View topic - SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA

SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA

Everything else not pony related can goes here

SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA

Postby Obsidian » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Looks like SOPA wasn't the only thing we had to worry about. There's an INTERNATIONAL law being looked at called ACTA that's FAR worse.
For a little motivation, look at the last part
Obsidian

Re: SOPA, PIPA, and ACTA

Postby Whiteeyes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 pm

And you can't be charged with a law that has not passed yet, that's UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Also, the justification for jurisdiction is delusional at best. It was that they had a minor back-up server on American soil for the company run out of China by people in New Zealand. I imagine that America will lose hundreds of modem pools from this as businesses in other countries fear having anything on our soil. That fear might even extend to having offices or factories on our soil; this could easily be a massive setback to our economy. This was a 'shock and awe' attempt that not only went badly, but has galvanized the public to more actively oppose the bill than just a 'here is a petition'. Anonymous members in response tore down every website that belonged to an organization that actively supports SOPA and/or PIPA. Since any Anonymous attack is literally carried out by one, and only one, random person working on their own, this is hilarious. Now while I doubt each site got taken out by the same person, the main gist of it is that the site that said 'we can control the internet' got taken out in retaliation. That means entire teams of government employed experts were beaten by one guy. Or girl. Who might not even be on this continent.
This signature needs to be about 20% more Mr. Bunny.

Countdown to the Zombie Appocalypse: 87 DAYS
The first time you see this, copy it in your signature and subtract one.
Whiteeyes

Postby Kari Lightsworn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Oh, are you kidding me? My faith in humanity is fading once again. Is it wrong for me to be hoping for Anon to stage an attack to teach a lesson? [Yes, but still.] Oh, wait, there already has been one, if I'm reading Whiteeye's post right? Anon does not waste time.

Anyway, I was actually already a part of this, due to an IRL friend sending me an invite to a steam group promoting this. I'm on board, completely.
Kari Lightsworn

Postby no space » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 am

Official Petition! It only takes a few seconds to create an account and sign if you don't already have one.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#! ... t/MwfSVNBK

On a tangentially related note, you should also sign this one on reducing Copyright terms.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#! ... s/MnXrd3xG
no space

Postby LennonFan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:09 am

I signed!
LennonFan

Postby RainbowQuill » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:51 pm

https://www.accessnow.org/page/s/just-say-no-to-acta

sign this one too! We're almost there!
RainbowQuill

Postby Chell » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 pm

First off, I wanna say, I WILL be participating in the boycott in March.

Secondly, I agree that the Megaupload thing is completely out of hand, and those guys shouldn't have been arrested. HOWEVER...the one thing I don't disagree with is the jurisdiction issue. While they, themselves, were physically not in the US...some of the computers they were using, were. Therefore, unfortunately, the supposed "crime" was committed on American soil. I do hope that when taken to court, the ruling goes in their favor, but I have this sinking feeling, it's not. Not only did they have computers on American soil, they hosted the files on their server...

As I said, I disagree with what happened. I don't think it's right. But no one asked me. The fact of the matter is, while New Zealand doesn't have any local laws, they did sign onto ACTA back in October, along with the US...which means, unfortunately, that--if they were as lenient with pirates on MU as they've been accused of being, it unfortunately was illegal in their country... Ironically, if they only spread subject matter originating from New Zealand, they'd probably still be at home, kicking back drinks.

Again, I'm not condoning what happened. I'm not supporting the decision. I think it was taking things too far. I will be participating in the boycott. But the sad truth is, it was unfortunately legal, what happened. I hope they're found not guilty. I know they cleaned out pirated materials when it was brought to their attention, so I've got my fingers crossed that they can make a claim of attempting to keep piracy down on their site. I'm not optimistic about it, but I am hopeful.
Chell

Postby Chell » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:51 pm

I wanted to do some more research before I started signing petitions on this. At first, what I saw didn't sound *too* bad, but as more and more information is coming to light, I'm liking it less and less.

Another petition. Let me share it with you.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_int ... d/?cEPDRab
Chell

Postby Chell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Guess who's back again?

This time, it's called CISPA, and they're trying to rush it through a back door. Again. Will these idiots ever learn? For the sake of our ponies and all things we love, please sign a couple petitions:

http://act.demandprogress.org/act/new_s ... e%3Dauto-e

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa/?cl= ... 71&v=13512

Once you've signed 'em, please pass 'em along.

Thank you. I'll now return you to your regularly-scheduled Ponies.
Chell

Postby Sandy_Rivers » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 am

Well... it's certainly a step in the right direction. It's no SOPA or PIPA but yeah... that language is still unnecessarily broad.

Allowing private companies to monitor, modify or block any level of communication on the grounds of either "cybersecurity" (which isn't defined) or "degrading the network" (also not defined) with full legal immunity is worrisome. The Bill's heart is in the right place and doesn't openly attack websites for its users actions. It barely even addresses copyrighted materials. However, it's those broad definitions that could get us into trouble.

If they tightened down the terminology, I wouldn't be opposed to this bill. It creates a network by which companies and the government can share information about legitimate threats to their systems like hacker rings and viruses. In fact, this could have really come in handy a few days ago:

I'm an IT professional and I work at a company that frequently deals with Medicaid information. Last Friday, we noticed an attempted hack on our system and shut it down. Had this bill been in place, we could have taken the info we collected about the attempt and shared it with other companies and government organizations. That could have been really useful because not two days later, my State's Department of Technology Services and Department of Health were hit (probably by the same people) and an estimated 24,000 medicaid claims were compromised. That's an awful lot of social security numbers, names and addresses that could now be in the hands of some very bad people.

Yes, I know that's just anecdotal evidence, but you see what I'm getting at. When taken in the right direction, this protects not just the companies but the users who's information is at stake in all of this.
Sandy_Rivers

Postby Whiteeyes » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:54 am

Signed. Also, quick show of hooves, who here besides me actually went through the whole month of March without buying anything?
This signature needs to be about 20% more Mr. Bunny.

Countdown to the Zombie Appocalypse: 87 DAYS
The first time you see this, copy it in your signature and subtract one.
Whiteeyes

Postby Obsidian » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:10 am

Whiteeyes wrote:Signed. Also, quick show of hooves, who here besides me actually went through the whole month of March without buying anything?

Nothing namebrand. I still had to but food and gas you know.
Obsidian

Postby Chell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I did! Not a single movie, CD, song, DVD, video game. Nothing media-related at all for me in March.

Though I was holding the Friendship Express DVD in my hooves for a few minutes... It was a very strong temptation.

Sandy: Agreed, but again, the broad and undefined terminology make it more dangerous than helpful...and until these issues are fixed, it doesn't matter how good-natured it seems; it still just comes across as them trying to control the rest of the Internet, and disguising it as something good.
Chell

Postby Chell » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:05 am

I've heard rumor that in Arizona, they're trying to ban trolling on the Internet... As I understand it, the language of the law states that a person shall not harass, cause problems for, offend, or upset another person intentionally, during their Internet activities.

..."Hi, my name is Chell."

Hey, lookit that. Somepony got offended, I bet. Should I be taken to court for it?

If anypony knows more information, or knows where petitions are to sign for it, please post them here.
Chell

Postby Mayday » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:22 am

List of Corporations supporting CISPA http://intelligence.house.gov/bill/cybe ... n-act-2011

text of the bill

TL;DR: This bill allows the govenment to share classified threat information with companies that are being targeted by hackers.
Mayday
Administrator

Return to General Mayhem