View topic - Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Everything else pony related goes here

Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Postby Masterweaver » Mon May 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Well, I saw the recent attempt at making an MLP FIM TCG on the Equestria Daily blog and my response was... rather meh. So I decided to make one of my own! Haven't actually designed any cards yet, but I have made the rules. Comments?

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: Trading Card Game

OBJECTIVE:
To obtain the most FRIEND POINTS by the end of the game.

YOU WILL NEED:
A deck of My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic trading cards, with at least thirty cards per player.
A method for players to keep track of their Friend Points.

SET UP:
Shuffle the deck. Each player draws from the deck until they obtain a FRIEND card; they then place it in front of them, making it their PLAYER CHARACTER. Shuffle the other drawn cards back into the deck and then deal five cards to each player. Play begins in whatever order the players agree on.

ON YOUR TURN:
On a player's turn, they may do the following:
1. Draw a card to full hand size
2. Play up to as many cards as they have player characters
3. Relocate in play friend cards OR defeat threat cards
4. Purchase loyalty of a Friend
While they can choose to skip over any option, the player cannot choose to do an action out of the given order or to repeat an option.

DRAWING CARDS
If a player's hand has less then six cards on their turn, they are allowed to draw until their hand has six cards.

PLAYING CARDS
A player may, on their turn, play an amount of cards equal to their player characters. They may only play cards if they have player characters associated with all the ELEMENTS OF HARMONY on the card.
1. Location cards may be played to the CENTRAL GRID, shared amongst all players.
2. Friend cards may be played onto Location cards, if the Location is not at capacity and does not have a threat card on it.
3. Threat cards may be played at any location.
4. Favor cards may be played on any friend, including those loyal to another player.

CARD TYPES
1. LOCATION cards represent the various areas in Equestria. Every Location has an associated FRIEND CAPACITY, THREAT MULTIPLIER, and FAVOR MULTIPLIER. Each Location is also associated with one or more of the ELEMENTS OF HARMONY.
2. FRIEND cards represent the various people a player character can befriend. Every Friend has an associated MOVEMENT VALUE, LOYALTY VALUE, and FRIEND POINT MULTIPLIER. Each Friend is also associated with one or more of the ELEMENTS OF HARMONY.
3. THREAT cards represent outside dangers. Every Threat has a TURN LIMIT, DANGER VALUE, and FRIEND POINT VALUE. Each Threat is also associated with one or more of the ELEMENTS OF HARMONY.
4. FAVOR cards represent the various favors one can do for a friend. Every Favor has an associated FRIEND POINT VALUE. Each Favor is also associated with one or more of the ELEMENTS OF HARMONY.
Certain cards will also have EFFECTS, which change how they interact with other cards in specific situations.

DOING FAVORS
By playing a favor card on any FRIEND, a player earns an amount of FRIEND POINTS equal to the favor's point value times the friend's point multiplier times the associated LOCATION'S favor point multiplier. It is possible to play favors on the PLAYER CHARACTERS of other players, which results in both you and the other player receiving friend points equal to the favor's point value times the player character's point multiplier times ten. Favor cards are discarded immediately after being played.

RELOCATING FRIENDS
Moving a friend in play from one location to another is a strategic maneuver which might be done for any reason. A player may may move a friend by designating one of their player characters as a GUIDE, turning them sideways for this turn and paying the friend's movement value in friend points. A player cannot use a player character that has already been designated a GUIDE or HERO this turn, and the friend being moved must not begin or end the move in a location with a THREAT.

ENDING THREATS
To end a threat, a player designates one of their player characters a HERO and turn them sideways for the rest of the turn. They then discard an amount of cards from their hands equal to the threat's DANGER VALUE divided by the player character's FRIEND POINT MULTIPLIER. For every FRIEND at the LOCATION of the THREAT, the player gains friend points equal to the threat's friend point value times that friend's friend point multiplier times the location's threat multiplier. Discard a threat after it has been ended. A player cannot use a character that has already been declared a GUIDE or a HERO that turn. THREATS ARE AUTOMATICALLY DISCARDED IF A NUMBER OF TURNS EQUAL TO THEIR TURN LIMIT HAVE PASSED.

PURCHASING LOYALTY
To purchase a FRIEND'S loyalty, a player must spend an amount of FRIEND POINTS equal to that friend's LOYALTY VALUE. Once a friend is loyal, they are immediately moved in front of the player and become a PLAYER CHARACTER for that player. No player may have more then six PLAYER CHARACTERS.

DISCARDING FRIENDS
In the unusual event that a player view one of their PLAYE CHARACTERS as unworthy, they may choose not to take any action on that turn and instead consign that FRIEND to the discard pile.

ENDING THE GAME
When there are no more cards in the deck, every player gets two more turns before the game is declared finished. Each player then takes their current FRIEND POINT score, multiplies it by all their PLAYER CHARACTER'S FRIEND POINT MULTIPLIER, and the one with the most friend points wins. The winner is then forced to buy ice cream for the other players.
Last edited by Mayday on Mon May 23, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing all cap from topic
Masterweaver

Re: Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Postby Masterweaver » Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 am

Hey guys, guess what? I made a "build-a-card" set for you! There's a Friend Card, Favor Card, Location Card, and Threat Card, all unmarked black-and-white. There are also some Harmony Icons for you, and FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE, my very first attempt to design a card for this game:
Very rough, should probably change the quote and consider adding some background color... OH! I haven't designed the card backs yet, I figured I'd host a little competition for that here. Image size is 145 by 215 pixels, donate your ideas to this thread and we'll have a vote later.
Last edited by Masterweaver on Tue May 24, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Masterweaver

Postby Sleepy Mix » Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 am

Cool! I might be competing then.
Sleepy Mix

Postby FlameViperz » Tue May 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Don't make it too complicated like Duel masters or I'll take a dump on your sweet game and your non existant hamster and also your mother :twisted:
FlameViperz

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 am

I appreciate the sentiment, but you should probably tone down the threat a bit. This is MLP FIM you know, there are kids here.

On another note, I would like to qualify that while threats can include monsters, they are not limited to such dangerous situations. For example:

Oh, also, anypony making cards feel free to post them here.
Masterweaver

Postby Silly Filly » Wed May 25, 2011 6:17 am

My entry for designing the back of the cards. I wanted to do something simple, so have the flag of Equestria.
Silly Filly

Postby locodude0001 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:49 am

Hey. Yes, i signed up just for this. I'm a sucker for card games.

I had an idea for the card game. It might not make sense, but here goes.

There should be a limit to how high the points can go. For the sake of this example, i'll say 200. Let's say you reach this limit. What happens? Your point score starts over. It might give a little more incentive to use favor cards on opponents,trying to drive their points over the limit. And then when the game is over, and everything is multiplied, there is no limit at the end. Then anypony could win depending on the multiplier (Unless you end up on 0).

It's just that using favor cards on opponents doesn't seem to have much benefit, because you both gain the same amount of points from it. So i came up with this. I mean, yes, you could use the points to purchase loyalty and other things, but so can your opponent.

This also might stop point hoarding : P

You might not use it, just an idea. Feel free to say no if you really don't like the idea.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, what font are you using to make the cards? I might try a hoof at one.
locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Looping points actually sound like a good idea! 200 too small though. Much too small. Let's say.... 1000. That's a decent number and, once you factor in threat multipliers, easier to reach--

Oh no wait. Once you get too close, you have no incentive to play anymore. For a game designed to emphasize FRIENDSHIP, that's kind of a bad design choice.

Hmmm.... going to have to think on this.
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Hmm ... i was thinking about that, too, actually. It almost made me not submit the message at all ... BUT, I figured it wouldn't hurt to suggest something.

Also, again, what font for the text did you use to make those cards? You didn't answer. : P

I mean, i'd hate to just jump in with some new cards and have be Times New Roman or something, and then they'd all be different and it just wouldn't fit.

ALSO: Sorry to keep adding some messages to these, but what's the playing field supposed to look like?
locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Marker Felt Wide, ranging from nine point to twelve point. As for the playing field, go look at your table. That's what it looks like!

I would probably suspect that Friend and Threat cards are next to Location cards when in play though, and player characters arranged in front of players.
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:47 pm

OH LOOK, I MADE A CARD.

Sorry, but before you view it, i have something to type. I KNOW this is supposed to be about friendship. But i couldn't help myself.

locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 25, 2011 3:00 pm

I was planning to do her eventually anyway. Although the effect is a tad... hard for me to comprehend. Permanently affecting another card would be hard for players to record ingame... what if Trixie reduced the multiplier of all Friends at the same Location by 1?

Also, since she has a lower multiplier, I'd suggest giving her another element. Loyalty maybe, she didn't run when the Ursa came to town...
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Masterweaver wrote:I was planning to do her eventually anyway. Although the effect is a tad... hard for me to comprehend. Permanently affecting another card would be hard for players to record ingame... what if Trixie reduced the multiplier of all Friends at the same Location by 1?

Also, since she has a lower multiplier, I'd suggest giving her another element. Loyalty maybe, she didn't run when the Ursa came to town...

Fair enough. I'll make the changes right away.

Last edited by locodude0001 on Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
locodude0001

Postby Whiteeyes » Wed May 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Hmmm, the x10 multiplier for the 'do it for others' does raise an interesting possibility though. Let's look at this hypothetical situation.

Me: 2000 pts
Player A: 3200 pts
Player B: 1300 pts

I have Trixie with a x1FP at a x2 FP location. Bleh. Player B on the other hand has a character with a x5 FP, I play a 40 pt favor on Twilight Sparkle. Me and Player B get (40x5x10)=2000 pts. The scores now stand at

Me = 4000 pts
Player A = 3200 pts
Player B = 3300 pts.

The end result is that I'm in the lead and Player B is now further in the running, but Player A loses his lead. And now Player B might be inclined to return the favor at a later time.
This signature needs to be about 20% more Mr. Bunny.

Countdown to the Zombie Appocalypse: 87 DAYS
The first time you see this, copy it in your signature and subtract one.
Whiteeyes

Postby locodude0001 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Whiteeyes wrote:Hmmm, the x10 multiplier for the 'do it for others' does raise an interesting possibility though. Let's look at this hypothetical situation.

Me: 2000 pts
Player A: 3200 pts
Player B: 1300 pts

I have Trixie with a x1FP at a x2 FP location. Bleh. Player B on the other hand has a character with a x5 FP, I play a 40 pt favor on Twilight Sparkle. Me and Player B get (40x5x10)=2000 pts. The scores now stand at

Me = 4000 pts
Player A = 3200 pts
Player B = 3300 pts.

The end result is that I'm in the lead and Player B is now further in the running, but Player A loses his lead. And now Player B might be inclined to return the favor at a later time.

I interpret rules from a 2 player perspective. It wouldn't be much fun in 2 player to pull this maneuver and still be in practically the same position you were in before.

Though i understand where you're coming from. When you put it like that, it really is good. But in 2 player, it isn't really beneficial.
locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Again: The game encourages FRIENDSHIP. Friendly friendness friendieriffic friends!

Also, while I like the new card mechanically... you need to rearrange the position of the words a tad. It gets a little garbled. Can you center them?
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Masterweaver wrote:Again: The game encourages FRIENDSHIP. Friendly friendness friendieriffic friends!

Also, while I like the new card mechanically... you need to rearrange the position of the words a tad. It gets a little garbled. Can you center them?

Of course, i'll get on it.

Also, I made a Pinkie Pie card.
locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 25, 2011 5:19 pm

The wording on Pinkie is a tad confusing, as it could be related to the card itself and cause recursive chepening. How about: "If Pinkie Pie is a Player Character, the Player reduces all Loyalty purchase by 50 points."
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Masterweaver wrote:The wording on Pinkie is a tad confusing, as it could be related to the card itself and cause recursive chepening. How about: "If Pinkie Pie is a Player Character, the Player reduces all Loyalty purchase by 50 points."

Sorry, me no can use words good. : P

locodude0001

Postby Whiteeyes » Wed May 25, 2011 5:34 pm

I have no art programs besides paint. Would that even be slightly useful in this situation? Or is it too low grade?

Whiteeyes

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Well, the "kit" basically consists of pixel art, resized screencaps, and sdding text. If Paint can do all that...
Masterweaver

Postby Whiteeyes » Wed May 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Doesn't have the text style so yeah. It can do the picture editing, but still.

Oh, I forgot to ask, what is the point of the Elements of Harmony in this game?

Whiteeyes

Postby locodude0001 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Masterweaver wrote:Well, the "kit" basically consists of pixel art, resized screencaps, and sdding text. If Paint can do all that...

I've been using Paint this whole time. I'm used to spriting stuff.

ALSO:

Fluttershy card!

Sorry if I'm taking these before you guys can. Of course, i suppose you could have different cards with the same name but different stats/effects like the Zatch Bell card game. (Assuming mine are accepted intot he bunch. : P)

Whiteeyes wrote:Doesn't have the text style so yeah. It can do the picture editing, but still.

Oh, I forgot to ask, what is the point of the Elements of Harmony in this game?

I use Microsoft Word to do all the text and then copy/paste it into Paint.

I assume the elements are for certain card effects. Like certain favors can only be used on certain elements. This is my thought,though. I could be and probably am wrong.
locodude0001

Postby Whiteeyes » Wed May 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Ah, C&P from word, that's clever.

Whiteeyes

Postby Masterweaver » Wed May 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Negative, Elements are used ONLY to limit what kind of cards you can play. Therefore, having more player characters widens your set of options; a bigger posse if you will.

Also... While I can accept your "Trixie" and "Pinkie" images, I feel Fluttershy isn't as "in your face" and should have a zoomed out image. And the stare... is... honestly, I'm having the same problem with the Stare as with Trixie, there is no in-game method to record its use. So, turning this card down (sorry!).

This totally has nothing to do with the fact that I just finished my own Fluttershy card.
Masterweaver

Next

Return to Everypony else