View topic - Roleplay guideline modification

Roleplay guideline modification

Out of character discussion for roleplay related stuff

Roleplay guideline modification

Postby Mayday » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 pm

This is Skyblaze's suggestion from our community meeting

We will set some basic guideline beyond PG, no gore and sex, and no lethal force.

Current purposal: We have this already, we should edit, change, modifies it, and add it to the rule in a more clear manner.

If you have something you want to add to our Roleplay guideline, please add it here so we can discuss!
Mayday
Administrator

Re: Roleplay guideline modification

Postby Barbarella » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 am

Very disappointed this was never replied to.

Apologies to Mayday.

I know the Guidelines were eventually altered after this was posted, but a discussion on them as it stands is needed for current machinations.

So post, people, or I will find you.
Barbarella

Postby aspirations » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:25 pm

I just think it needs to be super duper clear that anything out of the ordinary about your pony– be it physical characteristics, items, a part of their past, or certain talents –needs to be asked about first. I feel like a lot of people either ignore and get away with it or just plain ol' don't see the rule because it's a little buried.
Love thy enemy-- it drives them nuts.
aspirations

Postby Barbarella » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:38 pm

True that.
While I would like to minimize the hassle of making a character and getting them in play, most issues seem to get addressed only after they've already been put to IC for, sometimes days, of RP.
Having to retcon or go back on stuff is something I really want to avoid having people do, but I also want to avoid character applications or endless approval processes.
Everything in moderation, etc.
Barbarella

Postby Shinula » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm not sure if this should be a rule or guideline or what but I want to have a very clear outline of how one's talent/cutie mark is important to what a pony is capable of doing. Not just in terms of magic like I've outlined in the magic discussion, but also for non-unicorns.
Shinula
Celestia

Postby Barbarella » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Not sure if it should be pointed out (guidelines-wise) but something about Blank Flanks being...not that special?
I dunno, they just show up waaaaay a lot a lot.
There's no reason for them to be disallowed or monitored, but how the "condition" is used is kind of lazy most of the time.
I dunno!

Cutie Marks are something to touch on though, they can be abstract to literal, but they shouldn't actually *give* any super-special abilities.
Like: "X's cutie mark is a hurricane! So he can make hurricanes by flapping his wings!"
Barbarella

Postby Shinula » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:25 am

Adult blank flanks are generally not accepted and usually the case they exist is because the player has not bothered to think of a talent/cutie mark which, really is just lazy.
And yes as I said not just for unicorns. I don't think we should disallow powers as such, it's clear some of the Mane Cast have them like, Fluttershy's stare or Pinkie's sense, or Rainbow's Sonic Rainboom, BUT we should consider them in terms of their actual talents and cutie marks.
Shinula
Celestia

Postby Barbarella » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:06 am

Aside from Rainbow Dash, I personally consider those to be more personal quirks than exact talents.
Just fun little things they can do.
I can see the connection between them though, Fluttershy's stare helps with keeping the rowdy animals in line, and just so happens to be useful on foals too.
Pinkie sense could definitely help with parties.
Rainbow Dash and the Sonic Rainboom are much more....obvious, in relation.
Then you have Applejack being the patron Saint of Apples, and it all goes together!
Barbarella

Return to Out of character