View topic - Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Everything else pony related goes here

Re: Weaver's Vaguely defined Trading Card Game!

Postby Masterweaver » Sat May 28, 2011 2:33 pm

...I'm not understanding the question here. Did you read all the rules? I think I made it all pretty clear.

Really, each individual card is made and then examined and tweaked. What we need is a repository for approved cards, not a new way to make them. The current method operates quite well.

((Celestia's move is way too expensive. As a ruler, she moves around a lot.))
Masterweaver

Postby Mayday » Sat May 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Masterweaver wrote:...I'm not understanding the question here. Did you read all the rules? I think I made it all pretty clear.

Really, each individual card is made and then examined and tweaked. What we need is a repository for approved cards, not a new way to make them. The current method operates quite well.

((Celestia's move is way too expensive. As a ruler, she moves around a lot.))

Just read each of those question and provide an answer to each one?

The lay out is just so you can enter the card in the database. Nothing more. But if this current method is operating well enough then I won't bother. It is easy for people to simply PM a picture to you. However, that would make no way to list and sort any of those, since they are just picture.
Mayday
Administrator

Postby Masterweaver » Sat May 28, 2011 3:04 pm

...Okay. Database entry requires:
Current Card Picture (A picture of the card as stands)
Card Name (Text Box)
Card Creator (Text Box)
Card Status (One of four Dropdown)
-Prototype
-Mechanically confirmed
-Aesthetically confirmed
-Approved
Card Type (One of four Dropdown)
-Friend
-Favor
Element(s) of the card (Six Checkmarks)
-Loyalty
-Laughter
-Magic
-Honesty
-Kindness
-Generosity
Stats and Effect (Larger text box)

EDIT: Juts for kicks, here's a card:
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:01 pm

Sooooo .... when are we going to see a location card? I don't want to make the first one and then see that i'm entirely wrong on how it should look ....
locodude0001

Postby Whiteeyes » Sat May 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Yeah, Celestia is worthless. Nopony will ever use it.
This signature needs to be about 20% more Mr. Bunny.

Countdown to the Zombie Appocalypse: 87 DAYS
The first time you see this, copy it in your signature and subtract one.
Whiteeyes

Postby Masterweaver » Sat May 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I felt that when I saw her costs get up too high....

I intend to have a location out tomorrow. Maybe the Boutique or something. OH! Slight note: cities and towns should probably be considered OFF LIMITS for locations, due to smaller sub-locations that would be with in them. A location should be a building, or a university tops. Around that size anyway.

P.S. While GLaDOS is a joke card, I would like to know how she stacks up balance-wise. Just to see if the system works.
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Whiteeyes wrote:Yeah, Celestia is worthless. Nopony will ever use it.

I thought the first one was alright, but weaver told me to change the ability ... though i think the FP is too low on a second look.

Here, a new version of the first draft. Yeah, i know the mid-line for a favor card is 10, rendering the ability worthless on those. But for the ones that are even just one point higher get something out of it.

Also, this.

Decided to make a location card anyway. I'd be more than happy to change the way it looks once i see an official one, i'm just going off what i saw a location needed.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, i made a coin, also. For fun.

I tried giving it a metallic look, but all i ended up doing was making it 2 gray pictures in a circle.
locodude0001

Postby Stylus_Pick » Sat May 28, 2011 7:24 pm

I would like to say that I have a card-building program that works fast and, provided others help to think of the cards, I could assist in making the cards more "professional" looking
Stylus_Pick

Postby Masterweaver » Sat May 28, 2011 7:48 pm

You know, I spent time designing the four different borders....

Speaking of which, Loco, have you been using only one card template for all your cards? There are four card templates because there are four borders, but I can't quite pick out the difference with yours. Maybe a border redesign is in order... although I'd like to maintain the actual size and structure otherwise.

Celestia's FP was OK, it was her ridiculous expense in both moving and loyalty that irked me. Celestia would be a powerful card, period, but that was just waaaaaay too high. The new stats are reasonable (except the times ten multiplier). Also, I denied Jokes because Celestia is the ruler; while jokes are part of her personality, they are not part of her power.

Dragon's Cave... I would suggest lowering favor to x2, and maybe adding another element, but it looks like it would be statwise okay. The power, again, introduces an element that wasn't accounted for in the basic rules; I like it, but I don't think it's right for this particular game. Maybe something like... "When a Favor is played on a Friend in this Location, the Friend is relocated after calculating Friend Points.
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Masterweaver wrote:You know, I spent time designing the four different borders....

Speaking of which, Loco, have you been using only one card template for all your cards? There are four card templates because there are four borders, but I can't quite pick out the difference with yours. Maybe a border redesign is in order... although I'd like to maintain the actual size and structure otherwise.

OH! There IS a difference with the cards, i didn't notice. They all looked the same to me, so i didn't bother to change out the template for each one.
locodude0001

Postby Masterweaver » Sat May 28, 2011 7:53 pm

.... would you mind changing the cards now? For convenience's sake.
Masterweaver

Postby locodude0001 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Masterweaver wrote:.... would you mind changing the cards now? For convenience's sake.

Of course, already working on it. Might not be done until late tomorrow, busybusybusy. Church, some charity my parents are making me go to, early birthday celebration ... heck, might not even be done until Monday ....
locodude0001

Postby Whiteeyes » Sat May 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Here is a tip. Color the boarders. For example, in Yu-gi-oh you can tell what type of card something is just by looking at its color. Tan for regular monsters, Brown for effect monsters, Green for spells, Light-Purple for traps, Dark-Purple for fusion monsters, Blue for ritual monsters, and White for syncro monsters. Magic the Gathering, another (if not the most) famous card-game also uses colors, but mainly to show which element a card is; it still utilizes colors though to inform people about the card at a glance. The Dragon Ball Z cardgame also uses colors to differentiate between the various martial arts styles, with Grey left over for miscellaneous cards, Villains being Red and Heroes being Blue. And yes there are Red and Blue fighting styles. I'd recommend the Yu-gi-oh model in this case, with Characters, Locations, Favors, and Threats each getting a different color.

Whiteeyes

Postby Masterweaver » Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 am

Yes, but what would the colors be? We couldn't have any of the colors associated with the Elements of Harmony, that would just cause confusion. That leaves us with... green, black, maybe red, and what else?
Masterweaver

Postby Whiteeyes » Sun May 29, 2011 6:11 am

Lets see, lets break down the colors you assigned to the elements and we can use whatever is left over. Let's see there's white for Generosity, yellow for Kindness, pink for Laughter, orange for Honesty, blue for Loyalty, and purple for Magic.

A list of open colors:
*Green (available in numerous shades so it's not too hard to double up.)
*Red (Not that many shades.)
*Black (No shades)
*Brown
*Tan
*Gold (Mistakable for yellow)
* Silver (" for white)
*Grey

Whiteeyes

Postby Masterweaver » Sun May 29, 2011 6:54 am

...Hold up, had a brainwave. Loyalty could be considered more a cyan...

Here they are, new templates for the FRIEND, FAVOR, THREAT, and LOCATION cards respectively!
Image Image Image Image

Hope this isn't too much of a hassle....
Masterweaver

Postby Masterweaver » Sun May 29, 2011 8:40 am

I WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE THAT I AM MOVING THIS PROJECT OFFSITE!

Specifically, to here. I've sent an update to ED, and I'm going to mention it to the MLPOnline ponies. Please, don't feel left out; come and join us! We need all the helping hooves we can get!

EDIT: Just a quick check. Loco, canyou post on the forums over there?
Masterweaver

Postby Crimson Risk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Are we still doing this? I posted on that site a few times but it looks pretty dead for the past 2 weeks. I have some ideas I'd like to share and discuss sometime.
Crimson Risk

Postby Mayday » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Crimson Risk wrote:Are we still doing this? I posted on that site a few times but it looks pretty dead for the past 2 weeks. I have some ideas I'd like to share and discuss sometime.

You can always start discussing it here and see if people want to talk about it here instead.
Mayday
Administrator

Previous

Return to Everypony else