself.

Quickness: 1 - Being small and squat is limiting when it comes to physical power.

Excitement: 2 - She is rarely excited by anything but the chance of seeing Princess Luna.

Smartness: 4 - Greenling is clever, though very cynical, which can limit her insight and judgement.

Caring: 2 - She cares about all plants, and the few ponies she calls friends.

Friendship: 1 - Greenling is hard to get close to, due to her suspicious outlook and harsh personality.

Cutie Mark: A sunflower with a center made up of spirals. The spirals show some her turbulent emotional status.

Spookling
A Pegasus filly who spends her time talking to bones and burying them.

Gumption: 1 - She isn't very strong, but she can find it within herself to try as hard as possible.

Quickness: 3 - Spooky is very quick to avoid being spotted by ponies who might persecute her.

Excitement: 3 - She is easily excited by her work.

Smartness: 2 - Spookling isn't the sharpest when it comes to relations with other ponies.

Caring: 3 - Spooky's entire being revolves around her need to help.

Friendship: 1 - She has few friend for fear of being found out

Cutie mark: A bone with a heart carved into it, surrounded by a plume of grey mist.

Frost Fizz
An amiable Pegasus who has an odd fascination with the concept of the abyss.

Gumption: 4 - Frosty has amazing stamina, flying for days on end without stopping.

Quickness: 1 - Fizz never really worried about speed, so she isn't very quick

Excitement: 1 - Fizz is rarely excited by anything short of a canon or sheer drop to the sea.

Smartness: 2 - Frost is a pony of average intelligence.

Caring: 2 - She will help ponies in trouble, but only if she is their only chance.

Friendship: 1 - Fizz has few friends, due to her transient lifestyle.

Cutie mark: A bottle of soda surrounded by snowflakes shows her love for unusual flavored drink.

Casserole
A giant, carnivorous plant owned by Greenling.

Gumption: 4 - Casserole is very strong.

Quickness: 4 - Using its roots as legs gives Casserole amazing speed.

Excitement: 2- This plant is only excited by the chance of eating meat

Smartness: 1 - Casserole isn't particularly smart by pony standards.

Caring: 2 - Casserole has little empathy by pony standards

Friendship: 1 - Casserole like other plants, and sees most animals as food.

Seeding Potential: Someday soon, Casserole will go to seed, and it is most likely that at least half of them will survive into maturity.

_______

'Broken' Bluebell
Greenling's younger sister, also a Unicorn. She is not well mentally.

Gumption: 1 - Bluebell's current physical state has made her very weak.

Quickness: 2 - Bluebell's physique (tall and lean) allow her to move slightly faster than smaller ponies

Excitement: 1 - Bluey shows little interest in most things.

Smartness: 4 - Bluebell has gained much intelligence in her time away from home

Caring: 3 - Bluey wants more than anything to make things right

Friendship: 1 - Bluebell's has only one real friend, as her strangeness is very off-putting

Cutie mark: A bluebell blossom torn up the side.
________

May Raven
An Earth pony who identifies herself as a witch.

Gumption: 3 - A an Earth pony, May Raven is fairly strong and stubborn.

Quickness: 2 - May is fairly speedy for an Earth pony, but not terribly fast

Excitement: 1 - She is rarely enthused.

Smartness: 3 - May Raven is a bit above average.

Caring: 3 - May cares deeply about her family

Friendship: 1 - She is hard to make friends with, but very worth the effort

Cutie mark: Two crows flying around a maypole with ribbons in their beaks
_________

Mella Udderly
A Jersey cow who lives near Ponyville

Gumption: 3 - She is not one to engage in it, but she is capable of hard physical labor

Quickness: 1 - Cows aren't built for speed.

Excitement: 2 - Mella is always interested in new things, which is why she asks so many questions

Smartness: 3 - Mella is slightly above cow average

Caring: 3 - Mella cares about all animals, seeing herself as a bridge between the food chain

Friendship: 2- She loves making friends, and is able to get along with nearly everypony

Milking Ability: Mella is able to produce very rich milk, which is a good substitute for meat for several carnivorous animals

_____

Olent
A Pegasus filly who knows everything about perfuming, smell, and aromatherapy

Gumption: 3 - Olent has a real hardy constitution, at least in her nose

Quickness: 1 - She... isn't very fast. At ALL.

Excitement: 3 - New smells are what get this girl up and out, so she's easy to excite

Smartness: 4 - She is a real clever girl when it comes to smells

Caring: 2 - She cares... When there's reason to

Friendship: 1 - Olent doesn't have many friends.

Cutie mark: A blue perfume atomizer with a white flower and green leaf in the background.

((Oy vey... remind me to never make more characters.))

((CRUD. Before I even-- GAH. Another one!))
Last edited by Greenling on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"For the glory of Luna, get yourself together."
Greenling

Postby Mayday » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Greenling wrote:((Oy vey... remind me to never make more characters.))

Just so you know you don't have to do them -right this second-. You could just make it later when you want to use them, or something!
Mayday
Administrator

Postby Greenling » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:37 pm

But I use them ALL The TIIIIME..... Curse my equally distributed attentions!
Greenling

Postby zeeth » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:14 pm

Skyblaze wrote:
Mayday wrote:Anything reasonable sound fine. Something like this seem reasonable.

Ok, thanks!

I'm still working on Thistledown's cutie mark ability. I'm trying to come up with something that would work in roleplay, but wouldn't require other players to have their characters act a certain way.

Actually, you could treat this as an opposed roll, since Thistledown is attempting to influence other ponies. So she would be the "attacker" trying to change a pony's attitude, and the other pony would defend (that is, try to keep on as they were). So she would get a bonus to opposed rolls when trying to influence others, due to her nobility of spirit.
zeeth

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, but that would require the other player to go along with whatever it is I'm suggesting should I succeed in the roll. That takes the decision of how to run their character out of their hooves, as it were. If they're willing to roleplay that, then there's no harm done, but otherwise, it means that the dice are running the roleplay, not the character(s).

Against an NPC or a monster it would be ok, though.
Skyblaze

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:00 pm

I went to the creator's DA page, and there he mentions having difficulty getting feedback on how his game plays. After we test it out in the chat game, somepony should go post feedback for him to help him out. :D
Skyblaze

Postby AppleTart » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Should we mention that the actual rolling and stats aspects don't really matter in day-to=day role playing? And that the numbers are really just a basis for most of us to use when interacting with each other?
AppleTart

Postby zeeth » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:18 pm

I suppose I'm okay with this stats system. However, I think these rules need some editing and improvement, it looks like they were scanned using OCR. They're also missing occasional phrases, as well as structural tags like the occasional carriage return. I'd love to volunteer, since I design games and game systems as a hobby, but I'd want to rebuild this thing from the ground up. I've seen some stats elements I'd love to bring in, but I'd also want to keep the simplicity if at all possible. We don't need another complex system if we can help it.

As far as the opposed roll system, I'd rather use the word "challenger" instead of "attacker", to emphasize that combat isn't the point, and that you can use this for much more than just smacking folks around. That's just one change in wording I'd make, as a writer. However, mechanically, I'd add a few things: Background (where your pony comes from), and Tricks (a few special skills a pony has learned; unicorns would start with spells, pegasi would start with flight/cloud/weather abilities, earth ponies would get world/land abilities or a special skill). These would be separate from one's Special Talent (Cutie Mark ability), but would add some depth to the character. Also, you could add a Trick regularly by studying.. which might necessitate a change in the awarding and use of experience points. And Tricks of different types could be studied, so Fluttershy can start off with her "freakish" knowledge of sewing in place of a special flight ability.

On top of that, Cutie Marks and Special Talents have flaws. Every deeper character has a few flaws; in this case, anxiety or failure of a Cutie Mark related ability may cause those flaws to show themselves in ways large or small (Cutie Mark Failure Insanity Disorder/CMFID).

All that complexity aside, here are my two chatroom characters, given stats under the current mechanics:

Mystic Heart, as a beginning pony:
She's an Earth Pony, a farmer, and an empath.

Gumption: 3 - As an Earth Pony farmer, Mystic grew up plowing fields, building structures, and otherwise using her body to do things.
Quickness: 2 - She's not the slowest, but she's not nearly the fastest pony ever.
Excitement: 2 - Mystic likes to stay calm, but she enjoys life as much as anypony.
Smartness: 2 - somepony who feels what others feel must spend time studying them, or lose herself. Mystic has a bit of wisdom in her.
Caring: 4 - Most of Mystic's focus is here, for good reason.
Friendship: 1 - She's new to Ponyville, having left her family and friends behind to study her Special Talent.
Cutie Mark: A dreamcatcher with a pink heart in its center. Mystic is an empath, subject to all the truths and flaws of this ability, which is primarily based in Caring. She gains a bonus to rolls involving the sensing of emotions around her. Unfortunately, she can also be overwhelmed by strong emotions, whether from large groups or intensely emotional individuals; if a pony friend isn't nearby to steady her, she can become filled with agitation, mania, anxiety, or a similar response as her personal defenses wear down. She loses her cutie mark bonus if she fails a roll involving these situations, and may begin to act out or become otherwise ineffective, until steadied.

Lost Star, as a beginning pony:
She's a Unicorn, a bookish, trickster-like student from Canterlot's Magical Academy, on vacation in Ponyville. She's studying to become an archaeologist and hippologist (equine anthropologist), but that's just because she wants to make money in addition to having lots of adventures; her current job for pocket change, however, is in selling her services finding lost items.

Gumption: 1 - She never focused on physical strength, but she's not lazy, just lightweight.
Quickness: 2 - Lost is an ordinary pony, not particularly given to dashing about in competition, especially not when she can just translocate if she needs to be quick.
Excitement: 3 - Lostie likes to play pranks and join in with parties and games. It's a shame she's had so few friends to share this with.
Smartness: 5 - With few friends, Lost tends to study more.
Caring: 2 - She's all right with others, she just hasn't developed a lot of attachment to them.
Friendship: 1 - Lost is new in town, and not likely to stay for more than a couple of months, unless she's assigned there like Twilight was.
Cutie Mark: The "lost star", a stylized form appearing only rarely among night-aligned unicorn families: five lines arrayed in a star shape, with a spark at each tip; each part is disconnected from the others, and there is an empty space in the center; hers is violet with red sparks. Lost's Special Talent concerns "that which is Lost and Found", and she can easily learn, cast, and improvise spells related to this category. She's very proud of her ability to find lost things: if she's challenged to find something and can't, she may become obsessed with it to the point of neglecting everything else.

I actually have a list of Tricks for Lost, spells and magical assists she uses regularly (like object-seeking, map divination, magic/energy analysis, illusion/lighting spells, translucence/invisibility, and an unusual teleportation method which fits with her playful, slightly-spooky theme). Her range is basically based on the strength of the energy or connection involved, and can be boosted using various divination methods, such as dowsing over a map (even the most crudely drawn map can be used, as long as it is visibly representative of the area she's trying to search in).
zeeth

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:27 pm

AppleTart wrote:Should we mention that the actual rolling and stats aspects don't really matter in day-to=day role playing? And that the numbers are really just a basis for most of us to use when interacting with each other?

I assumed as much, but in times when we are using the RP rules and rolling dice, I didn't want Thistledown's ability to come off as some sort of mind control. :?

In other news, I somehow got it into my head that characters were made with 16 points instead of 14. I've reworked my three accordingly.
Skyblaze

Postby Mayday » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:29 pm

AppleTart wrote:Should we mention that the actual rolling and stats aspects don't really matter in day-to=day role playing? And that the numbers are really just a basis for most of us to use when interacting with each other?

Exceptional point. I hope pony didn't miss that, since it was like, in bold on the first post.
Mayday
Administrator

Postby Mayday » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:32 pm

zeeth wrote:I suppose I'm okay with this stats system. However, I think these rules need some editing and improvement, it looks like they were scanned using OCR. They're also missing occasional phrases, as well as structural tags like the occasional carriage return. I'd love to volunteer, since I design games and game systems as a hobby, but I'd want to rebuild this thing from the ground up. I've seen some stats elements I'd love to bring in, but I'd also want to keep the simplicity if at all possible. We don't need another complex system if we can help it.

You are correct, and you CAN go and fix up the typo, it is in the wiki for a reason. However I would insist for now, that unless we have very good reason to change the actual system (like something we agree upon here) not to change anything beside typo or grammatically error.
Mayday
Administrator

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Mayday wrote:You are correct, and you CAN go and fix up the typo, it is in the wiki for a reason. However I would insist for now, that unless we have very good reason to change the actual system (like something we agree upon here) not to change anything beside typo or grammatically error.

I just did a quick spell-check to fix a few typos.
Skyblaze

Postby zeeth » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Skyblaze wrote:Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, but that would require the other player to go along with whatever it is I'm suggesting should I succeed in the roll. That takes the decision of how to run their character out of their hooves, as it were. If they're willing to roleplay that, then there's no harm done, but otherwise, it means that the dice are running the roleplay, not the character(s).

Against an NPC or a monster it would be ok, though.

Another option, it's any roll (including Friendship assistance rolls) which relates to "nobility of spirit". Pinkie Pie's cutie mark is about "Partying", which is a pretty vague concept, but according to the description in the rules, gives her a bonus to any roll related to that. Since Friendship is there specifically as a "helping others" state, that's easy enough to boost. And opposed rolls aren't always about noble things -- what's noble about a pie-eating contest? But if you saw how much somepony needed the win, would you do your best so that the contest was down to two competitors (you and them), and then forfeit in their favor? I'd call that an example of noble behavior. And perhaps with a plan like that, you might get a bonus to Gumption to out-eat every other competitor. But the forfeit itself is the goal, and you don't need to roll for that unless somepony is forcing you to compete; that's what role-playing is for.

I'd note that this "six-numbers and a phrase" thing doesn't really provide room for special abilities like "Rule of Funny" or "Cartoon physics" that some ponies really bring into play -- they have to be added to the various descriptions. The system lacks depth in that way. Rainbow Dash can accomplish a Sonic Rainboom, but it's a "limit break": she normally can't do it! She has to wind up and put her whole self into "win or else" mode, focused specifically on the need for speed, and any doubt or distraction will cause her to rebound from the attempt.

But we haven't seen unicorns get limit breaks; (EDIT: Actually, this is one.) Twilight's "avatar" or "wild flare" thingy is uncontrolled magic spewing out of her, rather than a competently handled capability, but it's also a limit break. With the Elements of Harmony, it becomes focused on the cleansing of a demon-touched alicorn in the second episode (apparently the ooze is making a comeback), but the closest Twilight ever gets again is in handling the Ursa Minor, where she lifts basically the weight of a house and a castle while improvising a milking spell. And she's pushed into the ground from the force, while her horn glows immensely and gives little spurts showing how Twilight is at the limits of her control.

Also, Big Mac's cutie mark is a large McIntosh apple cut in half, exposing its inner contents; I rather suspect his special talent relates more to deeper insights and truths about the world (thus his supposed ability with apple accessories). He's so quiet because he's observant and introspective, but in the show, few ponies ask his advice. I would love to hear his canon cutie mark story.
Last edited by zeeth on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeeth

Postby zeeth » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Greenling wrote:Casserole

Seeding Potential: Someday soon, Casserole will go to seed, and it is most likely that at least half of them will survive into maturity.

I'd presume that the "average" stat level for ponies is 2. So a 1 is weak, while a 2 is "basically functional". If Casserole has very little empathy, perhaps its Caring is a 1 or even a 0, since all it's really looking for is a good meal. If Greenling weren't around to keep it from devouring ponies, this would make a good monster or antagonist instead.
zeeth

Postby Tom Atlus » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Arcane Scholar

Gumption: 3 He is above average in toughness thanks to his training but has been slacking off in his diet and amount of exercise preventing him from reaching full potential.

Quickness: 2 He has a decent amount of speed to him, but don't expect him to keep up with somepony with above average speed or higher without magical assistance!

Excitement: 2 He has a spark of excitement to him but tends to keep calm.

Smartness: 4 He is smarter than the average pony! He spent a long amount of time studying magical theory to have the skills he has today.

Caring: 2 He is sympathetic towards most ponies he meets but ponies that make a bad impression on him tend to stay on his "list" of ponies to avoid unless proven otherwise

Friendship: 1 While outwardly friendly it's hard for him to truly expect ponies as his "friends."

Cutie Mark: Archie's cutie mark is an image of an open tome surrounded by 6 symbols representing 4 natural elements and two "extra skills" that he set out to learn after learning his first branch of elemental magic: lightning magic. Not sure what to do with this one at the moment.
Tom Atlus

Postby DblSpark » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Draft for now might be subject to change

Platinum Spark ((Sparx))
Gumption: 3- He's strong willed and pretty stubborn
Quickness: 3 - He's quite athletic when exploring (4 Green event)
Excitement: 4- He's extremely energetic and competitive
Smartness: 2 -He can be very reckless at times
Caring: 2- He's usually the mischief maker and usually doesn't say/use the right words. Sort of a reckless leader of his gang.
Friendship:1 -His reputation needs work...

Cutie Mark- Metallic star with a streak surrounded by electric sparks- Charge- He's good with specific gadgets that are non magic based. He adds a 'spark' to them and has a talent of using them effectively.
+1 for handling forms of gadgets/machinery

Axl RiseEdge
Gumption-4 He's pretty strong and has practised heavy lifting
Quickness-2 Not particularly speedy like other ponies (3 Green event)
Excitement-3 He''s usually in a good mood and enjoys meeting new ponies
Smartness- 2 Magic is way beyond him....+ he needs to know when to say the right words...
Caring-3 He can be pretty helpful. Goes by a goal of becoming a hero
Friendship-1 Most ponies have the wrong idea about him.

Cutie mark- Twin red and blue hexagon hilted swords crossing over with a star in the center-The red sword represents valor/courage the blue represents vigor/wisdom and the star is the two combined in a form of a master hero. It represents his ideals he hopes to gain ...
Chivalry- +1 for Mostly heroic/helpful actions // or instead he has a talent with the use held items +1 for actions involving handheld objects ...

Noland Trace ((Could be classed as a hornless unicorn...))
Gumption 2-Even as a earth pony he's not the strongest.... Plus he's usually calm and avoids confrontations if he can...
Quickness 2-He doesn't run much or is he that agile
Excitement 3-He has a strange sense of humor but is nonetheless postive
Smartness 4-He thinks things through and has access to a specific form of magic due to a badge ((Without the badge he has little to no control whatsoever...))
Caring 3-He is pretty responsible seeing as he is a guild master
Friendship 1- He sees himself as a bit of an outcast...

Cutie Mark- A spherical grid of the earth with a target crosshair in the center.- Crosshair represents his keen talent of awarness and the earth represents his form of magic.
I would class him under a unicorn skill seeing as that's what his cutie mark is mostly based off.
+1 for the use of his magic((geomancy)) when building/transport.

Glyde AeroBeat
Gumption 2 Being a pegasus he ain't very strong
Quickness 3 Fast while airborne but is slowed down due to always carry something on his back (4 Green event)
Excitement 3 -Likes the occasional challenge and comedic sketching
Smartness 3 He bounces between being easily distracted and being incredibly alert and aware of his surroundings.
Caring 3- He actually up for the job of assisting ponies in need. Ifyou meet him you'll get a nice sketch to go with it
Friendship 1- Seems to be out there in his own when he's enjoying the air or drawing a picture...

Cutie mark- Metallic wing with dash lines applied to it. Represents his amazing air control and gliding ability.
Can reroll failed attempts of airbourne activity that are not speed related...

Django BuckFire
Gumption- 5- Very strong lifts heavy objects all day
Quickness -4 Quick on his hooves
Excitement-2 He can be pretty fun to be around but most of the time his aggressive demeanor interrupts it
Smartness 1- He does not think things through at all.
Caring -2 He bounces back to being caring or not caring at all
Friendship 1- Too hot headed most of the time

Cutie Mark- A ring containing a burst/explosion represents his physical strength and willpower
+1 For heavy lifting and muscle use

Sleight Lock
Gumption 2- Not that strong. Has his magic to assist him
Quickness 2- Not particularly speedy either but can shuffle cards at an alarming rate
Excitement 3- Seems very upbeat and flirts a lot
Smartness 4- Sees himself a a tactical/ planning master. That and his magic makes him quite knowledgeable
Caring -3 He does help ponies in need especially if they are mares in distress
Friendship -1 His flirtatious attitude can become quite an annoyance to some ponies

cutie mark - A blank white card surrounded by two saturn rings represents his magic which involves casting magic on cards to perform spells.
+1 for card based magic

Ray Jay ((RayJ))
Gumption-1- Rarely relies on any physical strength at all
Quickness-3 He can run fairly well but usually carries himself to places faster via his magic
Excitement-2
Smartness-5 Extremely intelligent and has plenty of book smarts. His levitation magic is top notch. He reads and learns from other ponies all day long.
Caring-3 He seems himself as a problem solver and an advice giver. He gives advice to ponies that need it whenever possible.
Friendship-1 He's pretty serious and tends to think highly of himself which tends to alienate him from certain ponies.

Cutie Mark- A transparent cube grid with a light blue tint. represents calculating mathematical ability and his use of magic for constructing and forming purposes..
+1 for types of levitation and Barrier forms of magic

Jentra
Gumption 2 Doesn't rely on his strength really
Quickness2
Excitement 3 He's quite a joker and sings and plays keyboard
Smartness 5 He's a real Whiz kid
Caring 2
Friendship 1

Cutie Mar- Still pending
+1 For using his magic when building/fixing machinery...

Arc Prism
Gumption 2 He isn't really strong seeing as he is quite young
Quickness 4 He can move surprisingly fast
Excitement 5 We have a real joker in our hooves
Smartness 1 He's very silly and is quite naive
Caring 2 Very irresponsible
Friendship 1

Cutie mark The primary colours of red/blue and yellow orbs surrounded by a silver chain ring
+1 Artistic talent ((for now...))

Mac Chrome ((Machrome))
Gumption 4 strong for a pegasus
Quickness 2 slow for a pegasus
Excitement 2 usually serious and mature. Sometimes quiet
Smartness 3 He's sort of knowledgeable
Caring 3 He like a guardian to some ponies..giving advice and putting them in the right direction
Friendship 1

Cutie mark - Pending
Re roll for use of strength ((Lifting)) while flying..

Turbo
Gumption: -2 Not very strong he kinda struggles with very heavy loads but he ain't weak
Quickness: - 4 He is very speedy and loves racing around town
Excitement: -3 He is very upbeat and mischievous
Smartness: -3 He pretty smart for his age be able to open up a shop with some help and he fixes toys/ gadgets or anything he can find
Caring: - 2 His many escapades might have some minor consequences for others..
Friendship:1 - New in town

Blank Flank
Last edited by DblSpark on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
DblSpark

Postby Greenling » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:16 pm

zeeth wrote:
Greenling wrote:Casserole

I'd presume that the "average" stat level for ponies is 2. So a 1 is weak, while a 2 is "basically functional". If Casserole has very little empathy, perhaps its Caring is a 1 or even a 0, since all it's really looking for is a good meal. If Greenling weren't around to keep it from devouring ponies, this would make a good monster or antagonist instead.

By pony standards. Plants would be more neutral? Probably. Casserole doesn't actively attack ponies unless they are perceived as a threat.
Greenling

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:37 pm

zeeth wrote:I suppose I'm okay with this stats system. However, I think these rules need some editing and improvement, it looks like they were scanned using OCR. They're also missing occasional phrases, as well as structural tags like the occasional carriage return. I'd love to volunteer, since I design games and game systems as a hobby, but I'd want to rebuild this thing from the ground up. I've seen some stats elements I'd love to bring in, but I'd also want to keep the simplicity if at all possible. We don't need another complex system if we can help it.

I can see your points, and in an actual tabletop RPG situation I'd agree that more needs to be done with the system.

But for our purposes, it's no more complicated than it needs to be. It's only meant as something to balance and enhance the chat RP during event scenarios (like the Glooze), not necessarily to be a full-featured RPG.

It serves the purpose of being extremely rules light and quick to implement in the fly in chat. If we tried to add a lot more features and/or rules, it would bog down the chat when we tried to use it.
Skyblaze

Postby Sandy_Rivers » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm gonna get this out of the way before I forget about it.

Sandy Rivers
Cartographer and general wilderness specialist

Gumption: 3 - Her physically active life-style and constant braving of the wilds makes Sandy resilient but not to any exceptional levels.

Quickness: 3 - Not one to rush anything, Sandy exercises patience but is known to bursts of speed and energy when the time calls for it.

Excitement: 2 - Her general eagerness is on-par with most other ponies.

Smartness: 4 - A specialist on Myths, Legends and Wilderness Lore, Sandy has a strong literary background in addition to years of experience in the field.

Caring: 1 - Generally in her own little world and ignorant of other pony's feelings, Sandy has a tendency to miss how other ponies feel and lacks the social skills to make anypony feel better about themselves.

Friendship: 2 - Having explored around Ponyville for some time now, she's beginning to become known around town and has developed some good friends.

Cutie Mark: A map with a dotted line leading to an X: Particularly skilled in the outdoors, Sandy receives a +1 bonus to all rolls relating to out-door survival.

The Horned Hydra
** Updated **
A Three-Headed Hydra living in the Everfree Forest. Due to the dramatically different nature of each head, they each have their own separate statistics.

Frederick

Gumption: 8 - Physically strong, assertive and stubborn, Fred excels in this area.

Quickness: 2

Excitement: 2

Smartness: 1 - Fred doesn't devote much time to thinking, living by the seat of his pants.

Caring: 3 - Never callous. Fred is always caring of other Ponies.

Friendship: 0

Theodore

Gumption: 5

Quickness: 3 - Despite his great size, Ted can still move and snap like a viper when agitated.

Excitement: 4 - What he lacks in intelligence, Ted makes up for by being sweet, friendly and eager.

Smartness: 1

Caring: 3 - Ted is empathetic towards others and hates to see anypony down.

Edward

Gumption: 5 - This reflects his emotional resolve and not his physical capacity.

Quickness: 1 - Caring less about physical abilities, Edward is slow and weak compared to the other heads.

Excitement: 2

Smartness: 4 - Edward prides himself on his literary capacity and while he may not understand much in current events, he has a surprisingly wide range of obscure and specialized knowledge.

Caring: 4 - Particularly empathetic and socially aware, Edward is eager and willing to help those in danger or in need however he can.

As a Hydra, Fred Ted and Ed do not have a cutie mark but gain a +3 to their Gumption due to their incredible size, effectively setting them at 11 points. However, their friendship starts at 0 as they are an outsider among ponies.
Last edited by Sandy_Rivers on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sandy_Rivers

Next

Return to Out of character