View topic - King of the Ring!

King of the Ring!

Out of character discussion for roleplay related stuff

King of the Ring!

Postby Starbuck » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Mistico Santo is hosting the King of the Ring tournament, here in Ponyville! Here are the parameters.

There will be a ring, just to keep the fights from spilling out.

Ticket proceeds will go to charity.
Winner of the tournament will have significant cash prize donated to charity of choice.
Anypony can join, but no magic is allowed, this is a contest of physical strength and will, not magic, such as Obsidian's Fire and Kite's roaring, for example.

Anypony who wants to join, make a post or PM me with which character you wish to join, and the name or type of charity you'd like your prize donated to.

I'm hoping to start the tournament next Saturday or Sunday. If anypony has some scheduling problems or anything, let me know. When we have enough players, I'll make an announcement about how I wish the fights to play out.

Thank you very much!

Current Roster
Mistico_Santo
Los_Tiburon
Hemlock
Sali
Obsidian
Moon_Star
The_Fiddler
KindShadow
SwiftBolt
Storm_Watch
Sarge
Thunderball
Zane
Powder
Last edited by Starbuck on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Starbuck

Re: King of the Ring!

Postby Obsidian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:24 pm

If magic and cutie mark special abilities aren't allowed, then wings shouldn't be either.
Obsidian

Postby Barbarella » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm

No magic, no wings, hooves only, Sweet Apple Acres.

I like the sound of that :pinkiehappy:
Barbarella

Postby Kind Shadow » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Assuming this is allowed on the site... I'll join in with Kind. He'll be donating his winnings to support the victims of wild animal attacks.

My character's fighting style uses skill over brute strength, and to distinguish that style from other's, I have him use quickness rather than gumption, when I need to roll for his attacks and when defending.

If this is not aloud in the tournament, then I'm not in.

Below are some examples of how I figure any dice rolls could be explained.

Defending

Opponent's Gumption vs Kind's Quickness: Kind attempts to react to the enemy's attack with his martial arts, by attempting to dodge, block, or parry blows... Usually using some combination of several of those options.

Opponent's roll > Kind's roll: [Deals low damage] Kind failed to dodge in time, and the attack grazed him. [Deals mid to high damage] There was no time to dodge, but Kind turns with the blow, moving with it in an attempt to waste some of his opponent's momentum. [High Damage] The attack lands clean... Probably knocking out in one shot?

The rest, I think would be obvious... I only explained that scenario because it might seem questionable to some how a failed dodge might still reduce the damage of an attack that lands.

I guess some might question how quickness translates in attack too... So in that case...

Kind's Quickness > Opponent's Gumption: Kind lands a series of blows, rather than one large hit. His attacks are aimed at weak points or are simply fast enough to strike around a person's guard. Something along those lines.

Again, if it's not aloud, I'll sit this one out.

This week it's Sunday that's busy. Next week who knows.
Kind Shadow

Postby Sali » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09 pm

I think that it should be freeform, or at least that the rolls should be private and agreed upon by both parties. But that's up to Mistico. Either way, I can't wait. Can we enter more than one character, though?

After all, a truly good RPer shouldn't have to rely on the rolls. It's all about making a good show, after all, isn't it?

(Also, Kind, the word is "allowed" not "aloud" XD)
Sali
Twilight Sparkle

Postby Starbuck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Exactly, Sali. The name of the game is, besides guessing on a d2 roll to decide who wins, for example

Mistico: 1

Thunderball: 2

DiceRoll: 1

Winner: Mistico!

The main objective is to put on a good show and have fun with it. I've already run it by the mayor (aka: Mayday) so I'm pretty sure it's ok. Also we have our first two contestants by PM: Obsidian and Moon_Star!

Several others have already agreed, and yes Sali, I'll allow multiples.
Starbuck

Postby Sali » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 pm

I'd like to enter Sali and Hemlock, if that'd be alright. ^_^
Sali
Twilight Sparkle

Postby Kind Shadow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 pm

That works fine for me. If we can enter multiple characters, I'd like to enter both KindShadow and SilentShadow.

Kind's charity is still for victims of wild animal attacks and their families.

Silent's is also comleteing for the same charity.
Kind Shadow

Postby Dragonshy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:11 pm

I'd like to enter Ryu, but I don't know if I'll be around on saturday at that time. As for a charity, Ryu would donate the prize to the town so it has the cash to rebuild and stuff.
Dragonshy

Postby Starbuck » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 pm

In order to be safe, and to allow some other people to get ready, since some will be indisposed tomorrow, I am delaying the King of the Ring until next week, most likely Sunday. I would like to know when everypony is available, so we can avoid this.
Starbuck

Postby Apple Jack » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:38 pm

This Saturday would have been perfect for me. But since this it's being moved, I'll try to make sure I can get Sunday available for me. I do not know though if I can, though, I'll do my best.
Apple Jack

Postby Starbuck » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Ok, since I've gotten a few messages since this delay, I want everypony to let me know if I should just keep the date tomorrow, or delay it in hopes of the few who can't make it get in?
Starbuck

Postby Kind Shadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm usually busy weekends... But not crazy busy.
Kind Shadow

Postby Variety » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Don't forget Powder. :D
Variety

Postby Obsidian » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Tomorrow I'm actually free!
Obsidian

Postby Kind Shadow » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:08 pm

Actually, let me withdraw SilentShadow's entry from the competition. Just to have him free and keep things fair.

KindShadow still in, SilentShadow out.
Kind Shadow

Postby Starbuck » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:59 am

Ok, so after much deliberation, I've decided to keep the King of the Ring tomorrow, but with one little change.

The brackets will be decided by rolling a dice. Anypony without the means to be present, but still wanting to participate will be pushed to the bottom brackets immediately. Anypony who is matched with an absent pony will have their match delayed until next week. It stings, but is necessary, since we have like, 14 ponies already, and I think I forgot at least one or two.
Starbuck

Postby Starbuck » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Ok! Sorry for the double post, but most of round one is completed! There's still a few people who haven't gone yet, but here's the bracket so far.

Swift_Bolt
Storm_Watch
Obsidian
Mistico_Santo

People who have not fought include Powder, Zane, Sarge, KindShadow, and Los_Tiburon. When they can, I'd like these ponies to contact me and let me know if and when they can participate. So be sure and get those PUBs or PMs to me as soon as possible!
Starbuck

Postby Obsidian » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Starbuck wrote:Swift_Bolt defeated Hemlock
Storm_Watch defeated KiteCres by DQ
Obsidian defeated Moon_Star
Mistico_Santo defeated Sali

Thunderball dropped from the tournament

fixed that for ya
Obsidian

Postby Kind Shadow » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Ah... Sorry, I was out... And thought it was still next week. What's the time and date for next week?
Kind Shadow

Postby Starbuck » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:16 pm

It's alright Kind. All those who weren't about to have their match can still participate next week. Zane, Kind, Powder, The_Fiddler, Sarge, and Los_Tiburon have not fought yet.

The time will be 11:00 Server time, Saturday. If you wish to have your match sooner, tell me who you're facing and we'll meet in the other room.
Starbuck

Postby Kind Shadow » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Sorry to be a pain. I will try and make on Saturday if I can.

If Saturday is busy for anypony else, I am interested in trying to meet sooner.
Kind Shadow

Return to Out of character