View topic - Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Everything else pony related goes here

Re: Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Postby Masterweaver » Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 am

...interesting concept, but the wording's a bit vague. And honestly I'd prefer to avoid hybrids until we have a firm base.
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:38 am

Understandable.

So I made another, in lickety split. : P

I make these kinda fast because i'm just used to it. I've made a bunch of cards on my laptop before.

Now to add that quote to Applejack.
locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Fri May 27, 2011 11:40 am

Is that danger 0 or danger 8? Either is too low in my opinion. Parasprites... R SRIUS BISNIS.
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:50 am

Masterweaver wrote:Is that danger 0 or danger 8? Either is too low in my opinion. Parasprites... R SRIUS BISNIS.

Sorry, it says 6. ^^; i should probably increase my font size by 1 or 2, i guess it's different for whatever programs we use for text.

Too low, you say? Well, 6 is a full hand, and 30 cards are in a deck ... i don't want the player to discard, like, a whole third of his/her deck.

locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Fri May 27, 2011 11:59 am

Yes, but you divide by the multiplier, remember? Assuming an average of, oh, times three, a decent twelve seems nice. Also, FAVOR CARD!
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Masterweaver wrote:Yes, but you divide by the multiplier, remember? Assuming an average of, oh, times three, a decent twelve seems nice. Also, FAVOR CARD!

I ... did forget, actually. BRAIN FARTS!

Also, experimented with the slightly bigger font size. I don't like the effect name, but i don't really know Big Mac for anything else.

EDIT: ohai. I made a favor card.

EDIT EDIT: Needs moar Steven.

locodude0001

Postby Whiteeyes » Fri May 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Right, time to get to balancing. *cracks knuckles....* How did I do that with hooves.....anyway on to the job.

Big Mack's ability is broken. Either he is FREE (OP) or he costs 150 with two elements (OK, I was valuing Elements at around 100 each, so this is a bit better) a x3FP (Average) and 25 Move (Bad). So he's either fairly priced or he's OP. Yeah, the ability needs to change.

And now for threats. First a summery, as they are rather spread out.

Party Checklist - 3 Turns. Low cost to resolve (with a x5FP it's only 1 card), and it's resolve is very good when dealing with high-move cards. It's 5FP payoff is also rather good. It is solvable with Magic or Laughter.

Baked Bads - 2 Turns. Low cost to resolve (Danger 4), with a payoff of 3FP. It can be solved by Honesty and Laughter. It's ability is a minor inconvenience if it is failed to resolve. But otherwise unimportant.

Parasprite Swarm - 7 Turns. High cost (Danger 12), but the payoff is 10FP. It can be solved with Magic or Kindness. It's ability can destroy a prime location, so it needs to be taken care of.

OK, so one of the basics is that each can be solved by one of two elements. Good to keep in mind. The costs vs FP are in balance. Checklist has a POSITIVE effect if it is resolved, while the others have NEGATIVE if they are not. Looking at what we have so far, these seem rather balanced.
This signature needs to be about 20% more Mr. Bunny.

Countdown to the Zombie Appocalypse: 87 DAYS
The first time you see this, copy it in your signature and subtract one.
Whiteeyes

Postby Masterweaver » Fri May 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Actually, any pony can resolve a threat. The elements relate to when ponies can PLAY a threat. Threats coming from something negative about that element: Twilight and Pinkie could both CAUSE Party Checklist.

It seems counter-intuitive in a game about friendship, but think about it as a cry for help...
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Whiteeyes wrote:Big Mack's ability is broken. Either he is FREE (OP) or he costs 150 with two elements (OK, I was valuing Elements at around 100 each, so this is a bit better) a x3FP (Average) and 25 Move (Bad). So he's either fairly priced or he's OP. Yeah, the ability needs to change.

About that. Here's my mindset.

Obviously, the opponent won't say "yes". They want you to spend those points so they can win.

In the off-chance they do say yes, it's either because they're really nice, or they have something planned to pull them in the lead.

If you still say it's bad, i'll go ahead and think of something else.
locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Fri May 27, 2011 6:30 pm

You do know cards are played for free, yes?
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Masterweaver wrote:You do know cards are played for free, yes?

Wait .... what?

Then what's the whole "buying loyalty" thing?

Also:

First one isn't as much of a "favor", but i felt it needed to be made for some reason.
locodude0001

Postby Mayday » Fri May 27, 2011 7:02 pm

So do you guys need a card database system?
Mayday
Administrator

Postby Whiteeyes » Fri May 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Mayday wrote:So do you guys need a card database system?

That would be very helpful for cross-referencing this stuff yes.

Whiteeyes

Postby Masterweaver » Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 pm

You can buy the loyalty of Friends that are in play on Locations to turn them into Player Characters. Admittedly, the turn structure is such that you could conceivably play a Friend and then purchase their Loyalty on the same turn.
Masterweaver

Postby Mayday » Fri May 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Whiteeyes wrote:
Mayday wrote:So do you guys need a card database system?

That would be very helpful for cross-referencing this stuff yes.

Can you explains what kinda information does the card have? So far I see:

1. Title (card name?)
2. Element(s)
3.1 Friend points (or is there other points?)
3.2 Turn number, danger, FP?
4. Descriptions
5. Slogon
6. Picture

Is there something else beside that?
Mayday
Administrator

Postby Masterweaver » Sat May 28, 2011 4:46 am

There are four types of cards. Friend Cards, Location Cards, Threat Cards, and Favor Cards. Every card HAS TO BE APPROVED before going into the database.

FAVOR CARDS: Have only Friend Points as their info.
THREAT CARDS: Have a Turn Limit, Danger Value, and Friend Point Value.
FRIEND CARDS: Have a Movement Value, Loyalty Cost, and Friend Point Multiplier.
LOCATION CARDS: Have a Favor Multiplier, a Threat Multiplier, and a Friend Capacity.

Honestly, this is all written up in the very first post.
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:55 am

Well, i've officially gone crazy. This morning, I tried brushing my hair with magic while i was half asleep. I was crushed when i walked to the bathroom and saw in the mirror that my hair was a complete wreck.

Besides that, I changed the Big Mac card. I think this could work ....

This will be the only thing i do today. Busy weekend. 3 projects and my birthday, plus my parents expect me to clean my room. My room isn't that bad, but i REALLY need to work on the projects.
locodude0001

Postby Whiteeyes » Sat May 28, 2011 8:07 am

Well Happy Birthday! It's my mother's birthday, I got her The Kings Speech on DVD. Anyway, Favor time!

Dress Model - Improtant question, can Favor cards NOT target PCs? Loyalty and Generosity, 20 FP.

Apple Harvesting - Encourages multiple Favors in a turn. Honesty and Generosity. 10 FP but boosts later ones.

Mustache Repair - Lets you play another players Favor. Only 4 FP but lets you get the chance at more. Generosity only.

Returning the Tickets - A minor hand reset card. 10 FP. Loyalty and Magic.

More Tickets! - Lets you rebuild your hand for next turn. 10 FP Generosity and Magic.

OK, from these, I have established these baselines.
1. 10 FP is the baseline value.
2. Two Elements are common except for the more powerful cards.
3. Their ability provides an incentive to play them.

With that, Apple Harvesting, Returning the Tickets, and More Tickets! are all perfectly well balanced. Mustache Repair is a bit powerful with the ability to manipulate your opponent's hand, but it doesn't always work, has a low value, and is restricted to only Generosity. Believe it or not, this might be UNDER powered. Dress Model pays well and lets you draw a card and has two elements. Might be a bit overpowered.

Edit: For the new BigMac, drop the FP to 1 if they agree. That makes him high-move with a low FP, but free and with two elements, so it balances out. If they say no, you get the already balanced version I mentioned before.

Whiteeyes

Postby locodude0001 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:29 am

Whiteeyes wrote:Edit: For the new BigMac, drop the FP to 1 if they agree. That makes him high-move with a low FP, but free and with two elements, so it balances out. If they say no, you get the already balanced version I mentioned before.

LUNCHBREAK!

Gotcha.

Also, my birthday isn't until the 31st, but we're celebrating tomorrow. : P
Thanks for the early "Happy Birthday", anyway.
locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Sat May 28, 2011 9:30 am

Yes, Favor Cards can be played on Friends that are not Player Characters.

Incidentally, I still don't understand Big Mac's power. Is that a permanent reduction, or ONLY when loyalty is being purchased?

A critical assumption I have when making these cards is that, while primarily targeted at the periphery demographic of TCG fans, it is highly likely that the primary demographic of little girls will stumble across the game eventually. Given the notoriously short-term memory of said little girls, all the effects should be EASY TO REMEMBER. Since there's no way to "flip" Big Mac into positions A versus B, his one-off ability is something I don't think will work.

I see your point on Dress Model, though the image makes it clear this is a forced favor and therefore should count for more friend points. I think it's mildly overpowered, but not imbalanced; there will most likely be "underpowered" favors such as Mustache Repair.
Masterweaver

Postby Whiteeyes » Sat May 28, 2011 9:41 am

That's fine, all cards don't need to be equal, you can have some cards that are better than others. And OK I get how it works better. So yeah, less broken.

Whiteeyes

Postby locodude0001 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:48 am

Masterweaver wrote:Yes, Favor Cards can be played on Friends that are not Player Characters.

Incidentally, I still don't understand Big Mac's power. Is that a permanent reduction, or ONLY when loyalty is being purchased?

A critical assumption I have when making these cards is that, while primarily targeted at the periphery demographic of TCG fans, it is highly likely that the primary demographic of little girls will stumble across the game eventually. Given the notoriously short-term memory of said little girls, all the effects should be EASY TO REMEMBER. Since there's no way to "flip" Big Mac into positions A versus B, his one-off ability is something I don't think will work.

I see your point on Dress Model, though the image makes it clear this is a forced favor and therefore should count for more friend points. I think it's mildly overpowered, but not imbalanced; there will most likely be "underpowered" favors such as Mustache Repair.

Only when loyalty is being purchased.

Also, i think you're also missing the little girl demographic. Do you know how confusing this game is with just the math?

And now. I've done a good portion of one of my projects already.

WHAT'S THAT? YOU ASKED FOR A CELESTIA CARD? ... no one asked? .... oh .... too bad, i made one anyway.

I have two versions of this card. The first is if we're using a 1000 point looping system. Which you never commented on, i don't think, when I changed the idea up a bit. Instead of just looping and it not counting for anything, what if you get a counter that acts as 1000 points, but you can't spend the counters?
Then the second version is if there's no real limit.

locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Sat May 28, 2011 9:59 am

Yeeeeeeeah. I can't really agree with Jokes. Maybe "Guard," no threats can be played at the same location?
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:04 am

Masterweaver wrote:Yeeeeeeeah. I can't really agree with Jokes. Maybe "Guard," no threats can be played at the same location?

Celestia's known for trolling, but alright. I'll completely change it.

CELESTIA TWO POINT OOOOOH!
locodude0001

Postby Mayday » Sat May 28, 2011 11:47 am

Masterweaver wrote:There are four types of cards. Friend Cards, Location Cards, Threat Cards, and Favor Cards. Every card HAS TO BE APPROVED before going into the database.

FAVOR CARDS: Have only Friend Points as their info.
THREAT CARDS: Have a Turn Limit, Danger Value, and Friend Point Value.
FRIEND CARDS: Have a Movement Value, Loyalty Cost, and Friend Point Multiplier.
LOCATION CARDS: Have a Favor Multiplier, a Threat Multiplier, and a Friend Capacity.

Honestly, this is all written up in the very first post.

Yes, but there are no summery and are not organized. Also it didn't really answer me anything. What is the description for each of those field? What value are they? Is it all numbers? or is there certain things like a list of text? Are there prefix for some of those field? Does each card have a slogan? What are those round thing on the top right corner of the card? What are the elements? I'm currently building the structure of the database but I will need these information a lot more organized. ^^;

This is what I have so far (there is also card name ontop that is cropped out of the screen but I have a feeling it need more organization. I don't really do this kinda thing half assed.
Mayday
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Everypony else