View topic - Kiteys Pathfinder Pony Game!

Kiteys Pathfinder Pony Game!

Out of character discussion for roleplay related stuff

Kiteys Pathfinder Pony Game!

Postby Crescendo Kite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:59 am

I've been talking about it for a while, and while it will be difficult to make it PG, I got far too many ideas thanks to what happened in the recent episodes and more.

Pony Types needed- All three!

No Mane 6(There is reason for this and I will show such.)

Kiteys House Rules!
Cantrips and such? Double their uses compared to what is shown.
Health is always maxed to speed up character creation(Though this means Monsters get max health too to make it more fun.)
I'm still a new DM to Path Finder so I'm not going to know all the rules.
We will be using the Free To Use Pathfinder site for characters.
Ponies will have their own unique rules.
Cutie Marks! If your character has one, they will have a unique skill or skill bonus that puts them above the others in it's use.
Blank Flanks! Just because a character has a Cutie Mark doesn't mean they got it all. A Blank Flank could end up saving everypony because they have areas of interest the others don't.

Magic Items- Most Magic Items act like artificer Infusions. They are charged in moonlight or sunlight however.

Learning Spells- A Unicorn that takes a non spellcasting class may still learn spells because of their deep inherent nature with magic. They act like they are 1/2 of their level for what spells they can learn however.

Bit Bags- These are unique magic items in that they hold all bits for all ponies, no matter how much or how much they weigh- We don't need a 20 pony caravan for all the money one would actually need for all the bits they can get.

Times- Whenever I'm on and anypony else is that wants in.

Since I do want to keep some spirit of Ponies in this- Killing another is a very terrible crime. You are able to do it in my game. It's better to try and save the creature affected.
Crescendo Kite

Re: Kiteys Pathfinder Pony Game!

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:04 am

Where and when will you be running this?

And have you seen these?

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?569 ... hell-Paizo

:twilightsmile:
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
Skyblaze

Postby Crescendo Kite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:11 am

I was thinking here in Fillydelphia in the Game room, and the when? Matters when everypony has the time.
Crescendo Kite

Postby Tek Croon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:52 am

Oh, I'm so there!
Tek Croon

Postby Lightning Flicker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:45 am

I have no idea what I am signing up for, but I will never turn down a game of stuff.
Lightning Flicker

Postby Feather_Quill » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:48 am

Feather Quill, reporting for duty.
Feather_Quill

Postby Armads » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:49 am

I don't know jack about pathfinder... but i'm in. From what little I've read thus far, it sounds a lot like D&D 3.5, and i'm happy for that.

However you can find everything you've ever wanted to know about Pathfinder here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

I'll decide what I want to play once I have a feel for what others are playing. I'm better at rounding out a good party. I assume with will be a good or neutral aligned campaign, so even though I play very deliciously evil characters more often than not, i'll save that for later.
Armads

Postby Kari Lightsworn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Oh my, role playing with rules? What is this horrible beast you suggest?! ...Honestly, I've only role played with real rules like that once or twice, and not for very long. But, eh, what the hay? New things are always fun to try. Besides, maybe it can break my battle losing streak if I'm not the one deciding myself what hits me, huh?
Kari Lightsworn

Postby Crescendo Kite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:20 pm

How true, how true and wow..I think I have 6 ponies! Skyblaze, Tek, Lightning, Quill, Armads and you Kari. My my, sounds like it works!
Yes yes, rules. Where the D20 is king or Queen or..Princess.. Heh!
Ponies, take a look at the link Armads has given us! Pick a class and remember which pony you want!
Crescendo Kite

Postby Obsidian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:34 pm

I would reccomend the Pathfinder PRD. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/
It's the official site by Paizo, and can be considered the official material beyond and including the Core Rules.

Do you want new characters or should we adapt ones we already have?

Also, I'm working on using the Race Creation playtest rules to make ponies if you don't like the ones in the link Skyblaze provided.

I don't know what artificer infusions are, how do they work?

Cantrips and Orisons (aka 0 level spells) are already unlimited use per day. Spontaneous spellcasters are limited to the ones they know, prepared spellcasters can prepare a set number each day, but still get unlimited casts out of them.

Unicorn spells might be funky to do like that. There are only 6 classes that flat out don't get spells (Barbarian, Cavalier, Fighter, Gunslinger, Monk, Rogue. And a few archetypes for Paladin and Ranger give up spells. And Alchemists technically aren't casters, but they pretty much are) And what happens if they multiclass into or out of a casting class?

Cutie Marks might be easiest explained as a bonus feat or trait.

How are we generating stats? I like 20 point buy. Though if we roll for it, I suggest making each player's set public, and then we vote on which set to use as our array. That way you don't end up with massive stat discrepancies.

If we're starting at level 1, I'd like to suggest the Pathfinder Society rule of every character gets 150gp for gear.

Bit bags - basically a very small bag of holding that only works for money? I like it.

How will we be doing XP? I kinda like the idea of everypony just leveling when the story calls for it.

@ Armads - Pathfinder takes what everypony likes about 3.5 and streamlines it. It balances out the classes better, and a lot of the rules are simplified/clarified/streamlined.

And count me in of course!
Obsidian

Postby Armads » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:44 pm

That's really my biggest issue Obsidian; the classes aren't supposed to be balanced. Balance doesn't make things better all the time.

As for stat generation, I find the best way is to roll 4d6 and take the three highest. That'll give you an average of 12-13. I really hate point allocation and arrays; they're far too complicated and when generating a character it's best to simplify things as much as possible. As a general rule thought if the average modifier of a character is +0 or lower that characters should be re-rolled.

Personally I see no reason to really go into cutie-marks and the like. Instead, give just give a character bonus ranks in any one skill, or add another skill that you're not proficient in.

I wouldn't worry about multi-classing. Mostly because if you're not a unicorn, It's doubtful that you'll be dealing with spells anyway. But if you need an explanation, there are always magic artifacts, spiritual awakenings, and the like the explain it. It's magic; you don't have to explain it.

Honestly I see no reason to give races new stats and abilities. Unicorns = Elves or Gnomes, Earth Ponies = Dwarves or Half-Orcs, and Pegisi = Humans or Half-Elves. No more additions needed.
Armads

Postby Skyblaze » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:52 pm

If I had more time, you could count me in.

My time here is limited enough as it is, though. :pinkiesad:
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
Skyblaze

Postby Obsidian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:54 pm

I don't mind rolling, but I think everypony should get to use the best set, instead of having one guy with nothing less than a 14 next to the character whose max is a 13 before racials.
Obsidian

Postby Crescendo Kite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Ahh, if that PRD is full official, then we should use it.
We may adapt ones we already have and honestly, we can adapt the P&P stats to help out.
Though I may just say roll it and limits on what ponies have for highest stat being 1 18, 1 17-16 and otherwise.
You won't have to worry about Gear Money at the start.
Leveling up when the story calls for it will basically be what works.
I forgot that they have unlimited casts of just the chosen spells. Too used to 3.5 D&D.

They get to add that level to their 1/2 as far as Unicorns are concerned. If they go out of it, they still count the 1/2 level.

Gaining Spells- That's actually not going to be that easy since you have to spend a day studying the spell to be able to cast it if you aren't a casting class.

Pegasi/Earth Pony Casters- Yes, you can do magic.

Artificer Infusions work as such- As the day starts or before battle, you put magic into an item that lasts up to a certain amount of time. A before battle one can be put in 1 minute before hand and last 10 minutes. The infusions are streamlined because of stress of course on the caster.

That's the easiest way to explain it for Cutie Marks, but they are better than feats or traits.

We will just call them what they are- Cutie Mark Talent.

Stats- If I feel your under powered, I will say to reroll a stat or two honestly.
Crescendo Kite

Postby Armads » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Again, I see no problem with characters who are different. That is the point. After all, it's not meant to be fair. Rolling insures that things are different. Point allocation really comes down to different builds; that's both boring and unrealistic. I've rolled characters who had nothing better than a +1 in a game.

Even so, if the max that character had was +1, that means that either the rest of his rolls were equal to that, or below that. If that is the case, then the average would be below +0, and he would reroll.

The average is still going to be 13-14 regardless of whether you allocate points or roll. The only real difference is that one is more random, and prevents intentional "min-maxing" or "basket weaving." Sure there are times when a character is really lucky and rolls three 18's on a character. But that's a minority and most characters have at least one or two dump stats.

However...

I like to implement the rule that you re-roll all 1's. I've seen people roll 4 1's before and have a stat of 3. Granted this makes characters have rather high ability scores; but they're heroes and the challenges are always increased to compensate. That's just something I do, it really doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned we could just leave it up to the players as to how they generate stats.
Armads

Postby Obsidian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:15 pm

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on stat generation.
Obsidian

Postby Lightning Flicker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Oh, jeez. I have no idea what any of you are talking about, but I love all the ideas and think we should take them all into effect.
Lightning Flicker

Postby Crescendo Kite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:45 pm

If you roll all 1s with Fillydelphias system, I'll laugh and then make you reroll, yes.
Ponies, I decide the stat rolling system. I'm the GM for this, yes?

Unless I see something better, yes we will be using the Ponyfinder stats shown.
Except that the fingers thing will only incur a -4 penalty, not 10.
Crescendo Kite

Postby Apple Jack » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:58 pm

I'd like to get in on this please! I'll, just figure it out soon.
Apple Jack

Postby Crescendo Kite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Looks like we have a few experienced players and a few new ones. That's fine with me! This is about pony though!
Crescendo Kite

Postby no space » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:36 pm

You can definitely count me in, if there's still room.
no space

Postby Crescendo Kite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Now we just need to coordinate times or make it a 2 group game.
Crescendo Kite

Postby Obsidian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:46 pm

I can do Tues, Wed, Thur, or Sat nights.
Obsidian

Postby Kari Lightsworn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm pretty much free anytime, though on Christmas Eve I'll be leaving for my grandparent's place, and I have no idea if I'll have internet there.
Kari Lightsworn

Postby no space » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:07 pm

I can get free just about any day/time, so don't worry about me.
no space

Next

Return to Out of character